How to handle copyright claims in cover songs?

Paola Varela

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I want to start doing cover songs for a while before uploading my own music.

How can I proceed with this? Can I use a song with my voice on it or is this going to get me a strike? What about playing a song in an instrument?

If you have any type of information regarding copyright and cover songs it would be very appreciated, Thanks!

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Cover music is not protected by fair use statute.
I don't know if you'll get a strike. They may just flag your video & claim monetization rights.

Performances are copyrighted but they still have the copyright for the creation of the song. So technically you could try to get rid of their monetization rights with your performance copyright but that would just elevate the situation to a strike.

So if you decide to do cover songs; just accept an automated system may flag it and claim monetization rights for the studio. Either that or it may just mute your video automatically. It's all up to the studio's preference if they want youtube ad revenue or not. I highly doubt the automated system would strike you on its own. That would be something for the studio to get involved with.