Laura Wills

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey Everyone!
My name is Laura and my boyfriend, Richie, and I share a vlogging channel where we film our lives here in south Florida! We started our channel a few months go and since then have struggled a bit with uploading consistently. For the first few weeks we were uploading almost daily and as time went by and we got busy with our jobs so we stopped posting as frequently. We recently started posting again and have made a goal to try to upload 2 times a week.
Do you have any advice or tips on how you stay more consistent when uploading. Its tough because we like to take the extra time to film something of better quality. What do you think is better: more consistent shorter of less quality videos OR not as consistent better quality videos?!!
Thank you all for reading, hope to get some conversations flowing in this thread! :)

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I try to upload once a week. Sometimes that does not happen due to circumstances. It is what it is. If I was doing it for a living I would feel very much guilty about that fact. But since I have a regular 9-5 job and have other things that require my attention I really am doing the most I can. And honestly, you don't want to force out content if you are "missing" your deadline. My deadlines are soft ones. I would like to upload once a week, but if I don't make that such is life. I am not going to loose any sleep over it.

Reactions: Anjim

Laura Wills

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I try to upload once a week. Sometimes that does not happen due to circumstances. It is what it is. If I was doing it for a living I would feel very much guilty about that fact. But since I have a regular 9-5 job and have other things that require my attention I really am doing the most I can. And honestly, you don't want to force out content if you are "missing" your deadline. My deadlines are soft ones. I would like to upload once a week, but if I don't make that such is life. I am not going to loose any sleep over it.
Thanks for your advice! I totally agree,"forcing" out content just to meet a deadline wont help us in the long run, and honestly those are the videos we are least proud of. We are much more proud of our work when its thought out not rushed. I think for the two of us to both be working full time jobs its just unrealistic to be uploading daily.
BTW, your channel is great, Richie and I just went to a car show tonight (will be in our next vlog). I'm obsessed with older refurbished/rebuilt cars and dream to own one one day and paint it turquoise!

Reactions: TheDutchTexan

Leon Lush

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
First and foremost I think you need to find your purpose. Why do you want to vlog? Did you watch Casey Neistat and catch the bug? Do you want to grow a large following and make money? Do you actually like lugging a camera with you everywhere? I ask these questions to to come off rude, but because there I see many people that think they want to vlog because some of the top youtube vloggers make it look so glamorous... but they underestimate the amount of time and dedication and patience it takes to become "successful" at it. I'm speaking part anecdotally and also from what I see through consuming thousands of hours of youtube content. So before I move on my question is, "Why do you want to vlog?" Once you can confidently say what your purpose is without lying to yourself, then you can go all in. I recently went through this with myself and realized that I wasn't happy with the constant pressure of feeling like I have to capture my every move... and now I much happier doing more commentary/animation style movies that I can do from the comfort of my own office at my own time... it's not to say I won't eventually get back to doing it depending on where youtube takes me, but for now, it wasn't worth the effort.

All that being said, if you are the type of person that just loves to vlog and capture lifes moments and spend many hours editing, it should start with a plan. As much as their is a "random" aspect to some vlogs, a lot of the themes are at least thought out ahead of time. Maybe the day before you film you and your boyfriend could think of a title you want to give your next day's vlog and use that to get some ideas flowing. Obviously you will have a lot of normal life things taking up your time, so try and be creative with ways you can make seeminly mundane things kind of interesting.... that part takes talent but it pulled off masterfully by popular vloggers. One thing you realize when youtube isn't already your fulltime living, is that it's hard to come up with a lot of interesting footage when you are working 40+ hours a week.

Finally, it doesn't have to be extremely strict in the beginning, but you should try and adhere to some sort of posting schedule. I think a minimum of once a week, but if possible 2x or more is better. Just do what you can without it becoming too overbearing. As fun as vlogging and youtube is, it should really be treated like a second job (albeit a fun job) if you want it to become a serious source of income someday.

From someone who has asked myself multipe times all the questions I just tried to answer in the previous paragraphs, I wish you all the best and hope you find what style of youtubing suits you best.

Reactions: KidsCorner

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hey Everyone!
My name is Laura and my boyfriend, Richie, and I share a vlogging channel where we film our lives here in south Florida! We started our channel a few months go and since then have struggled a bit with uploading consistently. For the first few weeks we were uploading almost daily and as time went by and we got busy with our jobs so we stopped posting as frequently. We recently started posting again and have made a goal to try to upload 2 times a week.
Do you have any advice or tips on how you stay more consistent when uploading. Its tough because we like to take the extra time to film something of better quality. What do you think is better: more consistent shorter of less quality videos OR not as consistent better quality videos?!!
Thank you all for reading, hope to get some conversations flowing in this thread! :)
I prefer quality over quantity. Some of my favorite channels post only a couple times a year, but when they do I put everything aside to watch their new videos.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the Strategies & Technique Advice Forum. ^_^

LoveShack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
First off, to answer your main question. I would say that if you want to make sure you record, it may sound cliche, but make sure everyday you make sure you go out and do something that's worth vlogging (even if it's just a gym session or going for a jog). It may sound crazy but sometimes some vloggers can seem to make the smallest things in life seem more interesting than it really is (Casey Neistat). But if you can't find anything to do daily I would suggest to try a weekly vlog to recap the whole week.
Secondly, to answer your question about quality or quantity? I say quality is the key. If you are going to upload an amazing video once a week, people will antisipate it to always be there at the same time every week. So that can go back to a weekly recap montage video.
I have kind of had the same problem because I have been wanting to really start vlogging (mainly because my younger brothers caught a Casey Neistat bug and they also think it's easy to make it big like their favorite vlogger RomanAtwood). But the only down part at when I comitted to buying a camera, they started back up with school and I work 5-6 days a week and about to start back up college. But to my defense I will be living at home so I could easily keep the videos going while I live at home but I kind of feel like at my house we are always too busy at this time of year to go out and go on adventures.

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That what I do and focus one side project

Reactions: TheDutchTexan

Laura Wills

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I prefer quality over quantity. Some of my favorite channels post only a couple times a year, but when they do I put everything aside to watch their new videos.
Good point! I think at the end of the day, quality is more important. Thanks for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1471014756,1471014096][/DOUBLEPOST]
First off, to answer your main question. I would say that if you want to make sure you record, it may sound cliche, but make sure everyday you make sure you go out and do something that's worth vlogging (even if it's just a gym session or going for a jog). It may sound crazy but sometimes some vloggers can seem to make the smallest things in life seem more interesting than it really is (Casey Neistat). But if you can't find anything to do daily I would suggest to try a weekly vlog to recap the whole week.
Secondly, to answer your question about quality or quantity? I say quality is the key. If you are going to upload an amazing video once a week, people will anticipate it to always be there at the same time every week. So that can go back to a weekly recap montage video.
I have kind of had the same problem because I have been wanting to really start vlogging (mainly because my younger brothers caught a Casey Neistat bug and they also think it's easy to make it big like their favorite vlogger RomanAtwood). But the only down part at when I comitted to buying a camera, they started back up with school and I work 5-6 days a week and about to start back up college. But to my defense I will be living at home so I could easily keep the videos going while I live at home but I kind of feel like at my house we are always too busy at this time of year to go out and go on adventures.
Great ideas, thank you so much for your input! A weekly update is a good idea, and would work well with both of our schedules considering we both work full time jobs and youtube is just a hobby currently. Ideally we would want to upload twice a week, 1 really good video and then maybe 1 "montage of clips" video might work!
I've seen Casey Neistat, he is amazing but his stuff is not always what I prefer style wise, but it's crazy how he can make an everyday task so interesting. But I think whats important to know is that it wasn't always like that for him. He always says that it took him like 5 years to even reach the first 1 million subs. I'm sure when he only had a 1,000 subscribers the content he uploaded was different.
My boyfriend definitely has the Casey and Roman bug, but I'm more of a person who would prefer a video with awesome shots and great music, with less talking–where my boyfriend would prefer to talk mostly in the videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1471016654][/DOUBLEPOST]
First and foremost I think you need to find your purpose. Why do you want to vlog? Did you watch Casey Neistat and catch the bug? Do you want to grow a large following and make money? Do you actually like lugging a camera with you everywhere? I ask these questions to to come off rude, but because there I see many people that think they want to vlog because some of the top youtube vloggers make it look so glamorous... but they underestimate the amount of time and dedication and patience it takes to become "successful" at it. I'm speaking part anecdotally and also from what I see through consuming thousands of hours of youtube content. So before I move on my question is, "Why do you want to vlog?" Once you can confidently say what your purpose is without lying to yourself, then you can go all in. I recently went through this with myself and realized that I wasn't happy with the constant pressure of feeling like I have to capture my every move... and now I much happier doing more commentary/animation style movies that I can do from the comfort of my own office at my own time... it's not to say I won't eventually get back to doing it depending on where youtube takes me, but for now, it wasn't worth the effort.

All that being said, if you are the type of person that just loves to vlog and capture lifes moments and spend many hours editing, it should start with a plan. As much as their is a "random" aspect to some vlogs, a lot of the themes are at least thought out ahead of time. Maybe the day before you film you and your boyfriend could think of a title you want to give your next day's vlog and use that to get some ideas flowing. Obviously you will have a lot of normal life things taking up your time, so try and be creative with ways you can make seeminly mundane things kind of interesting.... that part takes talent but it pulled off masterfully by popular vloggers. One thing you realize when youtube isn't already your fulltime living, is that it's hard to come up with a lot of interesting footage when you are working 40+ hours a week.

Finally, it doesn't have to be extremely strict in the beginning, but you should try and adhere to some sort of posting schedule. I think a minimum of once a week, but if possible 2x or more is better. Just do what you can without it becoming too overbearing. As fun as vlogging and youtube is, it should really be treated like a second job (albeit a fun job) if you want it to become a serious source of income someday.

From someone who has asked myself multipe times all the questions I just tried to answer in the previous paragraphs, I wish you all the best and hope you find what style of youtubing suits you best.
Thank you for your response, you do make a lot of valid points. Between both of us working full time and our schedules constantly changing it is difficult for us to stay consistent. Although I don't think that our jobs should be the reason why we don't upload. We started a channel together as a hobby to force us to get outside and experience places around us, travel, and just not be bums and stay inside and all day. I just graduated from art school so naturally I am a creative person and I think I brought out Richie's creative side in him. I have a passion for capturing the beautiful places around us and Richie loves his equipment and flying the drone–all sorts of stuff like that. Honestly our favorite part of make videos is putting together a creative video and being able to have those memories forever. The first year of our relationship all our memories were captured on our smartphone and we never looked at the photos or videos and eventually ending up deleting them because of limited storage. With youtube we are able to document all the fun times we have together and have them on a platform where we can look back on our memories and share them with other people.
We are both comfortable with our jobs and are not looking for money out of this, unfortunately most people do right out of the get go are. Eventually I think that would be nice but we have to earn our way there and not just expect that from the beginning. I'm a true believer in doing what makes you happy will bring you success and if uploading 1 or 2 "better quality" videos that aren't as consistent is what works for us then I think thats whats best. Forcing out content just to upload is not going to help us in the long run.
Coming up with the Title ahead of time is a good idea, just to get some ideas flowing. We've made a list of video ideas with two sections, 1. Ideas to do after a work day & 2. Ideas for our days off. Obviously, on our days off we can put more time and effort into videos, but we only have one or two days off a week. So the majority of the time we have to make our videos in the late afternoons after work, which can sometimes be a struggle.
With all said, I appreciate your input and hope the best for you and your channel! Patience is a virtue and with time we will get into more of a routine and coming up with good ideas and staying consistent will just become natural!

jjwickings

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
What I've found helps me is having a Set Schedule. Like, "I post a video every Tuesday and Thursday; I film on Wednesdays and Fridays." Then block aside time for it and don't let anything get in the way. Personally, other than work, I make uploading to youtube my top daily priority.