My Latest Vlog - Please Review

DeathByVlog

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys! I just uploaded my latest Vlog and would like to hear your opinions. My goal is to keep creating entertaining content every week and I want to be sure I am captivating my viewers.

1. Would you change anything for future videos?
2. How is the editing and should I stick with this style?
3. Is it boring at all, or does it keep you watching till the end?
4. What do you think of my dance moves? hahaha

I love constructive criticism, so have your way with me ;)

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:

Adam.W

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I want to start by saying that you produce some of the best quality content on this forum, this is why I decided to follow you and maybe one day when I get my sh*t together and start my own channel we can collaborate on some videos.

Now I will answer you questions. Keep in mind my aim is to help you, not offend you. :)
1. Firstly, there wasn't much personality showing throughout this video. I feel like I learned more about your girlfriend (wife?) than you. Vlogging is so competitive these days that good editing is not enough, people want to know your thoughts, ideas and experiences.
Secondly, I can clearly see a Casey Neistat influence and I'm not one of those idiots in all comments sections on YouTube saying that a video looks like a Casey Neistat vlog just because it's edited well or entertaining. For example the shot where you're at a reception and you leave your camera on the counter or the shot where you left your camera to shoot you driving away, those are classic Neistat shots. You need to come up with something that your viewers will be able to call "Classic Death by Vlog" shots. I know it can be hard but it can be something as simple as you filming what time it is before going to bed but by having this shot recurring in your videos it become like your thing that helps you stand out.
Thirdly, this is me being very picky and you might know about this already but the 2 time lapses weren't the best. The second one was OK but to make them good or even great I would suggest trying to fill the frame with as much movement as possible or make sure it has more depth. I know this isn't always possible this is why I think that you shouldn't force a time-lapse, if a good opportunity comes than shoot it. I don't think it's a good idea to shoot a time-lapse just to fill in more time in the video.
2. Editing is pretty good, it's very engaging and really helps to tell the story but as mentioned above, you need to find your own style.
3. I watched the video to the end (I actually watched it like 6 times to give you a review) so it wasn't boring. Both you and your partner seem like nice people so it automatically makes people engaged in the video.
4. I'm the worlds worst dancer so as long as you don't look like you have a seizure attack I'm impressed :wacky2:

Ok. that's my review. I hope you don't hate me after reading it, I tired to be as honest as possible in order to help you improve your content. :)

Reactions: DeathByVlog

DeathByVlog

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I want to start by saying that you produce some of the best quality content on this forum, this is why I decided to follow you and maybe one day when I get my sh*t together and start my own channel we can collaborate on some videos.
Wow man! First off, thank you so much for the detailed review and kind words. That took some time and I appreciate it! :) And yes, Im down for a collab when you are!

A little back story on this video which may answer some questions. This footage was actually recorded October 2nd-3rd before I really decided to do the vlogging thing. So, it was basically my first ever doing it and wasn't too sure on some things. I actually thought I lost the footage and then found my SD card and decided that I could edit the heck out of it and make it Vlog #8. Looking at it now, maybe that wasn't such a great idea lol.

Firstly, there wasn't much personality showing throughout this video. I feel like I learned more about your girlfriend (wife?) than you. Vlogging is so competitive these days that good editing is not enough, people want to know your thoughts, ideas and experiences.
Very true. This has changed in my most recent videos and I have offered more of my personality in the clips. I am also going to do some more face to face stuff in the near future which I hope will engage the viewers more :)

Secondly, I can clearly see a Casey Neistat influence and I'm not one of those idiots in all comments sections on YouTube saying that a video looks like a Casey Neistat vlog just because it's edited well or entertaining. For example the shot where you're at a reception and you leave your camera on the counter or the shot where you left your camera to shoot you driving away, those are classic Neistat shots. You need to come up with something that your viewers will be able to call "Classic Death by Vlog" shots. I know it can be hard but it can be something as simple as you filming what time it is before going to bed but by having this shot recurring in your videos it become like your thing that helps you stand out.
I can totally agree...to an extent. When I first watched this footage I thought right away, damn, some of this stuff is totally Casey. I didn't want that at all and wanted to do my own thing. So yes, this video was done when I was "learning" and driving with inspiration from others like Casey. Since this footage, I have made sure all my videos are truly genuine. I also have a great idea for all my future videos that will be totally unique and will help create the "Classic DeathByVlog" shots. Excited to start that in the next one!!

Thirdly, this is me being very picky and you might know about this already but the 2 time lapses weren't the best. The second one was OK but to make them good or even great I would suggest trying to fill the frame with as much movement as possible or make sure it has more depth. I know this isn't always possible this is why I think that you shouldn't force a time-lapse, if a good opportunity comes than shoot it. I don't think it's a good idea to shoot a time-lapse just to fill in more time in the video.
Couldn't agree with you more! I was just talking with my gal about that lol - Time lapses will no longer be in my videos unless it's awesome footage.

Editing is pretty good, it's very engaging and really helps to tell the story but as mentioned above, you need to find your own style.
I am not really sure what else I can do in this department. Maybe as I learn more about editing, and produce more content I will be able to incorporate different things. For now, I am a complete beginner and still learning the ropes of FCP.

Ok. that's my review. I hope you don't hate me after reading it, I tired to be as honest as possible in order to help you improve your content. :)
Again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write this review. I am going to take all these points to heart when creating future content. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam.W

Adam.W

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm glad you appreciate my input.

A little back story on this video which may answer some questions. This footage was actually recorded October 2nd-3rd before I really decided to do the vlogging thing. So, it was basically my first ever doing it and wasn't too sure on some things. I actually thought I lost the footage and then found my SD card and decided that I could edit the heck out of it and make it Vlog #8. Looking at it now, maybe that wasn't such a great idea lol.
I think it was a good idea, you will be able to look at it in the future and see how much you improved. Even with all the things I pointed out the video was still good.

Very true. This has changed in my most recent videos and I have offered more of my personality in the clips. I am also going to do some more face to face stuff in the near future which I hope will engage the viewers more :)
Yes, I can definitely see that in your other videos, you asked for a review of this vlog so I didn't even think to look at the other ones when writing the review. :)

Maybe as I learn more about editing, and produce more content I will be able to incorporate different things. For now, I am a complete beginner and still learning the ropes of FCP.
Yes, that's exactly what you need to do. Practice makes perfect, with time you will start to develop your own techniques without even realising it.

Overall, you are doing a really good job. I mean, 320 subscribers in a month is very impressive. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: DeathByVlog