Editing Tips and Tricks?

RashadTheCreator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey!

I've been doing Youtube for over a year now and editing seems to be the part most people like the least. Sometimes I can't wait to edit a video and sometimes it feels like a chore. I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or tricks in order to speed up the editing process or make it more enjoyable.

Note: I currently use Kinemaster to edit and it is an amazing app! I would just like to cut down my editing time as I currently spend about 3 hours editing.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I edit with Vegas and it feels like a pretty quick program to do it with. If you're ever editing hours of streaming or something like that, you can hit play and just drag the clip left and it will be a quicker way of speeding through the footage lol. In Premiere, you drag the time-cursor-thing forward to get the same effect. In general, I just feel like Vegas can do basic editing quicker. It seems to have an interface built for it.

Reactions: tahlia

RashadTheCreator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I edit with Vegas and it feels like a pretty quick program to do it with. If you're ever editing hours of streaming or something like that, you can hit play and just drag the clip left and it will be a quicker way of speeding through the footage lol. In Premiere, you drag the time-cursor-thing forward to get the same effect. In general, I just feel like Vegas can do basic editing quicker. It seems to have an interface built for it.
Thanks! Ill give it a try!

tahlia

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I second the Vegas-for-basic-editing notion!! I do a lot of pan/cropping in my videos, but editing is still a decently smooth and non-aggravating process. I feel like Premiere/After Effects are more advanced than necessary for most YouTube videos, but apps & lower-tier programs can be virtually impossible/super time consuming to use - Vegas kind of falls into a nice middle-ground haha
Editing can still get tedious regardless though; I think it's just important to give yourself breaks when you need and ensure that you're only editing when you're motivated or you'll end up despising the video and it'll probably turn out poorer-than-usual quality anyway, so all-around it benefits no-one!

Reactions: CTAC

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I second the Vegas-for-basic-editing notion!! I do a lot of pan/cropping in my videos, but editing is still a decently smooth and non-aggravating process. I feel like Premiere/After Effects are more advanced than necessary for most YouTube videos, but apps & lower-tier programs can be virtually impossible/super time consuming to use - Vegas kind of falls into a nice middle-ground haha
Editing can still get tedious regardless though; I think it's just important to give yourself breaks when you need and ensure that you're only editing when you're motivated or you'll end up despising the video and it'll probably turn out poorer-than-usual quality anyway, so all-around it benefits no-one!
Exactly! Vegas is meant as some kind of middle ground that takes some of the edge off of others like Premiere. Premiere has some great compositing and I miss it overall. I went back to the Vegas family because I wanted to own my software, but the Cloud is great. Vegas even links to a counterpart of After Effects' called HitFilm, which is about as good as After Effects as far as most Youtube videos are concerned.

RashadTheCreator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Brilliant thank you for the tip![DOUBLEPOST=1550057203,1550057167][/DOUBLEPOST]
Exactly! Vegas is meant as some kind of middle ground that takes some of the edge off of others like Premiere. Premiere has some great compositing and I miss it overall. I went back to the Vegas family because I wanted to own my software, but the Cloud is great. Vegas even links to a counterpart of After Effects' called HitFilm, which is about as good as After Effects as far as most Youtube videos are concerned.
Thanks! I'm hearing a lot about Vegas so it's definitely something i'll try out

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
On a different angle, look at the small tasks within your workflow. For example, I have been trying to get into the habit of saving templates for project folder structure, video edit settings, color grading settings, titles, etc. Also, the use of keyboard shortcuts for common actions can save you time on a project. Small adjustments save a few seconds here, a minute there, it can add up to 20-30 minute savings on a project.

CTAC

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks!

Destroyer30i6

I've Got It
Reaction score
I personally use LightWorks (I know....) but I have got the hand of how it feels and I can do some decent things with it. I am looking to upgrade to Vegas or After Effects but at the minute with my Sub count I cannot justify the money (cos i'm legitness! haha). I personally think LightWorks is a decent piece of editing software and allows you to do most things required for editing basic videos