Good (but free) encoding/editing software?

Benie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I make unlisted video game review videos for my website. Currently, I'm taking advantage of my PS4's capture card and SHAREfactory to edit them. But I really want to be able to get into doing PC video game videos.

Now I know of Fraps as a free encoder, used it before. But I could never figure out the correct settings to use (mainly of the framerate. I've heard it's best to record in 30FPS, but...meh). But as for the editor... I want something that has a user-friendly interface (similar to the PS4's SHAREfactory editor). Currently the way I do my review videos, I use my earbuds to hear the ingame sound, so my speakers won't pick it up to have my mic also pick it up.
Then I overlay my vocal audio over the video, render, upload it to my flash drive, and then upload to Youtube. It does the job of rendering in 720p, which to me is acceptable, and the frames are exactly synced to the way I recorded it.
Is there an editor like this for the PC?

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A free recording software to use would be OBS multiplatform it allows you to do what you mentioned with audio but don't expect to simply download and it will all work. With any software if you put a small effort into the config you'll get more control over the quality of your video. OBS I find simple to use and tutorials (whole but ton on Youtube) to set up recording are about 5 - 8 minutes long which you will have to set up for OBS. For a free editor there is lightworks (render in 720p videos for the free version) that more and more people seem to be using, I do not know how user friendly it is but you will surely have to learn the basics. Right now I am using Dxtory which cost £20 ($29) that is a bit simpler than OBS, you just choose the codec you want to be recording with and select your audio outputs. If you want an even friendlier recording software there is bandicam and camstasia which is free but I think you have a watermark on your video if you use the free versions. Camstasia also has it's own in built editor which is super user friendly, my younger brother loves using it since he has no experience in video editing. You can also try using audacity if you want a free audio editing tool to make your voice sound a bit more professional.

Last edited:

SensualC4

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
OBS is great for capturing, and if you want to spend a little money down the line you can capture from your PS4 to your PC via El Gato. Editing software You COULD always try window movie maker IF you are desperate, ;_; lol. I'd give the comment above a shot, lots of options there!

Reactions: Shehzad

Nexz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you're looking for a decent editing software I recommend sony vegas. It's a couple hundred dollars but with about 10 minutes of searching you could find a patch to get it for free, that's what I did