My videos are not looking good. WHY?!?

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I record 4k vlogs on a iPhone 6s which I've seen Casey Neistat do and it looked great, but when I do it it doesn't look as good. Im not saying it looks terrible and maybe I'm just being hard on myself, but to me it just looks unprofessional.

So I just wanted to ask you guys why do some 1080p cameras end up creating a better looking image then my 4k camera?

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I just checked out the "4K vlog" one, and it looks like your exposure settings are not properly set (so the daylight sun is overexposing the entire video).

(EDIT: and as xingcat updated, you have a bit of the opposite problem indoors, it seems...things are a big underexposed there, especially in the peanut butter store part)

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The #1 thing I've noticed is that lighting plays a HUGE factor in how well video comes out. You can have a terrific camera, but especially if you're filming inside with basic lighting that's already in-place, your videos will look flat. I've noticed your outdoor shots look better than the stuff you film inside. Also, check your settings for all lighting conditions. It really makes a big difference!

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just checked out the "4K vlog" one, and it looks like your exposure settings are not properly set (so the daylight sun is overexposing the entire video).

(EDIT: and as xingcat updated, you have a bit of the opposite problem indoors, it seems...things are a big underexposed there, especially in the peanut butter store part)
Okay thanks for that so changing my exposure before every shot should really help?[DOUBLEPOST=1459698347,1459698223][/DOUBLEPOST]
The #1 thing I've noticed is that lighting plays a HUGE factor in how well video comes out. You can have a terrific camera, but especially if you're filming inside with basic lighting that's already in-place, your videos will look flat. I've noticed your outdoor shots look better than the stuff you film inside. Also, check your settings for all lighting conditions. It really makes a big difference!
Yeah I also noticed that thanks man. I'll invest in a ring light or maybe a soft box. Any more tips on making my content better?

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The tricky part for folks like us is that if you expose well for the background, then you risk underexposing on yourself (cameras are racist, lol)

So you'll have to play around with the settings for sure.

Exposure requirements can also change as you move around, so you'll have to see what are the best options for automatically exposing as you move around.

Last edited:

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The tricky part for folks like us is that of you expose well for the background, then you risk underexposing on yourself (cameras are racist, lol)

So you'll have to play around with the settings for sure.

Exposure requirements can also change as you move around, so you'll have to see what are the best options for automatically exposing as you move around.
Lol it's starting to feel like cameras are. But yeah I might just have to get a camera with better iso. I'll for sure tweek the exposure for my next video thanks bro