Help needed with audio

Tom H

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this site so I thought I'd start off by saying hello and I hope you're all well! Anyway the issue I'm having is with my Microphone. Basically I'm trying to record gameplay with commentary but my microphone I use to record my voice keeps on picking up the TV sound so all you can hear in the background is an echo of all the sounds that come from my TV such as gunfire and stuff which just completely ruins my video. So does anyone have a solution to this? Is there a specific headset I should use that doesn't pick up any background noise or a setting I should be using? Thanks in advance!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

MC'01

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Plug in normal headphones to your TV/PC and that's it :-D
There won't be any echo, if you'll play with headphones

J0eyy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Try Audacity, its a program for audio and there are tons of tutorials on how to get rid of background noise.

CrystalD

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah I think just plugging headphones into your TV will do the trick. Then no game audio will be on the mic but it'll still be being recordded into whatever your recording footage into. Also lowering your mic's gain would help as well!

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hi everyone I'm new to this site so I thought I'd start off by saying hello and I hope you're all well! Anyway the issue I'm having is with my Microphone. Basically I'm trying to record gameplay with commentary but my microphone I use to record my voice keeps on picking up the TV sound so all you can hear in the background is an echo of all the sounds that come from my TV such as gunfire and stuff which just completely ruins my video. So does anyone have a solution to this? Is there a specific headset I should use that doesn't pick up any background noise or a setting I should be using? Thanks in advance!
So there's a few solutions you can do to prevent this issue. If you can adjust the gain on your mic and lower it without it affecting your main audio (I would recommend doing some research on proper audio levels) that may be a solution. You could also lower the audio of the TV which would then help prevent your mic from picking up the sound. A better headset would help with this as well.

Now to clarify you aren't picking up another TV in the background you meant the sound from the TV that you're playing games off of?

I mic with a more directional pick up pattern would also help with your sound issues (the more directional the less background noise you pick up, cardiod mics will pick up more background noise than say a shot gun mic but I wouldn't recommend a shotgun mic for gaming commentary.)