Reddit Sucks...

hcetiny

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wanted to start slow and be a member of the community first before posting my videos. I wanted to comment in some discussions, where I have knowledge or expertise. These comments were mostly ignored, a few of them upvoted or downvoted. So, my karma is still "1".

I will give it a rest and start sometime later. Now, I am focussing on creating content.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Keep in mind that comment karma is tracked separately from link karma. Earning comment karma is not super straightforward, as many times people read comments without voting on any of them. So, to get a lot of votes on comments requires exceptionally funny/informative/etc comments.

If you have a good sense for what content is appreciated on a subreddit, getting link karma will be easier. Lurking to get a sense of what is appreciated is a good thing.

GooberVlogs

Happy New Year
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
oh well.. If I'm banned I'm banned not gunna cry about it lolz I was not a fan of the site anyways :) Youtube and yttalk are the only 2 sites I visit everyday:happy:

Owlins

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First of all Reddit CAN be a great place to get those much needed views for smaller youtube channels, but you really have to know how to work it. When I started a few weeks ago I didn't have a single clue, but spending some time there gets me quite a few views extra depending on how popular the content is.

I get that Reddit has some sort of reddiquette, but it seems sooo freaking random at times. I've build up a good standing with the different subreddits I want to post my vids in and I've noticed that if I post a gaming vid in /r/gaming it's fine. I always make sure I put in a different title instead of (example) Fallout 4 Gameplay Part 2 blabla.

Tried posting two or three vids a week once without being too active and you'll get a warning. Which kinda makes sense, but I feel it's random as hell because I see other people post multiple vids as well.

Anyway, try to build op a good standing (Link Karma and Comment Karma) in the subreddit that you would like to post in and don't overdo it. That's my experience at least.

Good luck!

Action Toys Fun

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Okay so is there a way to properly use reddit?? I post comments and whenI upload a video and add subreddit newtuber or anything it seems like my video don't show up??? I don't get it.. How do people use reddit is they just delete everything you post
Yah, Reddit folks don't like self promotion, unless the Reddit is for that purpose. I've posted some stop motion videos before under the stop motion Reddit which are well received because that's what the Reddit is for. I've also posted a few things on other Reddits only to see them get hammered with down votes and negative comments, so lesson learned. I've read that you need to remember Reddit is a community, and to be involved by posting other worthwhile content and responses, and like LiveLoopers said only about 10% of your own content such as videos.

Reactions: RobCoxxy

Entityofsin

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
On this whole thing about whether or not people on Reddit like self promotion topic is a bit easy to figure out. Just look around in the sub reddit that is about the material your video covers. If you're a gaming channel, then looking at the rules of the sub reddit is important and then checking out the kind of content people are upvoting and what isn't getting upvotes.

Each sub reddit is a little different. Take any MOBA sub reddit for an example. If you post just regular posts in other people's threads you can get down voted for no reason. So when you post videos and self promote, it's possible that your content will get completely ignored or get a couple upvotes. Where as in other gaming sub reddits this wouldn't be the case. However, this will most likely be the case for any game that people consider competitive. Why? Because people will smell the BS in your post and call you out on it. Post content that shows off your experience, knowledge, skill, etc. and you'll be fine.

Of course all of this is different when it comes to other topical material on Reddit. When it comes to cooking or music, things are a bit different than it is with competitive video games. You'll probably receive a lot more warming welcome into the community's fold. But as already mentioned it's important to try and be a part of the community rather than just posting your content. It's spammy. People don't like spammy things.

Another thing to make sure that you could do is try and create content that is adding value or addressing a problem or issue your channel's target audience might have. That way when you share it on Reddit and other social media platforms, you'll get a much more positive reception towards your content.

You don't even need to figure all this out with your own content. You could test this out by using other people's content instead and trying it with a variety of different approaches to the content.

As for being shadow banned, could always make another account or message one of the sub reddit mods and find out. If you are, then ask why. They could very well unban you if you communicate with them. Just an idea if that's the case.

InstaSound

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
On reddit, quality is more important than everyone else. If you have great content, there is a great chance it goes viral on reddit and brings in hundreds or even thousands of views, but if your video is just average or poor, you will get downvoted in a matter of seconds.

Reactions: WilliamRayWalters