Do you believe in the YouTube algorithm?

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I listened to Tim Schmoyer's podcast with Matt Geiler recently where they discussed the algorithm. I'm wondering if you guys believe it? I feel like I'm being affected by it. At least one part they discussed where poorly performing videos affect the ones that come after. It certainly makes sense that YouTube would do that, but it makes it hard to figure out what you can do to combat the negative effects that come from a poorly performing video or two.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I read your other post and no offense man but u havnt even gotten warmed up to be worrying about the algorithm. I hear alot of ppl saying views are down lately and the reason is school holidays are over and so are the kids YouTube binging. Yes the algorithm works and I believe in it but you really need to have a decent library of vids before worrying about it too much.

Reactions: AM2PM

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I read your other post and no offense man but u havnt even gotten warmed up to be worrying about the algorithm. I hear alot of ppl saying views are down lately and the reason is school holidays are over and so are the kids YouTube binging. Yes the algorithm works and I believe in it but you really need to have a decent library of vids before worrying about it too much.
Thanks. I know I don't have many videos, but I can still see a trend. I'm not overly worried about it, but I found it interesting. Just need to keep on generating content that I feel is worthy.

Thanks again.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thanks. I know I don't have many videos, but I can still see a trend. I'm not overly worried about it, but I found it interesting. Just need to keep on generating content that I feel is worthy.

Thanks again.
The algorithm... To me, I kind of believe a meme I saw a while back stating "algorithm" is a word used by engineers when they either can't or don't want to explain how something works to somebody else. So, I don't really think there is a set "algorithm" that works 100% of the time for everything on YouTube. For one, I think the algorithm people think of mainly affects how you appear in search results and in "recommended videos", and I have no idea how this works. I have a couple videos where if you type in just the basic term "CIWS", my videos appear above videos that have millions of more views than mine. To me it seems like the higher viewed videos would appear, but mine show up. Also, I have one video that I don't even think is very good that is my most viewed video daily. This only happened when for some reason it started being suggested on a few other popular videos one day. It won't be long before that is my highest viewed video and honestly I don't even think it's very good. I have no idea what to make of that, it seems to follow no logical flow to me.

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I believe that it makes YouTube sustainable. It favours big channels because of the watch time they get from their loyal audience at the cost of less variety. Nevertheless I couldn't think of something that would actually work better for keeping people on the platform.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So, how do you make it work for you? Did you research the tags before making the video? Any suggestions?
Yes, I research tags all the time. It's important to see what types of topics are trending or has a lot of search traffic. These are my target content. At times, I will make a video that's much more niche just because I felt like making it, but the best way for me to drive more eyeballs to my video is to touch on highly searched topics. Fortunately for me, my subscribers come back at a very high rate. This helps drive engagement on my videos (likes, comments, and shares), which help further in driving me up the rankings.

Reactions: AM2PM

SteveP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I listened to Tim Schmoyer's podcast with Matt Geiler recently where they discussed the algorithm. I'm wondering if you guys believe it? I feel like I'm being affected by it. At least one part they discussed where poorly performing videos affect the ones that come after. It certainly makes sense that YouTube would do that, but it makes it hard to figure out what you can do to combat the negative effects that come from a poorly performing video or two.

What do you guys think?
Do you have a link to this podcast?

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
https://videocreators.com/reverse-engineering-the-youtube-algorithm-vc-ep-12/[DOUBLEPOST=1473794533,1473794327][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes, I research tags all the time. It's important to see what types of topics are trending or has a lot of search traffic. These are my target content. At times, I will make a video that's much more niche just because I felt like making it, but the best way for me to drive more eyeballs to my video is to touch on highly searched topics. Fortunately for me, my subscribers come back at a very high rate. This helps drive engagement on my videos (likes, comments, and shares), which help further in driving me up the rankings.
That is great. I've been using TubeBuddy to get better tags. We are trying to make interesting videos that give us the ability to compete against one another, so it's harder to get into those niches. I took your advice from before and tried to make the latest video better in terms of sound and light. I appreciate your input.