Massive drop in views on kid channels

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
At this point, nobody knows anything for certain, as things are changing on a daily basis. But this much I do know, YT will find a way to make money off of kids' content, so what is happening now, is not the way it will always be.

Let's face it, kid's are the overwhelming majority of traffic on YT. YT knew this and targeted them and this is why we are here today. If YT was a road system, kid's channels were the Interstate Highway of YT and the Ads were Billboards on those Highways. YT has effectively shut down their Interstate Highways with all the things they have done to kids channels in the last week. This means that YT is losing millions a day in ad revenue because nobody is driving down those interstate highways seeing those billboard ads. Does this make sense being put in this form?

Okay, YT is not going to let this go on for long. It takes time to adapt to such a huge change and programing takes a lot of work. But I am telling you that YT has a vested interest to figure how how to get their kid's channels interstate highways and billboards back up and running. Now, just because they can't place Targeted ads on kid's content, does not mean they cannot place any ads at all. YT can still place Contextual ads. YT had no reason to negotiate for Contextual ads before this because the money for Targeted ads was so much better, but now they those are no longer an option, YT will renegotiate ad contracts for the kid's ad space.

So I believe that the Ad revenue will come back for Kids channels eventually. A lot of what YT is doing right now, as far as the features they are turning off, is simply them trying to make it look like they are very proactive in stopping targeted ads to children, because they are under the microscope of the FTC. These features will come back.

I think that they are going about it the wrong way and they are working way harder than they need to. All YT needs to do to solve this whole problem is to move all kid's content off of YT main and onto YT Kids and renegotiate the ad space for Contextual Ads or make it a subscription-based platform. Boom problem solved.
The problem is people hate paying for what was once free. YT will lose a lot of potential future creators if now they have to pay to sign up.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The problem is people hate paying for what was once free. YT will lose a lot of potential future creators if now they have to pay to sign up.
You obviously have never had a screaming kid at the checkout stand at WalMart. LOL! If kids want something, they can extremely persuasive (dare I say, "Torture Experts"). People PAY insane amounts for cable TV (yuck!). If they want to watch something, THEY WILL PAY.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You obviously have never had a screaming kid at the checkout stand at WalMart. LOL! If kids want something, they can extremely persuasive (dare I say, "Torture Experts"). People PAY insane amounts for cable TV (yuck!). If they want to watch something, THEY WILL PAY.
I'm referring that even the parents wouldn't be able to watch YouTube without signing up either. There are way more viewers of YouTube that don't have a YouTube/Google account than the ones that do. People are usually lazy. You think viral videos like Gandam Style and whatnot would gave caught on if people had to waste time signing up first (and paying) instead of just pushing play? No one is gonna go for a YouTube that costs money. Sure they have YouTube Red and YouTube TV and whatever else but those are optional but it'll change if paying a monthly fee becomes mandatory for everyone.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm referring that even the parents wouldn't be able to watch YouTube without signing up either. There are way more viewers of YouTube that don't have a YouTube/Google account than the ones that do. People are usually lazy. You think viral videos like Gandam Style and whatnot would gave caught on if people had to waste time signing up first (and paying) instead of just pushing play? No one is gonna go for a YouTube that costs money. Sure they have YouTube Red and YouTube TV and whatever else but those are optional but it'll change if paying a monthly fee becomes mandatory for everyone.
That is the point, if all kid's content was on YT kids, they would not have to require login. YT kids would only show Contextual ads. Targeted ads would only be on YT main, but there would be no kids content on YT main for kids to watch, and if they were watching more mature content, it would not matter.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
That is the point, if all kid's content was on YT kids, they would not have to require login. YT kids would only show Contextual ads. Targeted ads would only be on YT main, but there would be no kids content on YT main for kids to watch, and if they were watching more mature content, it would not matter.
The problem is YouTube Kids already exists and the kids still like regular YouTube better. Unless all of normal YouTube is boring war documentaries, kids will still find a way to watch YouTube over YouTube Kids. Then you get all the gray, kids are NOT supposed to like, let alone play Fortnite, but they do. Are all Fortnite people forced to 'clean up their act' and only post their vids on YouTube Kids 'OR ELSE'?

The problem is YouTube already made their move when creating YouTube Kids but they can't force kids to go there. It would be like me forcing you to not use Google and use Bing instead.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The problem is YouTube Kids already exists and the kids still like regular YouTube better. Unless all of normal YouTube is boring war documentaries, kids will still find a way to watch YouTube over YouTube Kids. Then you get all the gray, kids are NOT supposed to like, let alone play Fortnite, but they do. Are all Fortnite people forced to 'clean up their act' and only post their vids on YouTube Kids 'OR ELSE'?

The problem is YouTube already made their move when creating YouTube Kids but they can't force kids to go there. It would be like me forcing you to not use Google and use Bing instead.
None of this matters. You are over thinking it. There is no way for YT to know the age of people watching content. The only way they discover this is through pattern of behavior. If there is no content for children on YT main, then there is only one pattern of behavior possible and that is a pattern if watching mature content, so there is no way to show that it is children that it doing it.

Are children going to watch mature content? My 13 year old neighbor's son fathered a baby with an 11 year old girl. Now, where do you think he and she learned how to do the horizontal hokey pokey?

The issue is NOT kids watching mature content. The issue is NOT kids seeing targeted ads. The issue is YT KNOWINGLY serving targeted ads to children. If there is no kids content on YT main, then there is no way for YT to know the person that is watching is under 13 so they can not KNOWINGLY serve them targeted ads.

Last edited:

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Youtube is setting up a system where real "kids" content is going to be buried. They have been doing this since July. Kids are still watching Youtube, but they are watching channels that are not actually designed for them. This allows Youtube to continue to play dumb and say, "oh this is a mature channel, kids can't possibly be watching this keep rolling the personalized ads." Youtube could have set up an age gate, required parental consent, or provided an incentive for viewers to actually watch on the kids platform. They chose none of those options and instead decided to put mature/crap content in front of kids. We must continue to push and expose the leadership at Youtube for their absolute incompetence. This type of reckless behavior is beyond a civil fine, we need criminal indictments.
This man knows his stuff. Two fingers to point here for Kid Creators. One at the FTC, one at YT, and sorry maybe there's a third... one straight back at ourselves for being obnoxious with some of our content and treatment of our kids.

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
And the reason why YT Kids will never succeed is because it isn't preinstalled on millions of mobile devices as YT is - because we can't assume that everyone has kids. It is a major source of YT's popularity. Also, gating (pay gate, age gate, or otherwise) would immensely impact YT's numbers. They aren't going to do it. There's a huge natural flow to why YouTube is so successful on mobile devices. It is easily accessible.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
And the reason why YT Kids will never succeed is because it isn't preinstalled on millions of mobile devices as YT is - because we can't assume that everyone has kids. It is a major source of YT's popularity. Also, gating (pay gate, age gate, or otherwise) would immensely impact YT's numbers. They aren't going to do it. There's a huge natural flow to why YouTube is so successful on mobile devices. It is easily accessible.
Sorry, but this makes no sense.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this guy's statement

he said kids videos will not be recommended? You have to go to channel page or direct search only. is it true?