How Much Success Have You Had With Reddit?

A lot of users on Reddit think they are better than you. If they even sniff that you are promoting your own stuff, they'll vote it down to oblivion. I've been on Reddit for 9 years. I've gotten lots of views, but the big subreddits where you'll get the most action are almost impossible to penetrate. They seem to only want content that was found and not made by you. Each subreddit has a load of rules that you have to follow, so make sure you read them. You can't even post on /r/videos unless you have 10 karma in links and comments. Never hurts to try. Google how to make a good reddit post and you'll find lots of information. It can be very, very frustrating. And you'll be tempted to fight with the inane comments you may get. Good luck.

A lot of users on Reddit think they are better than you. If they even sniff that you are promoting your own stuff, they'll vote it down to oblivion. I've been on Reddit for 9 years. I've gotten lots of views, but the big subreddits where you'll get the most action are almost impossible to penetrate. They seem to only want content that was found and not made by you. Each subreddit has a load of rules that you have to follow, so make sure you read them. You can't even post on /r/videos unless you have 10 karma in links and comments. Never hurts to try. Google how to make a good reddit post and you'll find lots of information. It can be very, very frustrating. And you'll be tempted to fight with the inane comments you may get. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. My friend had the most ridiculous luck in r/games. His post managed to get 350 votes, netted him 4500 views in 2 days and 145 subscribers (he was at 200 before and is now at almost 350).

Thanks for the info. My friend had the most ridiculous luck in r/games. His post managed to get 350 votes, netted him 4500 views in 2 days and 145 subscribers (he was at 200 before and is now at almost 350).
That's pretty good. You want to blend in, post other stuff, comment on people stuff. Become a redditor, then you can slip in some of your own content every now and again. Or you can be honest and tell them it's your video, but I wouldn't suggest it.

That's pretty good. You want to blend in, post other stuff, comment on people stuff. Become a redditor, then you can slip in some of your own content every now and again. Or you can be honest and tell them it's your video, but I wouldn't suggest it.
Oh, I do. The vast majority of my posts are not related to my channel or even gaming oftentimes.

I've actually started posting interesting videos I find here on /r/videos because you are only allowed to post 10% from any given channel. It's a nice way to support a video you think is cool as well as helping you build up the cred you need to keep posting your own stuff. I can't imagine people would be p****d off if you did that. We all want more people to see our work.

I've actually started posting interesting videos I find here on /r/videos because you are only allowed to post 10% from any given channel. It's a nice way to support a video you think is cool as well as helping you build up the cred you need to keep posting your own stuff. I can't imagine people would be p****d off if you did that. We all want more people to see our work.
True - always a nice gesture.

Wow, those are some INSANE reddit results. Congrats on that success. Any tips you could provide on titling the videos like you mentioned?

It's fairly simple. Try to think why somebody would subscribe to a subreddit, then try to provide answers to their pain points. People often make the mistakes of simply using the original title of their Youtube video. This is fine at times, but it won't work on different subreddits.

Look at these two titles for example

The original title of this is simply - How to talk to anyone: 92 Little tricks by Leil Lowndes. This video is an animated book review and not something you would consider a life hack. But look how I titled it, and next thing I know I got 17,000+ views from it within 14 hours.
Screen_Shot_2016_09_13_at_3_27_18_PM.png

This video is originally called - How to become Rich - Invest in Yourself First - Read a book a day. It's not something you would think belongs in a productivity subreddit. But look at how I titled it, and got me an easy 1000 views.
Screen_Shot_2016_09_13_at_3_26_11_PM.png

It's also good to reply back to every comment, nice ones or bads. People tend to click on posts with lots of comments.

There's lot of haters who will down vote your videos in Reddit. But if your video is high quality enough, you have a very good chance of exploding.

It's fairly simple. Try to think why somebody would subscribe to a subreddit, then try to provide answers to their pain points. People often make the mistakes of simply using the original title of their Youtube video. This is fine at times, but it won't work on different subreddits.

Look at these two titles for example

The original title of this is simply - How to talk to anyone: 92 Little tricks by Leil Lowndes. This video is an animated book review and not something you would consider a life hack. But look how I titled it, and next thing I know I got 17,000+ views from it within 14 hours.
Screen_Shot_2016_09_13_at_3_27_18_PM.png

This video is originally called - How to become Rich - Invest in Yourself First - Read a book a day. It's not something you would think belongs in a productivity subreddit. But look at how I titled it, and got me an easy 1000 views.
Screen_Shot_2016_09_13_at_3_26_11_PM.png

It's also good to reply back to every comment, nice ones or bads. People tend to click on posts with lots of comments.

There's lot of haters who will down vote your videos in Reddit. But if your video is high quality enough, you have a very good chance of exploding.
Thanks for the tips - very helpful. Many gaming subreddits are not very keen on self-promotion so I'll see how things go.

I'd like to try it to see how it turns out. It seems like my luck on twitter just brings me other people trying to promote there stuff. I mean I get it that's the point it's just how they come across. I'm a person first on social media and these accounts just throw their websites at you first.

I have yet to post videos on Reddit, but I can tell you my experience from the user's perspective:

-I would watch it if it's an impressive video. For example this morning I watched "30-ton meteor discovered in Argentina".
-Shorter is better for me. The video mentioned above was over 2 minutes long. I only watched 20 seconds max, the rest I fast forwarded.
-Posting on the right sub-reddit is key

-Will

Last edited:
Back