GoodGoneBadPictures

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I might only be a small YouTuber still, but lately my channel has been growing a lot and I thought I'd give some hope and tips to other small YouTubers like myself.

1. Upload with Frequency- This one is huge. I know people always talk about this, but it really does play a huge role. I only had 21 subs prior to the last 28 days, but in the last 28 days I've gained 7 new subs. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of these have occurred in the past 17 days, the time period where I've had daily uploads. Daily uploads is a huge part of my growth. While 10-30 views on a video isn't a ton, this adds up really quickly when you post a new video every day, and really helps spur growth.

2. Have a Call to Action- This is a major point of business presentations, but it applies to YT as well. If you want to grow, you must convey this to viewers. At the end of each video I like to put annotations for my last video and to sub. This is huge. Reminding your viewers to subscribe is a good way to make sure they do. Also, the way YT algorithms work, the video thing is also a really helpful thing to do. YT prioritizes channels that create long watch sessions. When someone watches your video and then goes on to watch another video, whether it's yours or someone else's, it increases your priority in the algorithm. You want your viewers to keep watching even after the video is over.

3. Use Playlists- This is a bit of a smaller point and kind of a continuation of the last point, but this is another great way to increase your viewers' session lengths. It benefits you even more, because it gives you more views spread across your videos. It also generally makes sense that if someone enjoys one of your videos, they might enjoy another one of your videos in a similar category.

4. Network- Another big tool for YT growth is sitting right here in front of your face: this very site! Meeting other people for stuff like collaborations, advice, and sharing videos is a great way to grow your channel. This goes for all kinds of social media. If you use Twitter, network there. If you use Reddit, network there. You get the idea. The bigger your reach, the more likely you are to draw in viewers.

5. Collaborate- Collaborations can do a lot of good for everyone involved. Even sub counts aren't necessarily as important as you might think. Obviously collaborating with someone with more subs can be more beneficial, but the biggest thing is that you have different fan bases. If you don't have the same fans, then even small channels can help you draw up a few new fans, which can be really great for small channels trying to grow. I've seen a lot of growth from people seeing videos on other people pages with me in them and then going to check out my channel.

6. Make Good Content- This one is pretty obvious, but still important. If you really care about your channel, it should show. Invest in better gear for recording. Think about the content you are making. Never settle into a routine. You should always be trying to increase your quality. Even if you don't have the money to buy nice things, there are still lots of ways to increase your quality. Make a nice trailer for your channel. Make a quality banner. Make thumbnails that give viewers an idea of what the video is about. Think of interesting names for your videos. The list goes on and on.

7. Use Your Analytics- Analytics are really awesome. They allow you to tell what is working and what isn't. Look at where your traffic is coming from and push more to advertise on your most successful platforms. Look at your audience retention so you can see what videos are preforming well, and make more of those videos. You can even use other programs to learn even more. I use a plugin called TubeBuddy to help me learn more about how I can make my videos do better. It helps me plan when to upload videos, what tags to use, and more. You might want to check it out.

8. Don't Get Discouraged- This is my final point, but it's something everyone should hear. If you are passionate about YT then you need to keep at it. Progress is an ongoing event. If you want something in life, don't worry about not having it; worry about how you can get there. You might have to make sacrifices to get there, but if you care about the end goal, then all your sacrifices will be worth while when you get there. Keep doing your best and don't give up.

This is my two cents on the whole situation of YT growth. I hope that my tips can benefit some of you out there, and I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors. -Ethan.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

KQ4rt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
It's really hard to collaborate with others if you just started your channel so yeah number 1, 6 and 8 for sure

GoodGoneBadPictures

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's really hard to collaborate with others if you just started your channel so yeah number 1, 6 and 8 for sure
Yeah, it can be hard to collaborate with others when you are starting out, but even if you just have a few friends to record with, it can help a lot.

Pedals & Stuff

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You've gained 7 subs in 28 days and you're giving tips on how to grow a youtube channel?
Uploading daily is a silly idea that is being repeated way too often in this forum. With your views, I'd upload fewer videos and try to make them better: use tags, description, title and try to rank in search.
Have you noticed how your old videos sit at 50 views? That's because they're undiscoverable. They're dead. And every day you're creating another video that will be dead in a week or 2.
This strategy will NOT help your channel grow.

GoodGoneBadPictures

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You've gained 7 subs in 28 days and you're giving tips on how to grow a youtube channel?
Uploading daily is a silly idea that is being repeated way too often in this forum. With your views, I'd upload fewer videos and try to make them better: use tags, description, title and try to rank in search.
Have you noticed how your old videos sit at 50 views? That's because they're undiscoverable. They're dead. And every day you're creating another video that will be dead in a week or 2.
With all due respect, I'm just trying to give helpful feedback on what has worked for me. When your channel is kinda dead for a long time, and then over the course of a month gets 7 subs, that's a pretty good growth. Also, I meant this post to help out small YT channels like myself. I do agree about the old video comment, because I wan't using my current strategies when I made those videos. The newer videos I've been uploading have been still getting views even a few weeks later. Also, I do use tags and titles, and try to rank in search. I look at how my tags are ranking in searches and use that to pick tags for newer videos. Anyway, I'm not saying that what I do is gonna work for everyone, and I'm not saying that you have to do these things. I'm just sharing what has been working for me lately, and maybe it'll help other really small channels like mine. Have a good one. -Ethan.

Darkinno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just like you said.Not to post videos so often but make quality videos

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 4033X using Tapatalk

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The points are good but quite general. I don't agree with daily upload if you are uploading into a vacuum. As a priority to growth I'd focus on seo and hit search terms on longer tailed tags, that's much more important than upload frequency.
The thing that will spurt growth is getting into suggested of higher sub channels. For that you need to build channel authority across tag groups and build session time and vid view time. Nothing spurts your views and subs like being in the right sidebar of a 500k sub channel.
Another thing is pull up the rt graph for each of your vids. The ones covered in blue are getting traffic. Make more of those.

GoodGoneBadPictures

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The points are good but quite general. I don't agree with daily upload if you are uploading into a vacuum. As a priority to growth I'd focus on seo and hit search terms on longer tailed tags, that's much more important than upload frequency.
The thing that will spurt growth is getting into suggested of higher sub channels. For that you need to build channel authority across tag groups and build session time and vid view time. Nothing spurts your views and subs like being in the right sidebar of a 500k sub channel.
Another thing is pull up the rt graph for each of your vids. The ones covered in blue are getting traffic. Make more of those.
I definitely agree with a lot of what your saying. I like to analyze the tags I use for what is drawing in most views, and what is getting searched for the most. I think this kinda goes with what you are saying. For me personally, daily uploads have really helped, and allow me to figure out what type of content gets the most views and has the best retention. Thanks for the feedback. -Ethan.