Does "Sub for sub" ever actually work?

Well, I don't think it's a terrible thing unless what @YouTuber1978 was implying is true, which is that Youtube's algorithms will see the mismatch between subs and views/comments and it will negatively affect your ranking. I haven't seen any direct evidence of it but any theory that involves Youtube's algorithm punishing those who take shortcuts is certainly feasible. The other problem is, if you do it to too much of an extent, your actual viewers will begin to notice that discrepancy too and think it's strange. The upside to sub4sub is that it's a way to break some smaller barriers early on and give your channel a slightly improved image. I know people won't admit it, and might not even realize it, but when they watch a video they notice that number next to the subscriber button and it does affect their perception of the value of the channel, even before watching 30 seconds of the video. When someone sees a guy with 30k subs he might be more inclined to give a video a chance, assuming that since he has so many subs, there must be something good about the content. The same can go for smaller numbers. 15 subs vs 150 is a sizable difference and can mean the difference between someone bailing after 20 seconds or sticking around to see if things get better.

I think what @XXLRay makes sense. If it's a shortcut you really want to take, use it to get to 100 or 150 and then stop (to give your channel a little less of a nooby feel). But remember that shortcuts usually have consequences...one of which might be what Youtuber mentioned. I've never done it personally, except for the benefit of the other guy occasionally.

The bottom line is that if you're making truly quality content you won't need to do sub4sub.
I agree, you just have to be patient, those sub4subs is not good.

Which makes me sad a little bit, that people only think about the subs and doesn´t care about other peoples content!
Yes, the sub4sub people don't even keep there word once you sub them they de-sub you, just really not cool to do to people. I do not do that to people. But I also let them know, I will give you a view but will not sub unless I really watch your videos. I do not want people to sub unless they like my videos, I am ok with a view. :)

I understand the fascination of getting a lot of subs quick, but I came to realize quickly that begging for subs or doing sub for sub really didn't mean anything. Assuming you actually care about your work in the videos, it's essentially putting down your work to say, "I'm pretty sure no one will watch my videos so I'll just beg for subs." I'm not going to lie, it's tolling on a person to keep putting out videos, only to be overlooked and not get any subs (I'm not even at 200 yet), but I also see YouTube as a marathon, not a sprint.

So in short lol, no, fight the urge to do it.

I've heard of people doing that but never understood it. What is to be gained by unsubbing someone after you sub4sub?

There's two ways it can work. Someone who subs with a secondary account for the sole purpose of saying "I have subbed", or someone who subs and then unsubs. I think only reason someone would unsub is because they don't want their email cluttered with those subscription newsletters when someone uploads a vid (in which they really don't care about). Remember, anyone who's looking for sub 4 sub is only thinking about their subs, not the other person's.

I'm going to say it depends on the person, as I've been told that in the beginning Alfie Deyes apparently used to do it and beg for subs. Now look at him!

When I started YouTube back in 2010, I was always asking for Sub4subs.

No, it doesn't work, 90% of the time.

Example:

I do gaming videos.

Someone I do sub4sub for, may not be into gaming/the games I play.

So they won't be likely to watch my videos.

Back