Playlist Strategies

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So, I just watched (and then re-watched) Derral Eves Decoding The New YouTube Algorithm 2017 - How To Grow Fast on YouTube Pt. 2. He talks about playlists and playlist strategies at 25:11, 33:45 and 37:00. And probably a few other times too.

He has a lot of interesting points. The one I want to focus on is when he says that creating playlists will help with what shows up in suggested videos. So, YT will think the videos in this playlist belong together, and will start suggesting those videos even if you're not watching the actual playlist.

Would this mean that if I wanted my videos to show up as suggested content on a different channels' videos that I could put them all in a playlist together, and YT might start to think they're related? Or would that be shady? Like: I have playground videos. Should I make a playground videos playlist featuring my channel and a different, much more popular, kids and playgrounds channel? YouTube does allow you to put videos that aren't your own into playlists.

On a different note: Does anyone out there have a playlist strategy that works for you?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, yes, and yes.

I first noticed this playlist strategy from a channel called Hailey's Magical playground in the early part of 2016. That channel had alternating videos from their channel and other channels, but always closely linked to the video topic. So they had surprise box playlists, giant egg playlists, peppa pig playlists, etc, etc. I recall they had fairly large views across those playlists, and drove traffic to them through the elements in existence at that time (annotations). HMP no longer use that strategy (last I checked was early 2017) when they hit 1M subs.

I would recommend a 2 pronged strategy. One is where you create clean playlists with your own videos only. Two, where you create playlists with alternating videos (me, you, me, you, me, you, etc). You can drill down fairly well, so for example now they have the "floor is lava challenge", so you can certainly do that video and make a playlists on that topic.

I think a key characteristic, even though Derrel doesn't mention it, is driving traffic to the lists. Associations are made through actual watch time, not simply lumping videos together, otherwise it will be too easy to game - make 10,000 playlists associating your videos with all the other big channels and theoretically you have all the associations. Way too easy to game for spammers. Watch time is hard to game, so I think the critical component is getting viewers into that viewing stream and watching you, me, you, me, etc and building that time across the videos and channels.

I think there's nothing shady about it. The functionality exists, Yt creator training says to make playlists. No where have I seen anything that says don't make combined playlists. And viewers may actually enjoy binge watching videos about certain topics.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking about doing! Alternating me you me you etc. with related videos.

Your point about driving traffic to the playlists makes sense. The problem is, if I knew how to drive traffic to playlists, then I would probably know how to drive traffic to my videos! Lol. I could link to them with my cards, but I only have about a 1% click rate on my cards. Any thoughts?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking about doing! Alternating me you me you etc. with related videos.

Your point about driving traffic to the playlists makes sense. The problem is, if I knew how to drive traffic to playlists, then I would probably know how to drive traffic to my videos! Lol. I could link to them with my cards, but I only have about a 1% click rate on my cards. Any thoughts?
There's really only Cards and End Screens. End Screens seems to have a higher click rate than Cards. Another way is to rotate playlists on your home page and have the home page change every 2-3 days highlighting different lists. Apart from that it's only about traffic you are correct. If videos have little traffic, hence the channel, playlists will have the same issue. Only thing I can suggest is align with growing, not too big, channels and see if they do some cool content you can do as well. More chance to get on suggested of a channel with 20-50k subs than one with 1M subs. The things that @FamilyToyReview talked about in the other thread about topic and keyword concentration will help over the longer term. As a short term traffic boost, there's adwords, which I'm sure you're aware of.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
More chance to get on suggested of a channel with 20-50k subs than one with 1M subs. The things that @FamilyToyReview talked about in the other thread about topic and keyword concentration will help over the longer term. As a short term traffic boost, there's adwords, which I'm sure you're aware of.
Yeah, I don't think I'm at the place where I want to do adwords, yet. Maybe sometime in the future. That's a good point about 20-50k sub channels. I can see how we would be more likely to be suggested there. Thanks!

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It seems Deral talks about the playlist strategy more as a means to "trick" YouTube into thinking you are uploading more than you are, as opposed to building traffic via playlists. Creating a playlist creates a new unique digital ID just like uploading a video, so Youtuhe thinks you have new content. But you still have the exact same trouble getting traffic to the playlist as you do getting traffic to your individual, standalone videos.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It seems Deral talks about the playlist strategy more as a means to "trick" YouTube into thinking you are uploading more than you are
Yes, that is what Derryl is talking about in the video OP is referring to. He's essentially saying: "Uploading new videos is very important. If for whatever reason, you can't upload a new video, the next best thing is to upload a new playlist because YouTube will see this as 'new activity' "

Meh, I'm not convinced tbh. Yes, it's considered as the creator being active on his channel, but so what? So is replying to comments.

Yes, playlists are important but they should be used to generate traffic directly and in order to give the viewers a better experience. Once you start doing things with the sole aim of influencing the algorithm, then you start getting into greyhat area. If someone is creating playlists every day of the week to simulate uploading and no other reason, then it's going to look very spammy indeed.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yes, that is what Derryl is talking about in the video OP is referring to. He's essentially saying: "Uploading new videos is very important. If for whatever reason, you can't upload a new video, the next best thing is to upload a new playlist because YouTube will see this as 'new activity' "

Meh, I'm not convinced tbh. Yes, it's considered as the creator being active on his channel, but so what? So is replying to comments.
What I understood was that playlists create a new URL so it's considered new content. Much more than just being active or new activity. Same thing, that adding a video to a playlist you already have also creates a new URL.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
What I understood was that playlists create a new URL so it's considered new content. Much more than just being active or new activity. Same thing, that adding a video to a playlist you already have also creates a new URL.
Yes, I understand the reasoning behind it. I know that a playlist creates a new "id". So what? So does everything in IT. That's how databases work.

My point is there is no evidence or official source (from Youtube) that creating a new playlist to "trick" the algorithm into seeing new "content" is resulting in the algorithm giving a direct boost to the channel. If you have a source other than Deryl, I'd love to see it.

Yes, playlists are good because they help viewers navigate lots of related videos. They also help build up associations and chains between videos. I don't dispute that. But I don't believe that simply creating a playlist every day or whatever just for the sake of faking new content has any effect at all.

Also, what I'm saying is channels creating playlists left, right and centre with the sole purpose of feeding the algorithm and little regard for usability or the real purpose of playlists should be very careful.

Bennett's Playtime

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yes, playlists are good because they help viewers navigate lots of related videos. They also help build up associations and chains between videos. I don't dispute that. But I don't believe that simply creating a playlist every day or whatever just for the sake of faking new content has any effect at all.

Also, what I'm saying is channels creating playlists left, right and centre with the sole purpose of feeding the algorithm and little regard for usability or the real purpose of playlists should be very careful.
That makes sense.