I need some help with my video quality!

DuncanT

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So after days of trying to find the best settings on my DSLR, I just can't find them and I get pretty frustrated.

So I've got a Canon 700D with the standard 18-55 lens (I've got a different lens but that doesnt really change the video quality... right?)

I've been changing the settings, the ISO, the exposure and stuff but for some reason I just keep seeing some moving parts in my video even though it should not. I don't know if I explained this clear enough so you can see my first video on my channel.

It still bothers me and I want to find the correct settings so I thought that maybe some of you might have some tips for me so I can create a better video quality!

joannavlogs

Love always wins
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Are you talking about moving lines down the screen?

I found a slower shutter speed in movie mode can get rid of this. It's to do with the light in the sensor.

DuncanT

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Are you talking about moving lines down the screen?

I found a slower shutter speed in movie mode can get rid of this. It's to do with the light in the sensor.
Hey Joannavlogs, thank you for replying! No unfortunately that's not what I'm talking about, maybe I should've explained it better haha!

The image is what I'm talking about. I pulled it from my last video, but I noticed that the quality from the video isn't sharp at all. Do you know why this is the case?

Attachments

joannavlogs

Love always wins
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey Joannavlogs, thank you for replying! No unfortunately that's not what I'm talking about, maybe I should've explained it better haha!

The image is what I'm talking about. I pulled it from my last video, but I noticed that the quality from the video isn't sharp at all. Do you know why this is the case?
Ah sorry! Haha

I can only guess that your ISO was quite high for the video. You want to keep your ISO as low as possible. You want to use as much natural light. I don't think canon DSLRs are good over say 800 ISO but that's if I remember correctly

Reactions: DuncanT

DuncanT

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ah sorry! Haha

I can only guess that your ISO was quite high for the video. You want to keep your ISO as low as possible. You want to use as much natural light. I don't think canon DSLRs are good over say 800 ISO but that's if I remember correctly
Thank you for your answer! I'll be sure and try some stuff out first thing in the morning! And by natural light you mean sunlight or could that also be ring lights and softboxes?

Hazlenuts

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A different lens can make the video look more sharp, if you other lens has a lower F-stop number it lets in more light and then the ISO doesn't have to be as high. The kit lens you are using I'm pretty sure is like F3.5-5.6 so if your other lense is say the 50mm F1.8 (usually the 2nd lens people get starting out because it is cheap) you can get a more sharp looking image

Reactions: DuncanT

DuncanT

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A different lens can make the video look more sharp, if you other lens has a lower F-stop number it lets in more light and then the ISO doesn't have to be as high. The kit lens you are using I'm pretty sure is like F3.5-5.6 so if your other lense is say the 50mm F1.8 (usually the 2nd lens people get starting out because it is cheap) you can get a more sharp looking image
Thank you for your answer! I think you named my other lens! I'm not quite sure though and I'll check first thing in the morning!

Again, thank you for your answer and I'll come back tomorrow to tell you if using the other lens solved it![DOUBLEPOST=1470755354,1470700871][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just recorded another video (and this one is absolutely disgusting and awful. I almost puked... gosh I've got a hate love relationship with some challenges hahaha) but the video quality is SO MUCH BETTER! Thanks dude!