External Hard Drives, and Managing Files

Scheck

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey folks,

I have just finished my third Vlog since my second wind of Vlogging and I've just seen I've used 15GB of data already. Previously, I was travelling lightly, and each time I uploaded a Vlog onto Youtube I would simply delete the original files and start clean. I couldn't carry a Hard Drive with me, and I was editing on a tablet (eeeuughgh never again).

Now I want to keep ALL original files in case I feel like remaking a video, or using specific parts for a future trailer etc.

I didn't foresee how much data I actually collect though, and thus will probably need to purchase a new EXTERNAL (has to be- I'm borrowing somebody else's computer) hard drive that I can use specifically for creating videos. It also has to be powered by USB (not mains). Any suggestions? What does everyone else use?
Ideally, I don't want to be spending more than £60/$100, but I can always be swayed.

And whilst on the topic, my current hard drive's Video Section is arranged as follows:
*Royalty Free Music
*Time Lapses
*Completed Vlogs
*Current Projects
*Miscellaneous Shots

Does this seem smart? How's everyone else's files look?

Also, related, my current HardDrive has had a new shell a few years ago, and has been fixed numerous times since with tape, the great healer.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I have two external hard drives. One is a 3TB drive that has all of my finished videos, original footage, and project files. The second is a 2TB drive that has all of my audio plugins and music sample libraries (about 500 GB full...but I'll probably fill it up eventually). I edit all of my footage locally, and then move everything over to the 3TB drive after I upload the video. ^_^ Big huge drives go on sale periodically, and I was able to get the 3TB drive for about $100, and I think the 2TB was around $50. I first started with the 2TB drive as my only extra drive, but I realized after a year that I needed a lot more space than that! =S

AuthorFilms Studios

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A very good USB external HDD for just under £60 is the Samsung D3 Station (2TB). I would recommend it for starting out but It is very sensitive and is prone to breaking from the smallest drop/error (mine broke after 17 months after my computer unexpectedly shut off with the drive connected), so if you are going to use it in rugged conditions, this is not what you're looking for.

Scheck

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
A very good USB external HDD for just under £60 is the Samsung D3 Station (2TB). I would recommend it for starting out but It is very sensitive and is prone to breaking from the smallest drop/error (mine broke after 17 months after my computer unexpectedly shut off with the drive connected), so if you are going to use it in rugged conditions, this is not what you're looking for.
Ah this was on my list but unfortunately I am THE MOST CLUMSY person I know. My current one is held together by tape so you get the idea!

Reactions: AuthorFilms Studios