Help with tagging my videos please :( confused boy

bodaniel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi YTtalk community! How you all going?

Okay so, I have read multiple articles and watched multiple videos on how to tag my videos. I understand that things even such as the name of the raw file you are uploading combined with the words used in the description box can contribute towards your video appearing as one of the first search results. I understand there are different kinds of tags, such as key words, the title of the video, related content etc. However, even after researching this a fair bit I feel like I am still not getting the results I would like. Can anyone please share with me some tips they have found with tagging their videos?

JTMulcahy

Actor
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Animator
I was super confused about this as well, but I just realized that if I focus on using words that relate to my video, or words that I would most likely use to search for my video, then I'd be fine.

An example would be this:

I just recently uploaded a gaming video, not something I regularly do. To start off I tagged the title of my video, the title of the game, the genre of my game "horror" and then decided to check out popular YouTuber's tags. (You can do this by going to a video and pressing Ctrl + U) If you scroll down you should see something like this. This is what was on Markiplier's video of the game.

From here I can check out which tags were used and which ones would work for me, it seems he threw in a "charlie charlie" tag at the bottom which is kind of click baiting imo because he never mentioned anything about it in his video, I'd avoid adding false tags.

By tagging my video this way my "Black Rose Updated" video is on the first page, about halfway down.

Mainly make sure that you keep tags limited to what your video covers and you should be fine, let me know if you have any questions!

bodaniel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. You have already helped me immensely. I usually use control U for stupid stuff like finding the source of an embedded picture you cant save haha but never thought to use it for tags on a video! While I have your expertise, what do you reckon would be some tags I should be using for something as simple as a vlog? For example I posted a vlog entitled "My First Vlog|Weekend Fun", I would love to just quickly pick your brain as to what you would tag off the top of your head.

JTMulcahy

Actor
Reaction score
Channel Type

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. You have already helped me immensely. I usually use control U for stupid stuff like finding the source of an embedded picture you cant save haha but never thought to use it for tags on a video! While I have your expertise, what do you reckon would be some tags I should be using for something as simple as a vlog? For example I posted a vlog entitled "My First Vlog|Weekend Fun", I would love to just quickly pick your brain as to what you would tag off the top of your head.
No prob man! I literally just found this out myself a little while ago and it was a pain in the a** to figure out, but I feel like it gets so simple once you get used to it.

That's a good question about vlogs. Generally I've been going to popular places for my vlogs so I usually make sure to tag those locations, but I guess if it's a regular vlog where you're not really going anywhere, try to tag things you reference. Maybe you make a joke about Pokemon somewhere in your vlog, you can now add that as a tag to your video. It may not draw a ton of views, but sometimes people stumble on your videos that way.

For first vlogs I know that the tag "My First vlog" or something along those lines generally draws viewers. When I put my first vlog up lots of people seemed to randomly find it which was cool, I didn't even know anything about tagging back then, I just stuck that in there.

Reactions: bodaniel

bodaniel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
No prob man! I literally just found this out myself a little while ago and it was a pain in the a** to figure out, but I feel like it gets so simple once you get used to it.

That's a good question about vlogs. Generally I've been going to popular places for my vlogs so I usually make sure to tag those locations, but I guess if it's a regular vlog where you're not really going anywhere, try to tag things you reference. Maybe you make a joke about Pokemon somewhere in your vlog, you can now add that as a tag to your video. It may not draw a ton of views, but sometimes people stumble on your videos that way.

For first vlogs I know that the tag "My First vlog" or something along those lines generally draws viewers. When I put my first vlog up lots of people seemed to randomly find it which was cool, I didn't even know anything about tagging back then, I just stuck that in there.
JT Man you have been such a help to me. I really appreciate you having taken the time to give me your two cents. Thanks so much for all of your help. I see that you like to act, woohoo one of my peers! Thanks dude!

Reactions: JTMulcahy

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This was really useful, thank you! I had no idea you could actually do that with Ctrl + U. Markiplier, you cheeky son of a gun.

I think when you have a substantial following and know that people will search your actual name, that gives you several more options. I add mine in anyway - not because I think I'm famous or anything - but on the offchance that someone does choose to search my name and see what comes up, they're more likely to actually see content by me!

JTMulcahy

Actor
Reaction score
Channel Type
This was really useful, thank you! I had no idea you could actually do that with Ctrl + U. Markiplier, you cheeky son of a gun.

I think when you have a substantial following and know that people will search your actual name, that gives you several more options. I add mine in anyway - not because I think I'm famous or anything - but on the offchance that someone does choose to search my name and see what comes up, they're more likely to actually see content by me!
Yea you definitely want to add your channel name to your tags because what happens is then it makes it more likely that your videos will appear in the "suggested videos" box on the right hand side as well, so after they watch one of your videos they should hopefully find even more with ease.

bodaniel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
thanks guys you are the best! Love hearing all these little tips and tricks of the trade.

Reactions: JTMulcahy

Absol4Prez

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah like JTM said, tagging what your title about should be the first thing. And if you are covering something relatively popular (i.e. Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Super Bowl) you will get more views since alot more people look that stuff up alot more than most things. I'm not saying to just make vids of popular things, because if you do that then youtube will start get boring and you dont want that. One thing I do is try to add a minimum of around 10-15 tags on a video. I hope this helped bro, and I wish you the best! =)