I don't understand why my audience retention is low

Claudia Lewis

Reaction score
Hi, so I've been on YouTube for two months now and people are telling me they like my videos and editing. But my audience retention is pretty low 20-30% and I cannot understand why. Do you have the same issue? What is a normal audience retention for a small channel?

Last edited:

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi, welcome to the forum. There are many factors that can be at play. For starters, lets get some simple things out of the way.
Make it easy for everyone here to find your channel by putting a link under icon/name like under mine TO THE LEFT OF THIS MSG - read my signature on HOW TO below this msg
Also take a look at FORUM RULES https://yttalk.com/threads/yttalk-rules-quick-and-easy-to-read.127266/

Claudia Lewis

Reaction score
I have my channel in "About" and I don't really understand what you mean

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
20-30% is good if other videos of similar length in your niche have a retention of less than that and vice versa. You should check the "relative audience" retention retention stat.

Lots of good info here:

Scopespy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
20%-30% isn't bad a lot of it depends on the type of content. Also people's attention spans are very low so don't expect those numbers to be super high. Maybe try to reel people in within the first 30 seconds by showing your most exciting part of the vid or something else that catches their attention.

Ali The Konqueror

Reaction score
For a small YouTube channels with less than 65k subscribers you need to be able to cut straight to the point. Your keywords should match what exactly you are showing in the video. Video should be no more than 10 min and no less than 3 min mark. I am also having trouble for views and audience retention due to my low sub count. The key is to upload consistently, timely and show only the interesting parts!

Last edited by a moderator: