Face on screen, or not

Is it important to have yourself on the screen or is the voice okay ?

• Face

• Voice

• Doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.

Heizenblog

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My channel is all about gaming and at the moment I don't have a camera so all you have is the game play with my voice as commentary. Do you feel that my channel would benefit from investing in a camera? or is it not really that important as its more about the content?

I only ask as someone suggested it could help improve my subs count, but I don't want to do this if its not important.

What do you all think about this.

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it can be beneficial especially if something funny happens or what not people can actually see your reaction instead of just hearing your laughter. Some people like watching the person playing bust a gut when something funny happens or jump out of their chair when they get the snot scared out of them. It also makes it more personal for the viewer in my opinion. All in all it's up to you.

Personally i am just using my phone as the camera quality is pretty decent since I can't afford a camera at the moment.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup2:

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
Are you an average to above average looking girl with tight fitting clothing? Otherwise I don't think it matters.

BaileyEnergy

Reaction score
I think it depends. For a gaming channel that does Achievement/trophy walkthroughs (for example) a face isn't necessary but for a channel that creates Let's Play videos (again, for example) I feel a face is probably worth while so viewers can feel like they're sharing the experience with you.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My channel is all about gaming and at the moment I don't have a camera so all you have is the game play with my voice as commentary. Do you feel that my channel would benefit from investing in a camera? or is it not really that important as its more about the content?

I only ask as someone suggested it could help improve my subs count, but I don't want to do this if its not important.

What do you all think about this.
It depends really if you're the sort of person that really reacts to games and would be funny on camera then I would recommend it. If you're like me though and barely visually react to games then there's probably no point in getting one. There is GameGrumps though who don't use a webcam and their videos are still great and they're really big.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Well YouTube is a visual media, so I do feel that it's easier to make a connection with the Youtuber if you can see them. Having said that, there are plenty of examples of successful channels who don't show their face, but yes I do feel they would have grown more quickly if they had shown their face.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Not so much with gaming channels but I do generally prefer to see the face of whoever is making the content.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
as a gaming channel , it might depends on waht the genre or game you re playing ,generally games with the most impressions and reactions are horror games ..me : idon t have a problem hearing comments without a facecam , but you will have to make it short and interesting and funny ..i commented some of your videos on your channel can you see them?

Reactions: Heizenblog

Heizenblog

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
as a gaming channel , it might depends on waht the genre or game you re playing ,generally games with the most impressions and reactions are horror games ..me : idon t have a problem hearing comments without a facecam , but you will have to make it short and interesting and funny ..i commented some of your videos on your channel can you see them?
I did indeed, thanks for taking the time to comment.

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It depends really if you're the sort of person that really reacts to games and would be funny on camera then I would recommend it. If you're like me though and barely visually react to games then there's probably no point in getting one. There is GameGrumps though who don't use a webcam and their videos are still great and they're really big.
This is solid advice. My two cents is that people are drawn to the game first but stay for the personality...meaning if you create a persona that is entertaining while you play, then you will gain more followers and higher retention.