Non-supportive parents

Wow that's terrible that your own Dad did that! OMG I would have lost it to pay so much money for that and someone else tried to tear it up! ARGH! :( Not cool dude. I'm sorry you had/have to go through that. You know what though, you just wait it out for as long as you can until you can finally leave and do whatever it is you want in life! It will feel good when you do just hang in there! :) I'm rooting for you!

Similar situation here except that I am the dad and I do not slam the laptop and it was me who bought it. But anyway - homework absolute priority over YouTube (both watching and/or making). Moreover she (my daughter) is trying to do something she doesn't completely understand (she is 10) and I can not completely explain it to her or I will kill her enthusiasm (and I do not want to do this).
My point - give us (the parents) some slack too. We do not really think your bad. We do not want to see you wasting your time for something which may or may not work. Your education on the other hand will be always with you and it even may be handy if you decide to use it!

PS. If people (especially man) are underslept or suddenly awaken - they can be quite unreasonable sometimes. Trust me on that! :)

Parent's usually will never understand a kid's dream...unless that dream is to be a doctor or whatever. PewDiePie's mom kicked him out if I'm not wrong when he quit college to do YouTube. Parents do not see YouTube as a "fire-way" to make money, only work, get a degree and work 9-5. Especially those parents of Asian descent or parents that immigrated to the U.S. It's the norm man, but that's bogus that your dad did that especially with something you paid for. But you know how it goes, MY ROOF MY RULES!!!!! Hopefully you can keep continuing what you've been doing.

I feel you so much. However, my parents are supportive of what I do, but I don't live with my parents. I live with a jerk of an uncle (at most times) and a strict grandmother. My uncle doesn't like me always being on my laptop, I can't record on most days when theyre there because they dont like me screaming. They like the thought of me making videos probably, but not supportive of it because they don't seem to grasp this idea that I could be big through this, or maybe they do but they know its a long shot. It's okay. I just wanna leave them once I finish college, I believe in my content, and I keep going because I know that I have a lot of people to prove wrong.

So sorry to hear this is how your dad reacted..having the people close to us in life and not having their support can be so tough! Just keep at it and just continue to prove to your dad that you are amazing

Given the information you provided, my best guess is that he assumed you were neglecting getting ready for school to "play around" on your computer. He might also be in a bad mood already, and he may have other instances in mind where maybe he thought you were neglecting responsibilities because you wanted to be on your laptop.

I would ask why he did that, explain that you made sure you got ready for school first, and come to some agreement with him and your mom about what an acceptable morning routine would be and where video editing could fit into it. A lot of conflict is born from miscommunication and assumptions.

I definitely think it was an overreaction on your dad's part and you didn't do anything wrong. But as far as spending your own money on it, I'm sure there are plenty of things he's spent money on for you, though I'm not saying it was right of him to do that. But if he did actually damage it, while in a better mood no reasonable person, especially a parent, would have any problem paying for repairs or replacement.

What are your grades in school like? When will you be 18? I'm lucky to be old enough to not have internet exist until after I was 18.

From your parents point of view, even a good job is still super hard work, takes years to get and you won't always like it. So with that in mind, the less than ideal job really can be hell. Maybe he knows this from experience and doesn't want that to happen to you. He might not see your path to success but knows how hard it is to get a decent average life. My dad used to yell at me for wasting money on CDs but sure could use that money now

If they arent supporting what you want to do you got to still follow your passion, save money go to school to study film show them that you are dedicted and if not just move out

I just need to vent a little.

My dream is to be a filmmaker, and this is a way to work towards that dream. So today I woke up 4am, the reason for this is because I wanted to edit my Vlog. I take from 4-4:50to prepare for school, that gives me from 5-7:30 to edit. I got about 30 minutes of editing in, then my Dad comes out of his room and he slams down my laptop screen, and take my laptop brings it to the living room and slams it on the table. (This is a Laptop that I bought with my own money, I picked up extra hours at work to get this laptop) When I headed the slam of the laptop on the table I was just about to lose my sh*t and start yelling, unfortunately I can't do that or else I will get my a** beat. Now I'm still p****d and I'm really just excited of the day when I turn 18 and being able to leave them and stick a middle finger out as I do so.
Thank you for reading, I just had to get this out.

I thInk because of the generation parents do not understand that YouTube can be a career and if you do it right you can earn a large amount of money. Maybe tell them that this is what you like and they can't physically stop you from doing this once your 18.

Back