How to see what made a video successful?

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi all! I have 11 videos right now with one Chuckie Cheese vlog doing very well at 700k views. My other videos are average 3k to 700 views.

How can I see what made this one video do so well (tags, keywords, etc.) I know analytics but not sure how to work it yet.

What are your strategies to knowing what works on your popular videos?

AlexGotBeats

Blessed & Cursed
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Traffic sources from analytics section for that specific video should probably tell you enough. Then you can go in detail if the most views come from youtube search you cna click on it to see what ppl searched to find your video and so on

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I definitely agree with Alex. A few things you would want to look for from Traffic Sources:

1) If you're getting a huge boost from search, then click through to see which keywords are leading to that
2) If you're getting a huge boost from Browse Features, then drill down to see if it's from Home. Home can generate a LOT of traffic, but you can't really predict very well when YouTube will put a video of yours on the home page for any particular person.
3) If you're getting a huge boost from suggested videos, see what video yielded that traffic.
4) If you're getting a huge boost from external,, click through to see what domain/site led to that.

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You also might want to install TubeBuddy and check which tags are working for you.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
'How to see what made a video successful?'
I wish I knew the answer too as I have a few 'viral' videos (6 with over 1m views each) that are no different to the other couple hundred I have that are barley pulling in just a few thousand views..

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hi all! I have 11 videos right now with one Chuckie Cheese vlog doing very well at 700k views. My other videos are average 3k to 700 views.

How can I see what made this one video do so well (tags, keywords, etc.) I know analytics but not sure how to work it yet.

What are your strategies to knowing what works on your popular videos?
I think it was a little bit of luck. YT matched your video with similar channels making similar video at just the right time. And I guess more channels than i thought were making chuck e cheese videos. Your video shows up in the suggested of lorraine toys video. Youre prolly getting some traffic from them. Theyre also at the top of your related channels list.

Your problem is you didnt follow up with enough videos. Not much activity on your channel. Eventually the stream will dry up. Lorraine toys video is not a huge channel yet. You might be able to get on some more of their suggested if you make more videos similar to theirs. Its harder to get on the suggested of a huge channel like toystosee or ryantoysreview. You'll have better shot with lorriane channel. Dont expect all your videos to match and get traffic though.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Chuck E Cheese generated high views for a number of channels, RTR included a while ago. Think of it as a mini trend. You hit the algo sweet spot, and got a suggested spot. What FTR said is totally spot on (as he always is :) ). I guess the crux of your qn is how to make it happen over and over (wouldn't we all love that!). I recommend picking a channel 10x larger, say at the 20k-100k sub range (as long as it's active), identify trends they're running with, and follow suit. Pick mid-range channels as you'll have a much easier time getting on suggested. If something clicks well, make more. It's all trends driven these days.

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Chuck E Cheese generated high views for a number of channels, RTR included a while ago. Think of it as a mini trend. You hit the algo sweet spot, and got a suggested spot. What FTR said is totally spot on (as he always is :) ). I guess the crux of your qn is how to make it happen over and over (wouldn't we all love that!). I recommend picking a channel 10x larger, say at the 20k-100k sub range (as long as it's active), identify trends they're running with, and follow suit. Pick mid-range channels as you'll have a much easier time getting on suggested. If something clicks well, make more. It's all trends driven these days.
Haha thanks!

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Grass Daddy

Reaction score
Yeah I've wondered the same. The youtube creators app on android told me my latest "hit video" was because the source of traffic changed from search to related. But when I tried to find that message again I couldn't. So that video just somehow hit it with the algo and is getting shown a lot in related... Not sure why or how or who lol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I recently did some similar videos that another channel is doing and on the second try that video took off.. (so far) when try to shadow them I have been suggested by them.. and this last video.. since my other ones were pretty good retention wise, I'm assuming, I even got on some really large channels like RTR, HobbyKidsTV and a few other large ones.. it was their older videos, but still gained some traffic from them. Like everyone is saying, keep making videos like those, but also don't get discouraged if it doesn't get suggested.. some may not just like FTR said :)