Do dislikes count against you in any way?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I got a few dislikes on some of my videos and I'm wondering, how does this affect my channel if at all? Does getting dislikes give you a lower overall rating or put you lower on youtube's search ranking, or does it just count as "interaction" on the channel?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I have never seen anything documented from Youtube on whether or not they count for you or against you, but this much we know - Youtube never does anything that can be 'gamed' in your favor or against your competitors, so by that logic, they probably don't count against you.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In my experiance - My videos with the most dislikes are also my most viewed videos.
My most viewd video (Over 9m views) has 20k likes and 7k dislikes. Thats quite a bad ratio as most of my vids are 95% like ratio. (But are also just in the few thousands of views)
So dont worry about dislikes - treat all types of interation as positive.

danyatm

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
This is good for PR. When I started it I was a bit shocked. But now I know for sure that it's not bad and it helps a lot. Video is not a bill that everyone likes. This shows the reaction of viewers, even a bad reaction will be counted. Haters :) .. dislikes:) ... as many as you like. :) YouTube counts views. Go to your goal and do not stop

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I specifically asked this at the last YouTube Creator Day I went to, and the reps there said that likes and dislikes are pretty much there only for viewers to express their opinions about the video in a quick and text-free way. They don't affect the algorithm other than being counted as having someone interact with your video. Mostly, it's a gauge for other viewers to see how many people reacted positively and negatively to a video.

Jutta

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I specifically asked this at the last YouTube Creator Day I went to, and the reps there said that likes and dislikes are pretty much there only for viewers to express their opinions about the video in a quick and text-free way. They don't affect the algorithm other than being counted as having someone interact with your video. Mostly, it's a gauge for other viewers to see how many people reacted positively and negatively to a video.
Thanks, that's interesting news!

Reactions: xingcat

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Nowadays whenever I see a badly-produced video, I'd just abandon it because disliking it would somewhat rank it "higher".

I've seen that many times on the first page results.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In addition to what others have said here, dislikes let the viewer know if a video is misleading or click-baity. But by then you've already clicked on it!