Do you think gaming channels will ever be dethroned?

Promice

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Pewdiepie is the biggest YouTuber by millions of subscribers, but still it brings to my head do you think anybody will ever be able to overtake Pewdiepie. The #1 spot on YouTube has been used up by several different genres or types of videos fro vlogs at one time to channels like RayWilliamJhonson and Smosh at another, but with the rising fame of celebrity gamers on YouTube like Pewdiepie, Markiplier, and Vanoss among many others, do you think he, and gaming videos as a whole, will always be #1?

TalkFandomToMe

The Cake Is a Lie!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'd say not the ones that are already popular for a good while but eventually people have to get tired. It'll end up like RWJ with =3 and it'll get old eventually, even if it used to be super popular.

Gaming is so over saturated now that it'll be really hard for small gaming channels to grow, and once the larger channels get dethroned it'll basically be too late because that means the age of gaming is over.

TL;DR Probably. Though will they stay on the top for a good while longer? Yeah.

projectorgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me gaming wins it. I think the generation of gamer's is growing. I remember being in junior high back in like 98ish, and my older sisters BF was making fun of me for "still" being into "games". They were in high school at the time. The timeframe for being a gamer is gone. I'm 30 now and I still play video games constantly, as do many of my HS friends. With VR imminent gaming is only going to get bigger. I personally have never understood why Vlogs are such a big deal. It's basically a person talking about their day. I barely have enough time to live my life, much less listen to people video recording their's. I guess it just depends on what your in to. Is gaming going down on youtube? I highly doubt it happens until time travel, or something else crazy happens in the future. 20 years ago, people played video games as a kid, and then outgrew it as adults just like they outgrew action figures. That is not true today. That is why you see guys that are 30 or 40 or 50 doing unboxing video's of the latest ultra scale action figures, and game walkthroughs. Gaming honestly is just not going away. If you hit your local walmart, you will find just as many adults shopping in the toy aisle for themselves as you will kids looking for a toy. On another note, I don't know why so many people admire pew. I had honestly never heard of him until I joined this forum. I respect him because of what he has built, and he obviously brought something to the people that he enjoyed, but I personally can not stand to watch his videos. I checked out one of his new series on YTRed, and the acting is just terrible. It's like watching a straight to DVD movie that skips the theater. I'm sure he will still get paid millions monthly but his new acting job just isn't it. For me at least. It is of my oppinion a lot of the people that do actually make it big on youtube just lose whatever they had that made them special.

Last edited:
Reactions: QueenFreeloader

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Pewdiepie is the biggest YouTuber by millions of subscribers, but still it brings to my head do you think anybody will ever be able to overtake Pewdiepie. The #1 spot on YouTube has been used up by several different genres or types of videos fro vlogs at one time to channels like RayWilliamJhonson and Smosh at another, but with the rising fame of celebrity gamers on YouTube like Pewdiepie, Markiplier, and Vanoss among many others, do you think he, and gaming videos as a whole, will always be #1?
I could be #1 just as any of you can. Just get off your a** and try. Not everyone is a natural, but trying is a good step... Maybe the best step...

LeGenDaryPuLse

Rhythm Savage
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I don't think it will be going away for a long time. Gaming Channels dominate most of youtube

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Kids/family content regularly comprise 30% or more of the top 100 channels on YouTube in terms of views. Much of the rest is music channels. So I don't think gaming is necessarily even the top genre.

Reactions: xingcat

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Most likely it won't unless youtube's demograph changes. Though you can do a lot in Vlogs, DIY, and so forth most of the popular gaming youtubers are story spinners that make the rest of their audience feel like they are there with them. While playing a game it's easier to spin a tale, with a Vlog or other projects you kind of have to stay on topic. So it makes it a bit rough to do something as freely as a gaming channel.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think the only reason PewDiePie is still so big is that he evolves with the current times, he started with let's plays of horror games and started moving forward from there changing his content through the years. It will be very hard for a YouTuber to overtake him unless he stops evolving. I can see it happening to him though to him though since I am very bored of his content now and his commentaries are pretty identical in his videos now. I can easily see him moving to vlogs though since he has done those before and just looking at this he has a lot of options available to him which is why he has so many fans. His content doesn't always focus on Let's plays any more since he has a lot of variety. There are some channels that I've been watching for 5 years now like Uberhaxornova and I never get bored of his content.

Reactions: Promice

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I don't think that anybody can overtake Pewdiepie soon until he becomes old or give up. YouTube is full of gaming content, so I think GAMING will rule on YouTube forever :)

Promice

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks to everybody who has replied so far, this thread has been really interesting for me and I have seen some really interesting opinions. By the way check out my Google+ community (Promice's Subs and Buddies) if you want to keep discussing things like this among others and just get to know me and my community better, Thank you!