Got a copyright claim on a Youtube library song

Dani Girl

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used a royalty free song from the YT library 2 years ago. I just got notice of matched 3rd party content "the copyright owner can choose to run ads" etc etc .

I looked and the song is no longer in the library.

Has anyone else experienced this with songs they used from the YT music library? The whole point of using the music from there is to avoid copyright problems. I can remove the song, I don't care about it, it doesn't make or break the video but the problem is once you remove a song after its been up and try to monetize again, it never allows you to even if you have replaced the music. So the video is pretty much never going to get monetized.

Could it be that some owners of these videos are f copyright trolling, taking their music down and filing claims so they can run ads on videos that have been up a while with their music? Maybe I am overthinking it, I am just annoyed that this can happen because I have a lot of videos using royalty free music from the library and if this keeps happening I will lose the ability to ever monetize videos that have a lot of views already.

Smug Thuggler

help!myspacebarisn'tworking!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You probably know this already, but some of the songs in the music library require you to put the name of the song as well as the artist and a link to the artist's website in your description, maybe this was one of those songs and you forgot to?

Dani Girl

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is possible, I can't tell now because it was removed. But 2 years ago I don't think they were asking that were they? For some reason I feel like I only started seeing that this last year.

GamingDan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
YT updates its music library often, seeing how some artists decide to copyright it. Your song fell into that category.

Mr Kerbibble

A couple of nerds. A nerd couple, if you will.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Jeez, that's a little horrifying. Is there no way to protect yourself with these type of things? Otherwise, what's the point of using the YT audio?

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah now I'm worried. I use music from the Youtube library. Shouldn't there be some kind of ex post facto type thing where if you put the song in the video when it was royalty free that you still have rights to use it if an artist starts to license the song?