Should I join Maker?

LionWaffles

I've Got It
Hi, I got an email saying that I was invited to join Maker Studios. I've heard a lot of bad things about them - like them not releasing your channel from their CMS, but I see that the bigger YouTubers are actually partnered with them. I always monetize my videos, although they don't make a lot of money - just under 30 cents per video, but it adds up. It's not a huge problem if my channel is going to grow with Maker but if it's not then I don't think I want to join it.

TL;DR: I am debating weather to join Maker Studios or not.

Personally, I'd say you're a bit small and new to be considering joining a network because I don't think they'd give you the respect you deserve at this point because you don't have the numbers right now! I'd wait it out a little bit and just keep growing organically :)

Personally, I'd say you're a bit small and new to be considering joining a network because I don't think they'd give you the respect you deserve at this point because you don't have the numbers right now! I'd wait it out a little bit and just keep growing organically :)
What numbers do you guys think I should have to join a network?

like them not releasing your channel from their CMS.
They do, once your agreement with them is up and if you wish to terminate it. Otherwise, it is a 1-2 year term. Personally, as I've said before, never sign anything over 1 year as online video changes so fast and you don't want to be tied down for very long to one network.

Well it depends on what Maker offered you if there is a one year or longer contract I wouldn't do it as 6 months from now you might want to change networks but you'll be locked in. Also see how much of a percentage of your earning they are taking and see if it's worth it for what features the network provides to you. Most networks aren't going to make you just grow you have to do a lot of that work yourself but they'll give you some tools to help you do so.

What numbers do you guys think I should have to join a network?
When I joined Maker 3 years ago, I had just under 300 subscribers, if that number is any help as a guideline.

To all of the people who are sitting here saying "Don't join if the contract term is over a year", and all the other people who say Maker is a "bad" MCN: Maker Studios was acquired by the Walt Disney Company in late 2013. For someone considering joining a network this means several things.

One: The network is extremely stable financially. Disney has taken over the payment of partners; and if you are a member who is paid by cheque, the cheques you receive for your cut are issued by The Disney Company.

Two: The network will not just declare insolubility and disappear one day unless Disney divests itself of the MCN portion of Maker Studios (you are aware of course, that the multichannel network section is only a piece of the totality of Maker, right?).

Three: This is not a statement of fact; but there is the possibility that if dissatisfied with Maker Operations, one might be able to escalate a complaint to the parent company, though to some this would be seen as bad practice.

I'd definitely join again over something like Freedom or one of the younger and mostly untried networks, even though the initial contract is two years. I've entered upon my 4th year, and only as this contract nears its close will I begin to consider whether or not to renew. If I don't renew, I will fly free rather than join another.

For YTTalk mods: The preceeding has not been an attempt to recruit; only to explain how in spite of the bad press Maker has received, it isn't the "Dark Horse" people seem to think it is!

Last edited:
was partnered with them before, no big issues, only one thing, their support is terribly slow, I mean real slow. I receive payments through paypal, but their paypal system always some kind of broken, causing late payments. But they are definitely not a scam.

Personally I wouldnt take any less than 90% for a new channel, you want the best cut and there are networks that provide very similar features and value to partners without taking as much.

Back