Should I monetize from the beginning?

Huge debate around this point. I am for here is why.

1. Even if its pennies a day, its more than nothing.
2. At this point everyone is used to commercials on videos, it doesn't turn people away.
3. At the end of the day, it all comes down to views if something goes viral and is not monetized you loose out.

The advice here for small channels is to not monetize. Basically the whole idea of it is that an ad especially those 5 second skippable ads are going to drive viewers away. I had them up before reading those and immediately took them down. The only ads I have are those tiny little banners on the bottom of the video.

Huge debate around this point. I am for here is why.

1. Even if its pennies a day, its more than nothing.
2. At this point everyone is used to commercials on videos, it doesn't turn people away.
3. At the end of the day, it all comes down to views if something goes viral and is not monetized you loose out.
I was thinking the same thing regarding tip number 3 you mentioned.

I am not in it just for the money but making a few bucks is a must, since I am not working at the moment.[DOUBLEPOST=1477678486,1477678357][/DOUBLEPOST]
The advice here for small channels is to not monetize. Basically the whole idea of it is that an ad especially those 5 second skippable ads are going to drive viewers away. I had them up before reading those and immediately took them down. The only ads I have are those tiny little banners on the bottom of the video.
I think I am going to do the same thing here, just so that people wont be chased away by skippable ads.

i monetise mine regardless, i know its not a lot but i earn about 1 pound a month which is better then nothing and i still find pretty cool, and you never know if one will go viral earning you loads!

I don't have monetized turned on because I just don't feel like I have anything that will go viral and I don't have that many subscribers so I do want people to give my videos a chance.

I appreciate all the advice everyone has given so far. I am going to sit down and think about whether I am going to monetize my videos from the beginning or if I am going to wait.[DOUBLEPOST=1477678979,1477678925][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't have monetized turned on because I just don't feel like I have anything that will go viral and I don't have that many subscribers so I do want people to give my videos a chance.
You never know if a video is going to go viral :)

I appreciate all the advice everyone has given so far. I am going to sit down and think about whether I am going to monetize my videos from the beginning or if I am going to wait.[DOUBLEPOST=1477678979,1477678925][/DOUBLEPOST]
You never know if a video is going to go viral :)
I guess that's true haha but yeah let us know what you decide. I'd be interested in knowing why you made the decision you'll make. Just because I'm also in the same boat and its nice to get different opnions

It used to be that people would skip YouTube videos that had commercials in front of them unless they were really popular, but now all YouTube videos seem to have commercials on them, so I think it's no big deal anymore.

I guess that's true haha but yeah let us know what you decide. I'd be interested in knowing why you made the decision you'll make. Just because I'm also in the same boat and its nice to get different opnions
For now, I think I will just enable Overlay ads on my videos, that way people wont be chased away by skippable ads or anything.

Back