Newbie Needing Advice!

Tom Ronayne

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been watching YouTube videos for ages now, and I really want to start making my own videos. Loads of my friends do it, and it looks really exciting.

I'd really like to do gaming videos, mainly on Minecraft.

I'd love to make videos that loads of people watch, but the occasional videos I make are awful, and get very few views.

Could some experienced YouTubers please give me a bit of advice on how to make good videos and build up a fan base?

Thanks!
Tom

slayerkm

Daily Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey and welcome,

There are hundred of posts just like this instead of going over it all i would recommend hoping over to the guide section there are some amazing threads with a lot of details, people have put a lot of time into the threads to help others go check them out!

Good luck :)

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Here's a list of pointers:

Find dependable video and audio recording software. OBS and Audacity are free ones that work fairly well. Learn those programs and how they work.

Find a dependable video and image editing software. You can pick up the Adobe Creative Cloud for $20 a month if you're a student. It comes with most of the Adobe software. The three main ones you'll want to learn are Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and Audition. Watch a bunch of tutorials on them, and learn how they work.

Save up for a professional condenser microphone. There's many threads on this site that have more information about them than I have. The price for most beginner ones is around $70.

Create a brand. Define who you and your channel are.

Find your target audience, and consistently make videos (have a schedule) that are meant to intrigue them. Ex. People who want to see mod spotlights. You'll want to keep finding the latest, hottest mods.

Interact with the community your channel is set in. You'll get nowhere if people don't even know who you are. Talk to other YouTubers, collaborate, interact in the comments with your own channel and other channels, interact on forums and websites, etc.

And last but not least... Have fun. If you don't enjoy what you do, then what's the point?

If you want me to further elaborate on certain points, feel free to send me a message on YouTube.

JackAttackGame

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The best advice I can offer you is to keep working at it. As a small channel it's going to be hard to draw some attention to your channel because you are competing against thousands of other gaming channels and probably millions of other Minecraft videos. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your Youtube channel. Keep creating videos you would want to watch yourself, ask for feedback on what to improve on and check out guides on how to improve such things as audio/video quality, SEO, thumbnails and networking with other channels.

The one thing I've seen with gaming channels is that most give up after a few months because they don't get many views or subs. You have to stick with it, having a gaming channel isn't a easy way to grow but if you stick with it over time you will see growth, good luck!

ItsMegan2

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My tops tips for you would be:
  • Be consistent so people will know when to expect new videos from you, an will keep coming back to your channel
  • Have good quality videos. You don't have to have the best equipment or anything, but try to have good editing and sound.
  • Be unique. There are millions of minecraft videos, but make yours stand out by having interesting thumbnails, and find a way to make your videos stand out from the others. :)