Is the "$1 per 1000 views" a myth?

jschlatt

Hey guys! Before I continue I want to make it clear that I'm not into Youtube to make money, I'm doing it as a hobby. I'm just wondering about this myth I've heard a bunch of times.

If the whole $1 per 1000 views CPM is true (which I am not too certain of because I'm not very experienced in monetization), I should have earned way more than what Google estimates.

I have two videos, both with over 10,000 views, that Google only estimates earned ~$1.
What's the deal with that? Shouldn't they hypothetically have earned ~$10 each? What could cause the low revenue?

Also: do you need to be partnered with an MCN to be able to display non-skippable ads?

Thanks for the help :)

as for the first question that 1000 views equals 1 dollar im pretty sure that is a myth and not true im not sure how it all works but i do know that is not true

Hey guys! Before I continue I want to make it clear that I'm not into Youtube to make money, I'm doing it as a hobby. I'm just wondering about this myth I've heard a bunch of times.

If the whole $1 per 1000 views CPM is true (which I am not too certain of because I'm not very experienced in monetization), I should have earned way more than what Google estimates.

I have two videos, both with over 10,000 views, that Google only estimates earned ~$1.
What's the deal with that? Shouldn't they hypothetically have earned ~$10 each? What could cause the low revenue?

Also: do you need to be partnered with an MCN to be able to display non-skippable ads?

Thanks for the help :)
It all depends on your cpm, you can even get $5 per 1000 views, it depends on a lot of things, a lot of things come into play when it comes on to youtube money.

It all depends on your cpm, you can even get $5 per 1000 views, it depends on a lot of things, a lot of things come into play when it comes on to youtube money.
Thanks for the response. Does Google change their CPM at all? Or is it always a fixed rate? What are some good strategies to increase this? (I'm currently not partnered with an MCN).

Generally it is $1 - $2 per thousand views, however it does vary drastically and can be significantly lower or higher than that figure.

Do also take into account that analytics takes a while to update and frequently has delays.

You do need to be with an MCN to enable non skippable ads unless you request it from your partner manager as a regular partner (you'll need to be a decently sized channel for this)

It use to not be a myth but youtube upgraded. It depends on your video length and view retention. If you have a 0:50 second video you're not going to get anywhere near $1 a view. If you have a 0:50 second video and you get 100% retention compared to a 10 minute video with 20% retention you're going to make a lot more money per view from the 10 minute video than the 0:50 second video because youtube only cares about the amount of watch time you get.

This is why channels like gamers can prosper and are taking over youtube while animation channels fall off and die. Back in the day when you actually got $1-5 a view, it was all fair game. But now that money depends on total watch time, animation channels can't put out as long or as many videos. Whereas, gaming channels can pump out several 15-30 minute videos a day.

It use to not be a myth but youtube upgraded. It depends on your video length and view retention. If you have a 0:50 second video you're not going to get anywhere near $1 a view. If you have a 0:50 second video and you get 100% retention compared to a 10 minute video with 20% retention you're going to make a lot more money per view from the 10 minute video than the 0:50 second video because youtube only cares about the amount of watch time you get.

This is why channels like gamers can prosper and are taking over youtube while animation channels fall off and die. Back in the day when you actually got $1-5 a view, it was all fair game. But now that money depends on total watch time, animation channels can't put out as long or as many videos. Whereas, gaming channels can pump out several 15-30 minute videos a day.

Making longer videos will not automatically increase your watch time.
It depends on your network monetization actually :)

You are wrong.

Making longer videos will not automatically increase your watch time.

You are wrong.
Well, I think it does. Try switching to different networks and upload the same way you did, every network's ad merchants affect the overall CPM you get.

Well, I think it does. Try switching to different networks and upload the same way you did, every network's ad merchants affect the overall CPM you get.
CPMs do not change by network unless they are selling ads directly for your channel, which is a rare occurence. Guy I work with runs a channel that gets over 60M++ monthly views and he was not included in ad sales on his (very advertiser friendly) channel.

Back