How to use Twitter (and Facebook) effectively?

BehrmanTheBeerman

BehrmanTheBeerman
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm new to social media so I'm really struggling with this. I understand the basics of using @ and # (or at least I think I do). But I'm not sure how to use Twitter to reach new people. My friend said to just use the right hashtags and people will find my posts when they do a search. But that doesn't seem very likely or effective. So...how do I Twitter??

Also... As a let's player, I have a new video up in my main series every day. Should I tweet every single new video or just some significant ones? I figure posting one every day would just annoy people. What else should I post (or not post)?

This all pretty much goes for Facebook as well. Or even G+ and Instagram for that matter. Any advise on those would be greatly appreciated as well.

My Twitter (and Facebook) page is in my signature if you'd like to check it and see if it makes any kind of sense.

Thanks!!

PocketPaul

PocketGamer & Professional Rambler
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not promoting by any way. But i have covered an app that has helped me out massively called crowdfire. Helped me massively on twitter and Instagram to get a wider audience. Its always a fine line between spamming and just advertising but i find twitter the most usefull[DOUBLEPOST=1449566757,1449566057][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not promoting by any way. But i have covered an app that has helped me out massively called crowdfire. Helped me massively on twitter and Instagram to get a wider audience. Its always a fine line between spamming and just advertising but i find twitter the most usefull
I post when i have a new video up. But i also try to post things that people will want to talk about/play together too. Like i let people know when im going online on a mincraft server or when im going on xbox. I get a good response which musty mean someone is reading my tweets.

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The way you have to consider your social profiles is that people who follow you have an interest in what you're doing (mostly), so broadcasting your work to your followers via your feeds is entirely acceptable.

However, sometimes people overlook the social part of social media, so make time to post things other than your own content to try and engage followers. Being an engaging member of any social media network will grow your followers. More followers = more potential click-throughs to your content.

Also, avoid setting up things like auto-DM (direct message) to followers as this crosses the line between promotion and spam. Many users find auto-DMs a turnoff, I know I instantly unfollow anyone who does it and I'd certainly never click on a link in a DM.

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some people will class promoting as spamming...

I say F it, promote as much as you can (I'm new to twitter promoting) but it seems usefull enough! if you don't promote then how ill people know you make entertaining videos? Yeah it might p**s some people off but others will like your videos and sub..so I'm all for promoting, even if they comment on my videos I'm fine with it :)

PocketPaul

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally disagree that auto DM is bad. I have found it really good promotion. I even got a mobile game developer contact me after receiving my dm to promote his game and got a tshirt out off it. I have had 3 bad responses from auto dm out off 1000s which was only told to f*** off. But each to there own i do believe i have gained more views and subscribers than if i didn't use it.[DOUBLEPOST=1449568698,1449568626][/DOUBLEPOST]
I personally disagree that auto DM is bad. I have found it really good promotion. I even got a mobile game developer contact me after receiving my dm to promote his game and got a tshirt out off it. I have had 3 bad responses from auto dm out off 1000s which was only told to f*** off. But each to there own i do believe i have gained more views and subscribers than if i didn't use it.
I will add thought that my Auto DM does not beg for views or subscribers. I thank people for following me. Give them a quick brief introduction of me and share my link to my channel if they wish to see it.

Reactions: RichGuitarGamer

BehrmanTheBeerman

BehrmanTheBeerman
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Auto-DM or not, I still don't understand how to promote with Twitter. How do I use Twitter to reach new people?

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Auto-DM or not, I still don't understand how to promote with Twitter. How do I use Twitter to reach new people?
Theres a campaign manager which acts as "twitter ads" which ive only started using - however you have to set daily budgets and an overall budget, it can get pricey !

PocketPaul

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use crowd fire. Great app thats free that can help reach out to others. The results i have had from it is 2k+ followers just under 2k views and 179 subs. As i started exactly a month ago and this is the app i have used. id call that good Results but i have nothing to compare it too. I have a video that covers how to use it etc if you need any further info.

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To reach new people you need to build up a following. To build up a following, you can follow others with similar interests, take part in discussions with the same and tweet or discuss around relevant hashtags.

BehrmanTheBeerman

BehrmanTheBeerman
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To reach new people you need to build up a following. To build up a following, you can follow others with similar interests, take part in discussions with the same and tweet or discuss around relevant hashtags.
I think this is kinda the answer I was looking for. Basically, be active and use good hashtags. I guess it's all about people happening upon your tweets. I'm sure it sounds obvious to everyone. But again, I'm new to all this! :p