I don't understand why my audience retention is low

Claudia Lewis

Hi, so I've been on YouTube for two months now and people are telling me they like my videos and editing. But my audience retention is pretty low 20-30% and I cannot understand why. Do you have the same issue? What is a normal audience retention for a small channel?

Last edited:
20-30% is good if other videos of similar length in your niche have a retention of less than that and vice versa. You should check the "relative audience" retention retention stat.

Lots of good info here:

20%-30% isn't bad a lot of it depends on the type of content. Also people's attention spans are very low so don't expect those numbers to be super high. Maybe try to reel people in within the first 30 seconds by showing your most exciting part of the vid or something else that catches their attention.

For a small YouTube channels with less than 65k subscribers you need to be able to cut straight to the point. Your keywords should match what exactly you are showing in the video. Video should be no more than 10 min and no less than 3 min mark. I am also having trouble for views and audience retention due to my low sub count. The key is to upload consistently, timely and show only the interesting parts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back