Do you get SUBS by SUBBING to others?

Ayden TravelsandToys

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Is it customary for YouTubers to sub to others to get subs back in the initial phase of devolopment and growth?

MoreToysReview

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
For us, it really depends if their channels are related to ours since we don't want to have non-kids videos show on our activity tab. What does other people think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It doesn't work. You just have to make good videos and let it be known. If you sub people you'll be sub for subbing in the end and it goes nowhere.

For me I don't sub anyone that's not a personal friend and I think that gives the impression of being bigger and important because you're sub list comes off a wall that only lucky few can get in and that if someone follows you it could be because they want in, and you aren't letting them

Reactions: ProfessionalRik

ProfessionalRik

Gaming Culture's Icon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I subscribe to two main kinds of channels; channels that interest me because I live vicariously through other people. (e.g. travels, vlogs, reviews, etc.) and channels that have a creator I'm interested in. I don't consider it necessary for them to sub back, as there is a good chance that they're not interested in gaming channels.

I don't see anything as 'customary' on the internet. There's leaders who do what they want, whether it be sub4sub or not, and there are followers who do what everyone else does.

BUT THEORETICALLY, if you subbed to channels like yours, you got noticed in comments, they saw your content, liked it and subbed back, yeah. But those are long odds, small probabilities.

Basically, I use MY subs like my cable box: I only want channels I'll watch. I expect people to do the same to me.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I got more chance by commenting on other people's videos. Of course, not the "Check me out" kind of comment but rather something that made sense in the video's context, it's not unusual they subscribed to me. Of course it's still a bet, I don't see much activity from them, but sadly that's life.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
What you're describing is sub4sub and all it will do is increase the sub count number on the screen, but not with people who will watch your videos. So basically it is lying to oneself that the channel is growing.

There have been loads of trainwreck stories of YTtalk members doing sub4sub, first of all announcing they had found a new innovative way of doing it and then 2 months later coming back to the forum to complain about inactive subs, 2 second retention rate, spammers and haters on their channel. Conclusion: their channel was ruined.

(moved the thread to strategy)

Ayden TravelsandToys

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
It doesn't work. You just have to make good videos and let it be known. If you sub people you'll be sub for subbing in the end and it goes nowhere.

For me I don't sub anyone that's not a personal friend and I think that gives the impression of being bigger and important because you're sub list comes off a wall that only lucky few can get in and that if someone follows you it could be because they want in, and you aren't letting them
Great. Thank you for your input. Sounds like subbing others for the purpose of subbing back might not be worth it in the end.[DOUBLEPOST=1473734047,1473733781][/DOUBLEPOST]
What you're describing is sub4sub and all it will do is increase the sub count number on the screen, but not with people who will watch your videos. So basically it is lying to oneself that the channel is growing.

There have been loads of trainwreck stories of YTtalk members doing sub4sub, first of all announcing they had found a new innovative way of doing it and then 2 months later coming back to the forum to complain about inactive subs, 2 second retention rate, spammers and haters on their channel. Conclusion: their channel was ruined.

(moved the thread to strategy)
Wow. How unpleasant for that channel. Sounds like an awful experience.
I guess I better find out how one of the channels got 17K+ subs their first month. Could it be just chatting on YTtalk? Lol[DOUBLEPOST=1473734082][/DOUBLEPOST]
You may get subs but you don't grow an audience this way. So sub4sub doesn't transition into views.
Good point. Thank you.[DOUBLEPOST=1473734157][/DOUBLEPOST]
I got more chance by commenting on other people's videos. Of course, not the "Check me out" kind of comment but rather something that made sense in the video's context, it's not unusual they subscribed to me. Of course it's still a bet, I don't see much activity from them, but sadly that's life.
I think I will be checking this route out. Thanks for your input. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1473734288][/DOUBLEPOST]
I subscribe to two main kinds of channels; channels that interest me because I live vicariously through other people. (e.g. travels, vlogs, reviews, etc.) and channels that have a creator I'm interested in. I don't consider it necessary for them to sub back, as there is a good chance that they're not interested in gaming channels.

I don't see anything as 'customary' on the internet. There's leaders who do what they want, whether it be sub4sub or not, and there are followers who do what everyone else does.

BUT THEORETICALLY, if you subbed to channels like yours, you got noticed in comments, they saw your content, liked it and subbed back, yeah. But those are long odds, small probabilities.

Basically, I use MY subs like my cable box: I only want channels I'll watch. I expect people to do the same to me.
Thanks for your response. Definitely something to consider. Content, strategies, networking, and luck are the secrets then. Lol

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
sub4sub never works -- it inflates your channel's subscriber number and makes your channel appear to have content that your subscribers aren't interested in watching. Subscribers and view numbers are both "vanity statistics," and I don't think they matter very much (aside from a high subscriber to view ratio being a red flag). One of the statistics that matters a lot for YouTube's algorithm is "watchtime" -- which is not on public display. ^^

Reactions: Crown