Lego gameplays and Copyright claims

Invisible

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello people,

Did anyone got in to troubles with copyright claims when published gamelpays with Lego games (etc. Lego Batman or other games that are available on Steam)?
Just curious if its safe to publish Lego gameplays - i can not find anything mentioned officially by Lego regarding publishing Lego gameplays on Youtube.

Thanks!

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I say go ahead. I've seen multiple content creators do playthroughs of Lego games, including Jacksepticeye (back in 2015), and according to TubeBuddy the ones I've checked out are owned by the content creators or their own networks. So, this is proof that Lego is allowing videos on YouTube that use their trademark. If you're paranoid, though, feel free to upload the video and wait a while before monetizing to see if Lego takes action. If not, you're in the clear. No teacher is better than experience. But based on the past, as they haven't struck down these big videos like Nintendo has, the most trouble you'd be facing is a copyright claim, which really means nothing. Your channel wouldn't suffer penalties, and they would just get the revenue.

Reactions: Invisible

Invisible

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I say go ahead. I've seen multiple content creators do playthroughs of Lego games, including Jacksepticeye (back in 2015), and according to TubeBuddy the ones I've checked out are owned by the content creators or their own networks. So, this is proof that Lego is allowing videos on YouTube that use their trademark. If you're paranoid, though, feel free to upload the video and wait a while before monetizing to see if Lego takes action. If not, you're in the clear. No teacher is better than experience. But based on the past, as they haven't struck down these big videos like Nintendo has, the most trouble you'd be facing is a copyright claim, which really means nothing. Your channel wouldn't suffer penalties, and they would just get the revenue.
Hi Dewmonic Abyss, thanks for prompt response and for the tip to upload and see. Yes im surely more concerned about penalties. To sacrifice revenue from few vids would not be an issue at all as long as it does not hurt channel status. (But still would be nicer to be allowed to earn revenue too :) )

Lego and Warner Bros are very famous and thats a bit worries me (because they do not state anything officially if they allow or not allow to post videos of Lego games), but yes, as you say, youtubers keep posting Lego videos and doesnt look like there are complains from youtubers on internet (i googled a bit to se if people were complaining). At least i havent found complains yet.

Last edited:

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
No problem. Just sharing what I've heard and experienced. And that should be a good enough sign, then! And if you want to take precautions up to an extra level, you could even create another channel and test upload a lego video (but I don't think that's necessary, and an excessive amount of work, tbh.)
Another example for game developers copyright claiming is Life is Strange. There were a lot of playthroughs for that game, though it included some copyright music (I believe the music was copyright by people who worked for the game, though), and a lot of people were okay with that, because their revenue would actually support the company and wasn't hurting anything.)
I've also gotten copyright claimed for Insult Simulator, back in my early cringe days, because the game used copyright music. The claim is still there, but the claim hasn't impacted my channel in any way, and I'm still able to do all the features I could normally do, so I can speak from experience. :p

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
I always share this link with fellow youtube gamers :)

http://wholetsplay.com/

If you play Lego games like Jurassic Park or Star Wars, I would say be careful with the music cause that might get you a claim or a strike :) It's always music most of the time.

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss