Is Promoting On Facebook A Scam?

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I recently tried promoting a Premiere of Season 5 of my Fallout 4 series on Facebook. I had 50 dollar budget for 5 days. It said it would take it to instagram too.

Awesome! I was psyched.

I paused the ad after I was charged about 15 dollars. Why would I do that?

Well... The details of the ad said I received 35 link clicks. That link went directly to the video on youtube. So when they clicked it... it loaded up my video and it started playing.

*scratches head*

OK. If that is so, how come I only have 24 views on the video. I am sure of 5-6 views (between my nephew, a couple loyal followers).

It reached 6200 people, all people who shown interest in Fallout 4. Not one like, not one share, not one page like.

Did I just get scammed by Facebook?!? I have my social media department looking it over to see what they think too... Something i snot adding up.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I believe the link clicks means they clicked onto the ad for the post. What they do from there is up to them. Also, sometimes Youtube is slow about posting actual numbers. Make sure to use TubeBuddy.

Reactions: JayZippo

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Both Youtube and ad services are pretty finicky with their numbers, so what you're seeing on both ends are probably not completely accute

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
the ad said I received 35 link clicks. ....how come I only have 24 views on the video
It simply means that those who clicked on your ad did not watch the video for long enough for YouTube to count it as a view

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It reached 6200 people, all people who shown interest in Fallout 4.
`
to be precise, 6200 people got interest in the thumbnail :p :D

ad promotion seems to be a tricky thing, if your ad got 6200 clicks was successful.
If it was not targeted to game related audience though it was not a scam, rather unsuccessful :(

I have my social media department looking it over
Depemding the team, perhaps a "social media department" have nothing to do with running an ad campaign.
:)

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It simply means that those who clicked on your ad did not watch the video for long enough for YouTube to count it as a view
The second the video starts it counts as a view. I don't think that happened 13 times.

Bottom line, Facebook is garbage. Yes it's sour grapes... 6k saw the ad and nothing? The post got no likes, the page got no likes, no shares, no comments. Really?? This is not Tumblr. I'm glad I stopped the ad and only spent 15 bucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1541725465,1541725062][/DOUBLEPOST]
Depemding the team, perhaps a "social media department" have nothing to do with running an ad campaign.
:)
The department that is at my work will let me know if I screwed up, did something wrong, etc. Maybe guide me if I try it again. That's what I meant. At this point I won't try it again. Won't waste my money.

Reactions: videoeditgr

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
The second the video starts it counts as a view.
Where are you getting that information from?
YouTube have never said how much of a video has to be watched to be counted as a view.

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Where are you getting that information from?
YouTube have never said how much of a video has to be watched to be counted as a view.
Our social media R&D. Also try loading a video for a second click off it, see if it registers. It always has for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1541765195,1541743732][/DOUBLEPOST]
I believe the link clicks means they clicked onto the ad for the post. What they do from there is up to them. Also, sometimes Youtube is slow about posting actual numbers. Make sure to use TubeBuddy.
That is a very good point. Last night, I figured that should of caught up, I was at 28. Maybe it still was lagging in views.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
FYI, I've had a lot of success advertising on FB. I think part of the reason is that I targeted other countries. My channel is for a game, and over 95% of the engagement has been overseas. You would think America would have the most because it is by far and large the biggest gaming community, but it has not been the case. I imagine that it's because there are thousands of people trying to do the same thing, and most people don't pay attention to ads.

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Last thing I will say about this. YES - Sour grapes. Big time. I am being a bit of a baby about it as well. I should of let the ad run its course, but I felt I could spend that money better else where at that point.

Just some random thoughts and notes.

- I wasn't expecting the world. But I was expecting likes to the post, click throughs that were recording correctly, a few new subs and a few new likes to the page. I received ZERO of that. 6200 times the ad showed up to fans of Fallout, Men between the ages of 18-55, and nothing? Am I wrong to be disappointed and upset over that? Tumblr isn't even that bad.

- I wanted to start a new series on Fallout 76 and after playing the BETA... I am not moving forward with that. I enjoyed the BETA, but I can't see making a series out of it. So with that in mind I wanted to push my Fallout 4 Nuka World season 5. Just to give it a little traction. I guess I was even banking on it. Maybe thats why I am a bit bitter.

- Facebook disapproved of my ad 22 times before I had one approved. LOL. My placeholder had my protagonist on there in a skin tight power armor. They deemed it showed too much skin and was too sexual. It was neither and extremely insulting considering all the fake news, russian influence, hate crime, etc they have let through the past year. Yes let's stop a completely covered, skin tight pixelated character from being an ad on facebook. Man, they suck. It's why I spend my "social media" time on Reddit now. Much better IMO. Let me tell you how long it takes for Youtube AND facebook to combine to register a new placeholder. over 8 hours. Between the sharing debug facebook has I scrapped and scraped but it would not update. I could write 5 paragraphs on how frustrating that was, between the absurdity of the disapproval to the lack of a functioning system (it is pretty broke there sharing functionality with posting). Our newest problem at work is that our clients when they share posts facebook doesn't know what to do with the featured image. Our research says they changed something that effected this... but whatever. A billion dollar company that doesn't even know how to share posts correctly. What else are we to expect.

Can I ask if anyone else has tried facebook and been successful? I am meeting with my social media manager at work for a bit early next week to go over this and hopefully learn a few new things... but I am very curious... has this worked for anyone else?[DOUBLEPOST=1541767277,1541767209][/DOUBLEPOST]
FYI, I've had a lot of success advertising on FB. I think part of the reason is that I targeted other countries. My channel is for a game, and over 95% of the engagement has been overseas. You would think America would have the most because it is by far and large the biggest gaming community, but it has not been the case. I imagine that it's because there are thousands of people trying to do the same thing, and most people don't pay attention to ads.
hmmmmmm....

That is a direction I did not even think about. Thank you. This will make me do a bit more research next time.

Last edited: