Getting your channel whitelisted

mikehaden

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hello,
I am a music producer and at this moment I have 3 remixes uploaded on my youtube channel which are all included in the ContentID system and they are claimed by their copyright holder, in this case, 3 different record labels.

I have been thinking to send an email to the record labels asking to get my channel whitelisted, for the sake of having a clear channel. A thing that must be said is that I am not planning to monetize the videos under question or (if) other future songs remixes that are owned by these third-parties. I know it is possible to whitelist other channels as I have some experience with it myself.

Now, for those who hold more information than me on this thing - What might they ask in return for doing this? I doubt they will whitelist my channel with no requirements upon me from their side.

I have not yet proceeded with this as I would like to get some more information on this matter before!

Thank you!

Yvelinaa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hmm.... It's most likley you'll get no responce but how does one allow a remix to be ContentID'd.... Thought Youtube allowed remixes, yes they do but it should overall sound different to the orginal song along with giving credit to the original song artist and affliated record producer.

Reactions: mikehaden

mikehaden

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hmm.... It's most likley you'll get no responce but how does one allow a remix to be ContentID'd.... Thought Youtube allowed remixes, yes they do but it should overall sound different to the orginal song along with giving credit to the original song artist and affliated record producer.
Thanks for your response.
Apparently, the content that is ContentID'd is the original song. At least that is what it is written in the details of the copyrighted content on my video manager, even though the remixes are way different than the original song. The only similarities are the vocals.
For one of the remixes, I signed a contract with the record label as it is an official remix and there are auto-generated videos for my remix which make me believe it is ContentID'd. The other 2 remixes are part of remix competitions which the record labels approved to upload them on youtube, as a part of validating the remix.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If you are performing a remix of a song, then having them be matched in content ID is appropriate. There should be an option in youtube that lets you say, "This is my cover of another person's work" which should allow for revenue sharing.

To answer your question though, it's unlikely that you'll be whitelisted because the problem with covers and remixes is that you are using the copyrighted material of another person without compensating them. Through a content ID match, YouTube can monetize the video and make sure that the original copyright owner gets revenue. Through checking the box that it is a cover/remix, there is a revenue split between you as the remixer and the original copyright owner. If you didn't want this, there's likely a "royalty-free" price you could pay, but royalty-free pricing is more like making a lump sum payment rather than having money taken out through ad-revenue.

Content ID matches aren't bad. It's just a way of recognizing that yes, you are using something created by someone else. If you don't want any content ID matches, then you'll have to create your own compositions from scratch rather than remixing.

Reactions: mikehaden

mikehaden

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Alright. Thanks for sharing with me this information. I might just delete those remixes and upload my own content on the channel so I'll have no problems in the future.

Last edited:

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Alright. Thanks for sharing with me this information. I might just delete those remixes and upload my own content on the channel so I'll have no problems in the future.
Content ID matches aren't copyright strikes and, outside of sharing revenue with the original artist/ whoever owns the rights, they won't cause you any problems now or in the future.

mikehaden

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Content ID matches aren't copyright strikes and, outside of sharing revenue with the original artist/ whoever owns the rights, they won't cause you any problems now or in the future.
I am aware of that. In this moment and the near future, I don't feel like joining a MCN, but later I might change my mind and some of them might be against having claimed content on my channel by other third parties.

Reactions: just Moto

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Email them and see if you can get whitelist. I got Whitelisted with a very popular music company at 20k subs, the requirement was 40k. They email me weekly with song suggestions now.

mikehaden

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Email them and see if you can get whitelist. I got Whitelisted with a very popular music company at 20k subs, the requirement was 40k. They email me weekly with song suggestions now.
Nice. I'll try sending them an email.