Do you use a Script or no? & What do you do to "warm up"?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've just uploaded my 3rd vlog (where I chat about a subject, just me and a camera), but I noticed something... I start loosening up after I hit about 15 min of raw footage (most of which is me messing up and re-taking lines and otherwise being awkward). It's like I may benefit from taking my videos twice all the way through.

I also found that when I'm NOT using a script, that I do much better (like in my last min "Good thing that's happened to me lately" segment). I talk WAY faster, move in more natural ways, and end up being more silly. I'm worried about not having a script though... Now, admittedly, I over-write and I may need to switch from a detailed script-type thing, to a general outline, but that seems difficult for a beginner like myself who is used to blogging, not vlogging, and who wants her words to be deliberate and thought-out.

So my questions are:
  1. Do you use a script, an outline, or nothing?
  2. What do you do to "warm up" to the camera? (Is it a skill that will just naturally be there after doing enough videos? Should I be doing my videos twice? What's your advice?)​
=

[DOUBLEPOST=1507264512,1507264339][/DOUBLEPOST]To be clear... I don't need vocal warmups. (I know how to do those) I'm just wondering about how to get more comfortable with the camera, quicker, when I go to video myself.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey! Good topic and questions. I do not write a script for my videos, however I do sometimes create like an outline of the points I'll make and my transitions into different segments within the same video. The only time I really ever write out a script is if I am thinking of the video beforehand and I come up with a line that makes me laugh out loud. So I'll write down that specific line so I don't forget it. But other than that, I think scripts take away from the complete natural state of talking.

As for warming up, I don't really do anything. But I do tend to repeat things 2-3 times occasionally if I feel like I said it in an 'off' tone, or I stutter or say 'um' too much.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
This is something I've struggled with finding a permanent solution to, as well. Me, personally, I can convey more if I write a script beforehand rather than wing everything. When you're recording, you tend to forget things in the heat of the moment, and when you go back to edit, there are several things you wish you would have said, but didn't. If you write a script, you can squeeze a lot more in. However, this is like you said, at the expense of you seeming less natural. It really depends on what style of video you want to make. If you want something thought-provoking or are making an important video, I do recommend a script (or a list bulleted points). If you want something comedic and silly, your best bet is to go natural, unless you know exactly how you want your skit to play out (then I recommend a script to stay on track.)

And then there are other factors to keep in consideration. If you have anxiety when it comes to public speaking and don't want that to show, you really are better off using a script. If you don't have anxiety but just aren't a good speaker, then a script would also make that easier. I know, I, personally, can be pretty awkward when I go completely natural (no bulleted list, no script, nothing.) But what I do is just make that part of the video. Make fun of myself. If I mispronounce a word, I'll try to repeat it, and if I mispronounce my repeat of the word, I'll put a clip of a video that tells you how to pronounce the word as a meme (Emma Saying is a good go to).

As for warming up to the camera, it is definitely something you get used to. I've made over 100 videos and I'm definitely more comfortable in front of it now than when I started. But there is no shame in recording a video twice. If you mess up quite a bit the first recording, definitely consider retaking different shots. When I'm doing my comedy stuff and I see a joke doesn't land, I'll just delete the clip and do it over again. But don't be afraid to use existing clips, either. If you say a lot of 'ums' or 'uhs' between lines, you can just trim them out and it'll seem natural. I know jump-cuts seem a little weird when you edit, but playing it back, it's completely normal. Less is more when it comes to YouTube videos. Think about retention span, as well. Every second you're saying "um" is a second for your viewer to consider clicking out of the video.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Personally I'm a lot better without a script. I do used bullet points, just to remember what to tell, but I don;t write out anything. Because with a written script, I begin to use my reading voice, instead of really telling the info.

For warm up, I just put up some music and dance around a bit, while setting up my camera and such. Then I start with messing up my intro about 5 times xD That always loosens me up :)

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I think the answer really varies per person. Sometimes I'll even get nervous about being in front of the camera granted I've been making videos for a long time so one would think I'd be more used to it. But sometimes I just need to talk myself into it.

1. Scripted videos are easier for me to do cause I can memorize my outline and go from there and it feels really natural.
2. Unscripted videos are harder cause I tend to rant and ramble. Thankfully for editing I can cut out a lot of the fat. But sometimes I'll make an outline to follow just in case.

For warming up I'll probably just begin recording and if I realize I mess up really bad I'll start over. After that I'm already comfortable and in the zone. =] But I know this will be different for everybody. An acquaintance of mine talks to himself in the mirror before recording because then he feels like he's talking to an audience like a News Reporter and is able to "visualize" them standing behind the camera. But we all warm up differently I suppose.

Reactions: Russ

veronica33067

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was just trying about this yesterday. I'm thinking about creating a Spanish Learning channel. Beginning with the basics, of course. So, I was reinacting the conversation to myself. I was forgetting the words and losing my train of thought. Mainly, that's because I didn't have the dialogue down completely. I think once you know what you are going to talk about that will help with the delivery. However, as I was pretending to film myself reinacting different takes, I thought to myself, why don't I just do take after take until I feel comfortable with the dialogue. At that point, anything that doesn't fit I can just cut out during post.

"Warming up": I'm very camera shy. I've taken a few acting classes so I've learned a lot about breathing techniques. You can stretch out your arms, slowly raise them above your head as you inhale. Then slowly bring them down as you exhale. I'm sure overtime as you continue to film yourself you will gradually become comfortable. It's already working for me. Believe me, I'm not good in front of the camera. However, as an actress, as I film myself doing monologues I feel myself becoming more comfortable being in front of the camera.

Hope things workout! ;)

I've just uploaded my 3rd vlog (where I chat about a subject, just me and a camera), but I noticed something... I start loosening up after I hit about 15 min of raw footage (most of which is me messing up and re-taking lines and otherwise being awkward). It's like I may benefit from taking my videos twice all the way through.

I also found that when I'm NOT using a script, that I do much better (like in my last min "Good thing that's happened to me lately" segment). I talk WAY faster, move in more natural ways, and end up being more silly. I'm worried about not having a script though... Now, admittedly, I over-write and I may need to switch from a detailed script-type thing, to a general outline, but that seems difficult for a beginner like myself who is used to blogging, not vlogging, and who wants her words to be deliberate and thought-out.

So my questions are:
  1. Do you use a script, an outline, or nothing?
  2. What do you do to "warm up" to the camera? (Is it a skill that will just naturally be there after doing enough videos? Should I be doing my videos twice? What's your advice?)​
=

[DOUBLEPOST=1507264512,1507264339][/DOUBLEPOST]To be clear... I don't need vocal warmups. (I know how to do those) I'm just wondering about how to get more comfortable with the camera, quicker, when I go to video myself.

Last edited:

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have an outline of what I need to cover, but I don't script the words, I'm OK with coming up with what I want to say on the spot, it might take a couple of takes before I am happy with what I have recorded. As for warming up, I don't do anything.

But after a while I've realised that even if I am in a great mood, it doesn't show on camera (or photos) so I have to purposefully remember to smile and be enthusiastic to be the real me.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I write my reviews in script form and then I record them in my car as its the closes thing I have to sound proofing. I find I work better with a script than without as I tend to "Umm and ahh" a lot without and also I run the risk of going off topic and never getting back to my original point...that being said; I do adlib chunks of my scripts occasionally when i've written something that doesnt quite scan right when spoken.

As for warming up, well; I dont use a camera to film myself in my videos but I do make sure to keep a couple of bottles of cold water on hand to keep my voice in check and I try and do a few vocal warm ups (Tongue twisters, illiteration stuff like that) to help loosen me up a bit so I dont get tongue tied while Im reading through :)

Katt Strike

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Personally, I like to use both :D But it depends on what it's for. I think that having an outline can be useful for vlogs because I'm super forgetful, and it can help keep me on track, even if it's just bullet points of topics to cover.

That being said, I'm now pretty rehearsed in front of the camera from streaming/filming a lot, so it comes naturally to me. I tend to have a coffee, set up my lighting and go for it! Although, I just winged my last video, and I found that there was a lot of waffling to cut out. Often I'll film about 3-4 times and then go with the best takes.

I used to make videos for a company (game play tutorials actually lol), and for that, I would bang out a full script and record the audio, then film. I found it a lot easier to work that way :) - but it had to be structured (especially as I was paid).