How Reddit Helped Me.

KeniisuYT

YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Reddit is great for gaining new viewers, subscribers and people who have a shared interest. My subreddit which I love so much is /r/civ as I'm a Civilization fan and love to share my content there! My videos get quite a few views and occasionally I'll gain a new subscriber if I share my video in that community. Here's a few
pictures as proof.

Below you can see my previous videos shared on Reddit.

Notice how even with my channel being fairly new I still am able to get an outlet to find new viewers and people who share my similar interests? I decided to show this progress in work for everyone to see. Take this with a grain of salt however as it doesn't work depending on the Subreddit in which you share your works.

Below you can see my recently uploaded video with 0 views.

This is my post on Reddit made a few minutes after the upload.

I decided I'll give the post roughly a day to see how the views turn out on the video. So that's what I did!
Here's the views after roughly a day of this post being on Reddit.

Below you can see how this post brought this video from 0 views to 110 views.

To further prove my point in concerns to how Reddit made my content get more popular and out-there. Have a look at my Traffic/External sources for my views.

Below is my Reddit view percentage. It's 72% of all my views and that's quite the portion!

So yeah, Reddit is a godsend for some and not so much for others as it all depends on what community you post to and how you go about it, but hey, This is how Reddit Helped Me.

Le Fancy Narwhal

The Fanciest of All Narwhals
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Gamer
Good tips! Never been too into reddit, but I'll try it out!

Ultar

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you for the tip.
I link my videos on newtube and stuff like that, i dont get so many views from that so im gonna try to do it in the right community :p

KeniisuYT

YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good tips! Never been too into reddit, but I'll try it out!
Hope it works out man. You really have to find the right community which can be hard. Some communities are accepting, some not so much.

Thank you for the tip.
I link my videos on newtube and stuff like that, i dont get so many views from that so im gonna try to do it in the right community :p
Yeah, it'll take a bit of looking. /r/civ is quite active and accepting of a variety of content so I was lucky there, so hopefully you can find one that is active and accepts a field of differing content.

Reactions: Le Fancy Narwhal

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reddit really can be such a powerful tool for us YouTubers that are starting out. Thank you for sharing with us what you've done and your thoughts on it dude

Owlins

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reddit is great if you know how to use it.

Most big subreddits are getting modded to hell, but even there you could get some nice exposure.

The biggest thing you need to do is be active before you self promote. The normal reddiquette states that you can only use about 10% of your activity as self promotion. Mods have a simple way to check that so keep this in mind.

And this 10% means 10% of your submitted posts!! NOT replies. These don't count on that 10%. Furthermore the 10% goes for all of your reddit posts combined.

Winger94

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah I think that Reddit is a really big thing. But you need to consider all the subreddits because you can obtain good results if you post your content into the correct subreddit.
Picking the example of gaming videos you can obtain results quicker if you play games that actually have an active and good subreddit but in many other cases (like me, I play horror and indie games) there aren't appropriate subreddits and you must search for something a bit generic, that will lead to less results.
But yeah if you learn how to use it, it can be a really good advantage. There are a lot of big youtubers that used reddit!

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
And then there's me....this is what I got from reddit, see those spikes? x)

KeniisuYT

YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
UPDATE: Did another video and shared on Reddit and checked back in a day. Got really great results! :D
(Note: Also got 8 new subscribers!)

Peter_Brown

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You're absolutely right. Also remember that each subreddit has it's own set of rules to follow.

For instance I post a lot in /r/DIY. They require a photo log. No videos. But you can add a URL in the comments
My sub: /r/turning is more open and less stringent on rules
/r/videos is brutal on self promotion and rarely worth you posting there.