Do You Monetize EVERY video

GooberVlogs

Happy New Year
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Do you guys monetize every single video you upload... I have a few comedy sketches that I did but have not uploaded yet because sometimes the free music just don't cut it.....I will have a song in mind and think to myself.. that would be the perfect theme to a sketch.. but you know copyrights =( So Itry to find a replacement but sometimes it don't workout... so I just leave it

So sometimes I don't even upload the sketch.. If you go to the Free music library in youtube and click on Music Policies you can type in a song and it will usually say this

......If you use this song
Playback:::Viewable worldwide

Monetization::: You can't monetize your video

Copyright owners can change their policies or take action on your video that differs from what's described.

Have you ever got a copyright issue.. Has anyone had their video taken down recently or got a strike because the owner or something didn't like it.. even though you are not getting paid from it...

Should I just upload them without monetizing them??? or should I keep looking for a free song but like I said before it's REAL hard to change when you have the perfect idea and song to go with it..

Reactions: sadiemarie88

sadiemarie88

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do on my current Youtube channel. I think I had one video where you could hear some music that I wasn't allowed to monetize, but as long as I am free to I do. I also have a dance channel. On that one I would often times be dancing to copyrighted music so I wasn't able to monetize those videos. Now I try to find music or anything that isn't copyrighted so that I am able to monetize it.

I would look for a free song if I was you. I hadn't gotten any copyright strikes but was notified on my dance channel about my content matching a third party music so I couldn't monetize it. I know Youtube editor online offers some free songs to choose from. Far from the best but maybe that might be an option for you as well.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You should take a look at the copyright section, someone has an issue with strikes & claims probably every week. A lot of good debates on there and informational stickies. And I suggest finding some Royalty free/copyright friendly music to use. Yes, you may have a song in mind but if you want to avoid a content ID claim or third party match I'd suggest finding some royalty free music websites, It's really hard to argue a case when you've used copyright music/content that does not belong to you without permission. Most of the time It's ok to just not monetize and let the music company generate revenue from the video but if you read what YouTube Content ID Guideline says:
"Sometimes, copyright owners may block your video, which means people won’t be able to watch it. They can decide to block your video worldwide or just in certain countries. If your video is blocked worldwide, your account standing may be affected, which means that you’ll lose access to some YouTube features. Please keep in mind that deleting videos that affect your account standing won’t restore your good standing."
So they can actually block your video which is why I just avoid it, generally tends not to happen but they have the power to do so on YouTube. There are a lot of different Royalty websites that have a lot of genres and collections for you to swift through, just make sure you read their FAQ (Every Royalty website has one) so you know how to credit them in your video. I'd also avoid letting the third party generate revenue from your video because you used a song. This is because if you want to join a small network later down the line a lot of them don't let you join if you have third party content match (letting the music companies generate revenue from your video) because the network will want the revenue share between you and them to be clear so they don't lose revenue from you. Also manual claims as you mention
"Has anyone had their video taken down recently or got a strike because the owner or something didn't like it" - tends not to happen because there are thousands of videos out there just re uploading songs so they can't go around manually claiming every one who they don't believe falls under fair use but it is possible especially if your popular they may happen to find your channel a lot easier. I'd also suggest reading YouTube's FAQ on fair use which is very important you are aware of so you know what's green to be using on YouTube. Just be aware that if you want to not profit/not monetize your video that doesn't automatically make it fair to use (Read Myth 3 of the youtube faq on fair use).

Last edited:
Reactions: dreambridgelists

dreambridgelists

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
When it comes to making money on youtube, it only makes sense to monetize every video you currently have uploaded. The more opportunities you have at increasing your chances at reaching your $100 quota means higher chances at getting paid

As of right now only one of my videos on my channel is not monetized due to copyright claims which i can't fight because it was before i educated myself on fair use and what i could do within the law. But if i had to give any advice, create within fair use and fight to monetize ever video it will only benefit you in the future.

GooberVlogs

Happy New Year
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You should take a look at the someone has an issue with strikes & claims probably every week. A lot of good debates on there and informational stickies. And I suggest finding some Royalty free/copyright friendly music to use. Yes, you may have a song in mind but if you want to avoid a content ID claim or third party match I'd suggest finding some royalty free music websites, It's really hard to argue a case when you've used copyright music/content that does not belong to you without permission. Most of the time It's ok to just not monetize and let the music company generate revenue from the video but if you read what says:
"Sometimes, copyright owners may block your video, which means people won’t be able to watch it. They can decide to block your video worldwide or just in certain countries. If your video is blocked worldwide, your account standing may be affected, which means that you’ll lose access to some YouTube features. Please keep in mind that deleting videos that affect your account standing won’t restore your good standing."
So they can actually block your video which is why I just avoid it, generally tends not to happen but they have the power to do so on YouTube. There are a lot of different Royalty websites that have a lot of genres and collections for you to swift through, just make sure you read their FAQ (Every Royalty website has one) so you know how to credit them in your video. I'd also avoid letting the third party generate revenue from your video because you used a song. This is because if you want to join a small network later down the line a lot of them don't let you join if you have third party content match (letting the music companies generate revenue from your video) because the network will want the revenue share between you and them to be clear so they don't lose revenue from you. Also manual claims as you mention
"Has anyone had their video taken down recently or got a strike because the owner or something didn't like it" - tends not to happen because there are thousands of videos out there just re uploading songs so they can't go around manually claiming every one who they don't believe falls under fair use but it is possible especially if your popular they may happen to find your channel a lot easier. I'd also suggest reading on fair use which is very important you are aware of so you know what's green to be using on YouTube. Just be aware that if you want to not profit/not monetize your video that doesn't automatically make it fair to use (Read Myth 3 of the youtube faq on fair use).
Thanks for the info... I guess I will have to keep looking for a free song that will work for the videos

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the info... I guess I will have to keep looking for a free song that will work for the videos
No problem and bear in mind a lot of YouTubers who do sketches and Vlogs use royalty free music, I search for a lot of copyright free music and you come across a lot of music that YouTubers use so I think there are royalty free music that are out there for every genre it's just hard finding them. I myself love hip hop and I found a hip hop artist that offers royalty free music and it sounds really good as my background music so I end up using a lot of his work and crediting him in my description. Similar to my gaming channel I found a website called NCS where a lot of big YouTube gamers get their copyright free electronic music from. It is a pain but I focus on my content quality and commentary quality first and then find music that goes well in the background. My first steps are never to find music that is going to work with the video, that is usually the last steps. It is best to learn as much about fair use, content id, claims/strikes etc as much as you can just because it is becoming important to know about these things for your channel.

Reactions: GooberVlogs

HotAsia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
yes I only use my own original video content so I monetize them all if there is an issue with music been copyright its easy enough to swap songs :dance:

Michael Lunatic

Cosplay Videos|Comedy|Unboxings
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Other
Our music Box by Jay Man is the one stop place I get the majority of my background music. Really nice guy and I'm sure there is a tune for everyone on there if you have a good look.
Something's I monetize. When I know there is a huge chart topping song in the background then I'll have to not monetize it. Which is a shame, but it's the world we live in now and besides I've not really made any money from YouTube yet so I'm just doing it for kicks and an awesome hobby right now!

Reactions: GooberVlogs

Kirgle

"taking a swipe at everything"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just left the upload setting on auto.
I generally dont use music but if I do I use some of the free providers from around the net.

Even if you dont 'monetize' your video youtube is still makeing money off you by attracting people to its platform so you may as well try get a cut for doing the actual work of creating the content no matter how small.

Reactions: HotAsia

GooberVlogs

Happy New Year
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Our music Box by Jay Man is the one stop place I get the majority of my background music. Really nice guy and I'm sure there is a tune for everyone on there if you have a good look.
Something's I monetize. When I know there is a huge chart topping song in the background then I'll have to not monetize it. Which is a shame, but it's the world we live in now and besides I've not really made any money from YouTube yet so I'm just doing it for kicks and an awesome hobby right now!
Nice!!!! I found the number 1 place where the big YouTubers get some of their free music today.. it's called incompetech dot com... they have some pretty good songs.. only thing is all the TOP YouTubers use it so a lot of the songs you might have heard already on other videos... I usually like to scroll to the bottom or middle first when I am trying to find a song on a free site :biggrin:

Reactions: Shehzad