Reddit, the weapon I just can't shoot with.

Alexander Nedelchev

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello, friends!
Since one week I am struggling with that powerful "weapon".
I've watched videos about people posting and after couple of hours the traffic in their channel is HUGE.
For some reason I can't manage to do the same.
I've watched videos about it, but for some reason I don't do it right.
I've posted in the right subreddits, but no success, not at all.
For an example, my last video was about the top 10 crazy facts about marijuana ( Because when I wrote "How to" in the youtube search bar this was on of the ones that popped up in the drop menu ), so when I uploaded it I went to reddit, wrote "Marijuana" to search and after that I went to the /r/Marijuana place. I posted the video and everything right. The video now ( almost 24 hours later ) has 2 views ( 1 of them mine ) and the post is on 22 place.
What am I doing wrong ?

Reactions: Niels Cornelissen

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Reddit can be a fickle place to be honest. I mean I do ok with it because generally the cooking niche is all about discovering and showing each other recipes. I've posted in the r/videos before and got some abuse for no real reason. I also post a lot of other people's content in sub reddits not just my own. It's a fickle website I'd say just find a couple of sub reddits and stick at it.

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
One thing that helped me on reddit was the way I title the post. (This was on the Rise Against subreddit) Rather than writing "Rise Against Acoustic Video!" I'd write "Hey guys, I've made a video covering Rise Against with 7 guitars. I thought you guys here might enjoy :)" that way you come across friendly, not hiding anything and providing the reason you're posting to that subreddit. The post I did on there got stickied by the mods so they liked it a lot. Hope this helps, good luck!

Niels Cornelissen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yeah I've been struggling with this myself. Most subreddits tend to feel rather spammy. Might make a special subreddit for our own content at some point tho.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've been avoiding Reddit because based on past-experience a lot of people there tend to be A-holes and will take any opportunity to flame you - and posting an imperfect video or looking even a tiny bit spammy will bring in an onslaught of stupidity and hate.

Reactions: Alexander Nedelchev

Alexander Nedelchev

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been avoiding Reddit because based on past-experience a lot of people there tend to be A-holes and will take any opportunity to flame you - and posting an imperfect video or looking even a tiny bit spammy will bring in an onslaught of stupidity and hate.
Might be right, but I have seen people bringing a lot of traffic into their channel because of reddit.
I guess if I manage to do it right, the cost is small, I mean.. flamers just get ignored and that's all.[DOUBLEPOST=1488639035,1488639007][/DOUBLEPOST]
One thing that helped me on reddit was the way I title the post. (This was on the Rise Against subreddit) Rather than writing "Rise Against Acoustic Video!" I'd write "Hey guys, I've made a video covering Rise Against with 7 guitars. I thought you guys here might enjoy :)" that way you come across friendly, not hiding anything and providing the reason you're posting to that subreddit. The post I did on there got stickied by the mods so they liked it a lot. Hope this helps, good luck!
Thank you very much, now I am thinking of way to trick them with the title :D[DOUBLEPOST=1488639082][/DOUBLEPOST]
Reddit can be a fickle place to be honest. I mean I do ok with it because generally the cooking niche is all about discovering and showing each other recipes. I've posted in the r/videos before and got some abuse for no real reason. I also post a lot of other people's content in sub reddits not just my own. It's a fickle website I'd say just find a couple of sub reddits and stick at it.
Why the other people videos ? Interesting ..

Alexander Nedelchev

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The secret to Reddit is the timing of your post. I made a thread on it a while back. I've accumulated over 100k views from Reddit just the past year, and it's what really got my channel snowballing.
I've just read it. It is good written and has some good information, but you explain how the algorithm works and that's great,but in the example you say 100 upvotes, well.. my problem is that I don't get even 2-3. Literally no one has seen it, upvoted or downvoted. It's good to know how to work, but when you can't get to use it .. as in my case ..

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I've just read it. It is good written and has some good information, but you explain how the algorithm works and that's great,but in the example you say 100 upvotes, well.. my problem is that I don't get even 2-3. Literally no one has seen it, upvoted or downvoted. It's good to know how to work, but when you can't get to use it .. as in my case ..
I don't think you understand the algorithm correctly. If you can truly grasp what I've written, you can rank #1 on really huge subreddits without a single upvote! Then once you're #1, you will appear in the front page of Reddit, and people will naturally just upvote your post and you snowball like crazy. Over night in the right subreddit, you can get 1000-10000+ views

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Might be right, but I have seen people bringing a lot of traffic into their channel because of reddit.
I guess if I manage to do it right, the cost is small, I mean.. flamers just get ignored and that's all.[DOUBLEPOST=1488639035,1488639007][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thank you very much, now I am thinking of way to trick them with the title :D[DOUBLEPOST=1488639082][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why the other people videos ? Interesting ..
Because the reddit community doesn't like self promotion even if it is good content. By sharing other peoples videos that you like it shows you are passionate about the subject and not just put for yourself