Obviously can't make a YouTube schedule what do I do?

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I just got a new job. It's random days and random times. i don't know what times or days till like the night before. Therefore I can't post a youtube schedule. So what do I do? also with cover songs etc I get permission before I even record them so sometimes it takes months just to hear back. Again can't post a schedule that says "new cover weekly"

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have a similar situation. I work as a chef and do not have a consistent schedule. I do have slightly more notice than you have though.

What I think you need to do is to work in advance and schedule your videos for the future. Give yourself a month. That way if you can't get a video done by the end of the week you can make up for it sometime in the following three weeks.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have a similar situation. I work as a chef and do not have a consistent schedule. I do have slightly more notice than you have though.

What I think you need to do is to work in advance and schedule your videos for the future. Give yourself a month. That way if you can't get a video done by the end of the week you can make up for it sometime in the following three weeks.
So you are saying work on videos for a month? What happens if I can't film half the month?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Dont bother with a schedule.. I doubt anyone is standing by their computer holding their breath waiting for your (or anyone's) next video to drop - especially when all they need to do is click on their Subscriptions button to see everyone's newest videos.
IMHO, keeping a schedule not only makes no sense, it's a waste of effort.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Dont bother with a schedule.. I doubt anyone is standing by their computer holding their breath waiting for your (or anyone's) next video to drop - especially when all they need to do is click on their Subscriptions button to see everyone's newest videos.
IMHO, keeping a schedule not only makes no sense, it's a waste of effort.
Thank you! I'm glad someone said this. I always felt the same way. I felt that if I set a schedule I was pressuring myself. I will be making using my other channel for more videos that aren't related to my main channel such as my interests, when I have been up to etc.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Bulk record in the free time that you have, get a good amount of videos under your belt (Im extreme I schedule for 3 months in advance) and then just schedule upload your videos. Use a calandar to plan so you dont clash or randomly fill one week with loads of videos and you'll be well on the right track :) I work Monday to friday 8 till 6 and I only occasionally get weekends free. so I use my weekend time to mass record and edit 3-4 episodes of my show and then I schedule them in so I know I'll be covered for at least the next month or so for videos :) It might not particularly matter in the grand scheme of things but I find it so much easier to schedule than to do it randomly. it gives me the motivation to keep producing :) if I didnt schedule I'd have probably made 10 videos; got bored and drifted off :p

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Bulk record in the free time that you have, get a good amount of videos under your belt (Im extreme I schedule for 3 months in advance) and then just schedule upload your videos. Use a calandar to plan so you dont clash or randomly fill one week with loads of videos and you'll be well on the right track :) I work Monday to friday 8 till 6 and I only occasionally get weekends free. so I use my weekend time to mass record and edit 3-4 episodes of my show and then I schedule them in so I know I'll be covered for at least the next month or so for videos :)
except my problem is that my other job is filming and recording for clients so I have to have my editing program taken up by hours and hours of business projects and I can't use the computer for my own stuff. I have three weddings I've been editing for 3 months and they still aren't done.

Reactions: TYTD

TYTD

Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
except my problem is that my other job is filming and recording for clients so I have to have my editing program taken up by hours and hours of business projects and I can't use the computer for my own stuff. I have three weddings I've been editing for 3 months and they still aren't done.
Well obviously paid work or gig work takes priority over youtube so the answer then is make one update video saying your keeping your head down for a bit while you finish off a few paid projects and you'll be back to making videos whenever your finished (If you have a rough idea when add a month on and say that) that way your subs wont wonder where the hell you've gone and you dont have to worry about you not uploading content. then focus on your gigs, get them finished and pick up youtube when your done :) Im in the same boat man, I manage a post production house and we regularly get clients who need a bit more TLC so I regularly bring gig and paid work home to work on in my downtime :) it's just about getting your balance right and knowing your limits :)

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Well obviously paid work or gig work takes priority over youtube so the answer then is make one update video saying your keeping your head down for a bit while you finish off a few paid projects and you'll be back to making videos whenever your finished (If you have a rough idea when add a month on and say that) that way your subs wont wonder where the hell you've gone and you dont have to worry about you not uploading content. then focus on your gigs, get them finished and pick up youtube when your done :) Im in the same boat man, I manage a post production house and we regularly get clients who need a bit more TLC so I regularly bring gig and paid work home to work on in my downtime :) it's just about getting your balance right and knowing your limits :)
right but I still don't think a schedule will work for me. As I said I get permission pay royalties etc for my parodies etc. It takes months just to even get an artist to review a parody I made.

Reactions: TYTD

TYTD

Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
right but I still don't think a schedule will work for me. As I said I get permission pay royalties etc for my parodies etc. It takes months just to even get an artist to review a parody I made.
Well if thats the case, plan your video,then ask for permission and while your waiting work on your paid gigs, then when you finally get permission if it takes months you should have finished some of your commitments and you can plan shooting your video knowing you've got the preproduction side down to a tee :) I realise post is a very long and difficult stage but if you make preproduction and production as smooth as possible Post can be a breeze :)