Merchandising? Any experiences, advice?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Anyone have experience with merchandising and can offer some pointers?

Google searches keep bringing up spreadshirt.com, they even have a dedicated FAQ for Youtubers.
Is this the best website to go with?

Is a logo the only "standard" thing that people put on merchandise, or can we put our favorite snapshots from videos?

Is it something we can start with our level of subs, or is it better to have say 100k or 250k subs?

Thanks for any advice!

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Anyone have experience with merchandising and can offer some pointers?

Google searches keep bringing up spreadshirt.com, they even have a dedicated FAQ for Youtubers.
Is this the best website to go with?

Is a logo the only "standard" thing that people put on merchandise, or can we put our favorite snapshots from videos?

Is it something we can start with our level of subs, or is it better to have say 100k or 250k subs?

Thanks for any advice!
I have sold a bunch of shirts on Teespring. This is totally separate from my YouTube channel though, I sold a bunch of German Shorthaired Pointer shirts because I belong to a bunch of forums since I have that type of dog. I sold them from Facebook and not at all from YouTube. BUT, if you have a well known brand and come up with a good design, I'm sure you can sell shirts and use YouTube to promote them. I've only made shirts for myself on Spreadshirt, so I'm not sure how profitable it would be. Here's my biggest seller on Teespring, I've sold a couple hundred of this design with no paid advertising. I've done hoodie campaigns, shirts, long sleeves, etc.
tee.jpg

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have sold a bunch of shirts on Teespring. This is totally separate from my YouTube channel though, I sold a bunch of German Shorthaired Pointer shirts because I belong to a bunch of forums since I have that type of dog. I sold them from Facebook and not at all from YouTube. BUT, if you have a well known brand and come up with a good design, I'm sure you can sell shirts and use YouTube to promote them. I've only made shirts for myself on Spreadshirt, so I'm not sure how profitable it would be. Here's my biggest seller on Teespring, I've sold a couple hundred of this design with no paid advertising. I've done hoodie campaigns, shirts, long sleeves, etc.
View attachment 38127
Thanks for that input! I could see dogs being popular, especially if you have that particular breed on the tshirt and it's witty.
Makes me think that in addition to logos, it would be best to have some unusual scenes and perhaps a comical saying. One more thing to add to the skillset - tshirt slogan writer.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thanks for that input! I could see dogs being popular, especially if you have that particular breed on the tshirt and it's witty.
Makes me think that in addition to logos, it would be best to have some unusual scenes and perhaps a comical saying. One more thing to add to the skillset - tshirt slogan writer.
Think outside the box. Most of my videos are of our dogs and the only shirts I have sold are dog shirts. BUT they are totally unrelated. You will need to learn a little bit of graphic design if you don't already know it, I taught myself and make most of my designs on Corel Draw.[DOUBLEPOST=1475977248,1475977037][/DOUBLEPOST]
Think outside the box. Most of my videos are of our dogs and the only shirts I have sold are dog shirts. BUT they are totally unrelated. You will need to learn a little bit of graphic design if you don't already know it, I taught myself and make most of my designs on Corel Draw.
Here's another Pointer shirt I thought would do good, I think I only sold about 7 of these. I have one that's blue and I like it lol! "German Shorthaired Pointer Finger", kind of an abstract shirt and I also played with shadow effects.
finger.jpg

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

AquariumCoop

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'd say you can totally start now. I'm averaging just under $1 per sub, per month at the moment. I only have nearly half as much as you. But I also have a staff dedicated to shipping merchandise etc.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First thing popping up is "Don't flush it, CRUSH IT!" Haha

cedriccha

Reaction score
I have some experience designing and producing merch – not for YouTubers, but I believe the elements below apply:

1. QUALITY - The physical product needs to be of quality. It's useless to sell someone something they can only wear/use once (though I'm sure we all have our experience with this).

2. FIT - Specifically for t-shirts. If the wearer looks/feels good, the chances of him/her wearing it more are higher. (Wearing it more = more "publicity" for your brand)

3. DESIGN - This is usually the "x-factor" which makes people want to buy your merch in the first place. People are usually attracted to a beautiful design before checking if the quality and fit is good.

4. VALUE - It's not necessarily about giving your customers the lowest prices, but what gives them the most value. Low prices are just 1 form of value. Another example of value is "if you buy my merch, you stand a chance to be featured in my next video".
Hope this helps!

entrepreneur

Reaction score
Great information i was exatly looking for information about this since my viewer base has increased and was thinking of selling tees to monetize more

cedriccha

Reaction score
Great information i was exatly looking for information about this since my viewer base has increased and was thinking of selling tees to monetize more
How/where are you looking to get your t-shirts done?

entrepreneur

Reaction score
I am going to use Teespring i think, but i am going to look around and research it a little before i take any decision