I'm looking for specific features in a cheap or free video editing program for Windows

Jessie-Kate

For about 5 years I was editing videos on iMovie on an Apple computer. I wanted more fun features and less glitchiness (any heavily edited video was hell to export in that program) but I didn't have much money. I tried every free video editing program and a few free trials of some of the ones you have to pay for, but I couldn't find a program that I liked at all on Apple. Because of this I made my mind up to switch to Windows when I could get some money together for a good new laptop. Now I have that good new laptop, and I'm having trouble finding any video editing software I like, still!

I've used Filmora for 2 videos now and I do like it. It's easy to work with and has a lot of the kinds of features I was dying to play with when I was working with iMovie. HOWEVER it has some important things missing, I feel. The most important is color correcting. They have a ton of filters, but they're all too strong for my taste. I want my videos to look more natural. They have 4 sliders for editing the color manually: brightness, contrast, saturation and hue, and that would be enough (even though iMovie had more and I really liked it...) EXCEPT they don't work well! Every time I adjust any of these sliders the video looks awful. If I adjusted the same sliders (brightness, contrast, saturation) in iMovie it would make the video look 10x better, but in Filmora it only makes it look WORSE!! What is happening here? So long as I'm using Filmora I feel like if my videos aren't filmed with 100% perfect lighting I'm completely out of luck. Very frustrating. The second thing I'm missing is speed adjustment. In iMovie if a video got really long, like 20-40 minutes, I would put the whole thing at 102-103% speed and I felt like it honestly helped with the pacing a little bit not just by taking like one minute off of the video, but also by making me sound a tiny, tiny bit peppier. In Filmora I can speed it to 200%... and that's obviously not going to have the same effect!

I can probably live without the speed controls, but the color correcting is important sometimes. Does anyone have a suggestion for a free or very cheap program that I can use for color correcting, or really any suggestions at all are fine because I'm no expert. (I looked for free color correcting programs online, but they all required something I didn't have like paid Adobe video editing software already installed or very fancy equipment.)

The following video editing tools are free and may have the features you're looking for:

Shotcut
DaVinci Resolve
Blender
Lightworks

god forbid a crack xD I bought sony vegas because I like the latest features of 13 but I don't see why people do that xD

I heard a lot of good things about Lightworks. Honestly Adobe Premiere has the solution to all your needs but it's a big investment, or maybe something you can think about for the long term.

god forbid a crack xD I bought sony vegas because I like the latest features of 13 but I don't see why people do that xD
A crack? What do you mean?
I heard a lot of good things about Lightworks. Honestly Adobe Premiere has the solution to all your needs but it's a big investment, or maybe something you can think about for the long term.
I'll have to check out Lightworks, then. I would like to have Premiere, but money. ;_; I'm really broke right now.

The following video editing tools are free and may have the features you're looking for:

Shotcut
DaVinci Resolve
Blender
Lightworks

I second Lightworks! I've been using Lightworks since I started in August and it's absolutely amazing! It has every feature you could want from an editor, including the majority of features you get in paid-for software. Definitely worth the effort of learning how to use it!

A crack? What do you mean?

I'll have to check out Lightworks, then. I would like to have Premiere, but money. ;_; I'm really broke right now.

A crack is an illegal means of activating software. Quite concerning how many times it's advocated on these boards, I don't know why admin allows it.

You'll find that the software I listed above all has a similar level of power to Premiere, so they will make an ideal alternative if money is an issue.

I second Lightworks! I've been using Lightworks since I started in August and it's absolutely amazing! It has every feature you could want from an editor, including the majority of features you get in paid-for software. Definitely worth the effort of learning how to use it!
Thank you for the suggestion! The thing that's holding me back from Lightworks is that the free version doesn't support HD exporting. If the color is bad enough in some of my clips it might be worth it, but I don't see much point in having HD cameras if I can't export my videos in HD. Any thoughts?
A crack is an illegal means of activating software. Quite concerning how many times it's advocated on these boards, I don't know why admin allows it.
You'll find that the software I listed above all has a similar level of power to Premiere, so they will make an ideal alternative if money is an issue.
I see, I see. As long as there is free software I don't see any point to it.

I see, I see. As long as there is free software I don't see any point to it.

I know, but some people just see commercial software as superior in some way so they'll go to any lengths to use it over the free, and equally powerful, options available.

I know, but some people just see commercial software as superior in some way so they'll go to any lengths to use it over the free, and equally powerful, options available.
it's so true I don't understand it. Why pay for names. It's like for streaming. Xsplit is about £20 whilst obs is completely free yet people still chose over it. I use sony vegas because I like the actual program. I was raised on it and my dad uses it so we share a professional account

Back