Does "lol" and other stuff harm video results?

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Does having things like "LOL" and other stuff in the video title and / or description help or harm the video results? Does you tube like this sort of sort hand writing in video titles / description? :p

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
i think it depends on your audience.. I hate all the 'stupid speak' and wont watch anything that doesn't have at least a 4th grade-level title, description, etc.. But, i'm an old man.. My 13 year old son, doesn't care/loves it..

Reactions: SeanFace101

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
yeah in terms of Reading the title (with eyes lol) I guess its depends on who is reading it :p But does YouTube like it? ... in terms of: Is a video is lol, etc.. in the title less like to show as often in YouTube Search? Does it harm the videos rankings? :p

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I havnt seen data about how Youtube Search treats poor grammar, but I know that based on what Google has stated, Google (web) Search likes proper grammar better than bad grammar.. OTOH, if people are typing in those terms in their searches, and you are using those terms, they are more likely to find you.
I'm sure you will get more answers, but just remember, unless someone has done real testing and has real data, or unless Google/Youtube has publicly stated how something works, whatever someone posts is just opinion/hopes/guessing..

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was wondering because I thought about it when I was uploading a funny video to YouTube and when putting in the title, etc.. I was wondering it it will help it or not by adding lol and that in the title :p Yeah ill read other's replies too, thanks :D

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think YouTube has mentioned to avoid using punctuation in your titles. I feel they would probably penalize for it. Yet people include their channel names in the title as well and I don't think those are punished usually.

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Does having things like "LOL" and other stuff in the video title and / or description help or harm the video results?
It can... but it's a technicality... A lot of the "ranking on YouTube" advice, with people saying, "My video ranks on the first page in a search"... getting your videos to "rank" when you type in the name of the video isn't hard. Make the filename of the video, the filename of the thumbnail and the first keyword term all the same as the title on your video page and you're set. But here's where the technicality comes in... based on their advice, you have to type that title exactly for it to appear on the first page.

As an example, on my last video, titled, "Dogs vs Cats: Which is better?!"

If I type in Dogs vs Cats... the video cannot be found in the 25 page result limit on YouTube.
If I type in Dogs vs Cats Which is better… the video pops up on the third results page.
If I type in Dogs vs Cats: Which is better?!... the video appears on the first page of results.

Then, I took out the punctuation making it simply, “Dogs vs Cats Which is Better”

Typing the title exactly… Dogs vs Cats Which is Better… the video never made it higher than the second results page. (needless to say, I changed it back)

A persons search history on YouTube also seems to affect the results they see. Everyone in this thread could type in the same search and I doubt we’d all get the exact same results in the exact same order.

From what I've seen, YouTube's algorithm balances video popularity with keyword relevance to the search term and a viewers search history, which allows some videos to rank higher despite lower view counts.

With that being said, adding "LOL" or the like to your video adds an additional term, which, if someone searches for your video without adding the "LOL" means they likely won't find it as quickly, if at all. However, there are people who search specifically for "LOL" and "LMAO" videos so they would likely find it, and find it faster. It all depends on what you think people will be searching for when you title your video.

AmuseYourBrain

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think that will only help, but only if your thumbnail is attractive and your content is good. And one more thing, lol is very popular keyword so i think it's good idea :)

Reactions: Nebojsa032

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yet people include their channel names in the title as well and I don't think those are punished usually.
I hope not as all my videos have my channel name in the title.

Nebojsa032

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, maybe it seems a bit unprofessional to write those kind of words in title or description. If someone makes up with something funny in the comments, sure, LOL haha, but i would not put it in title or description :)