Do daily uploads affect possible interaction and attention for each video?

NathanielGE

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey guys so this was something I was thinking about this morning and then @BitsOfBen commented this in the thread about 'Is the first 24 hours the most important'.

This was his post.

"I always get the best response in the first day but I still get plenty of likes and comments the days after. Some might disagree with me when I say this but I believe a videos performance can also depend on how frequent you upload videos. I mainly upload once a week and because of the kind of videos I do I really can't be more frequent than that. When I upload my latest video, I like the space between the uploads so the new video has time for response and to get as many interactions as possible, it also gives time for people to check it out before my next upload. I've noticed some people who upload daily lose potential views and interactions because a subscriber who watches my content on a regular basis may feel they are overwhelmed they have so much to watch and will only pick certain videos to interact with. Uploading weekly for me keeps it simple because when the subscriber checks back whenever they do, they just have the one video to check watch that week thus giving the video maximum potential to get more interactions. I hope this makes sense."

I always kind of thought this may be the case as well. I do watch Casey Neistats who uploads daily and that seems to have been the things that keeps his momentum on YouTube. Maybe for smaller YouTubers it can have a negative affect?

Just wondered about peoples thoughts on this. Im aiming to start uploading a lot more regularly. Every other day maybe.. or just twice a week.

There is a 'small youtuber' I know who was posting videos almost everyday and she has grown from around 120 subs to around 700 in a couple of months.

GamingRack

GamingRack
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think its all dependant on what type of content you do, for me daily uploads are ideal since no two videos are they same and the theme is always changing, for vloggers uploading everyday and having something interesting/funny to talk about everyday is alot more difficult and I imagine you run out of ideas fast. I disagree with saying people would be overwhelmed though like for example if you just came across a new youtuber and you loved the first video you saw they made would'nt you start watching all their previous videos? even if theres like 500 you're still going to go through a lot of them and watch any new ones that are released too although to keep that viewer retention your content has to be good people will leave if you get boring or repetitive.

Last edited:

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's dependent upon a lot of things. Your type of content (if you're vlogging, you may have viewers who expect a daily upload, if you're doing movie reviews or short films, they're not going to expect that, and the quality will suffer), your ability to make good content in a short time frame, and the type of viewership you attract. Lots of people find it difficult to keep up with daily uploads from channels (if my subscription list was full of daily updaters, I'd give up on it immediately), but some demand it.

As with most things on YouTube, you have to find out what's best for you and work with that. If you think you can experiment with daily uploads to see how they affect your stats, give it a try! I find 3 uploads a week almost overwhelming, but worthwhile.

Reactions: NathanielGE

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I think youtube looks less at frequency and looks more at your upload date. Theyre probably valuing more recent videos in preference and look at videos recent to today. And i think youtubers think they need to upload frequently because there is a coincidence between uploading frequently and uploading recently. If you upload frequently then youll have a recent video. And if you dont upload frequently then youre channel or video can fall behind someone else who uploaded more recently. And like the others have mentioned this is only one of the many variables they would look at.

Anyways its just a hunch theyre looking at the date. Technically thats probably the easiest way to code it. To search for channels or videos with more recent date, instead of calculating the rate of uploads. Would require fewer calculations so would be more efficient use of computing power for similar yet more relevant results. In my opinion freshness is more relevant.

Aside from that, you are encouraged to have an upload schedule for your subscribers so they know to repeatedly come back to your channe

Reactions: NathanielGE
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I'm a gaming channel sort of should I space out my content and yes my content is not the best thing in the world right now but the more I do the better I get

NeilyMusic

NeilyMusic
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It's definitely dependent on the content. But I do mostly agree. Uploading everyday with brand new content can be overwhelming for viewers and distract their attention. Also, especially in the earlier stages, I would say that you should experiment with different increments of time before posting new videos and through checking your analytics you can start to find the optimal time increment to wait before posting (ie. seeing when watch time and views descend more drastically).

TalkFandomToMe

The Cake Is a Lie!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I personally wouldn't watch someone who uploads daily because it seems a bit too excessive to me (but that's just my opinion). Now, I get if vloggers wanna upload everyday but it might get boring really fast and soon their titles are gonna look like "Just got a cheeseburger from BURGER KING!!"

For channels other than vlogging, it's really repetitive and gets old fast. So I'd say that if you're gonna try to upload a bunch, at least just do it every other day.

Loery Potpie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Animator
Frequency of uploads definitly affect your ranking in youtube. Also the more videos you have, the more your subscribers will probably watch and then you get more watch time which is the most important factor in youtube ranking. Nevertheless, you should not bombard your channel with videos just for the sake of affecting the youtube algorithm. As said above, it depends on the content.

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good question and some very sound insight by previous posters.

Without sounding repetitive, I do agree that it comes down to the type of content. Content that requires more editing and production value will require more time to produce, hence it wouldn't even be possible to upload daily.

I will say that when starting a Youtube channel, the last thing you should be worrying about is your upload schedule. This isn't to say that it's completely irrelevant. But when you're starting out new, you should be mainly focusing on putting out good content. And if daily uploads doesn't seem to negatively affect the quality of your videos and you're happy with what you're making, more power to you.

Personally on average, I upload every 3 days or so. Sometimes I may upload 3 days in a row (rare but it has occurred). 3 days to me at least works for me. It allows my subs to enjoy content while having some breathing room before my next upload. Having subs wanting just a little more can be a good thing.

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes, for really big channels the rules are slightly different. The algorithm is set up to promote them much more than other channels so they can afford easily daily uploads. With small channels it seems that there is a kind of saturation - if you upload every day the percentage of subscribers getting notification of the new upload decreases so you get lees views per new video. If you make several days pause (or 4-5 days) you'll get again more views.
At least this are my personal observations.
I always prefer to leave at least 2-3 full days between movies (even a week is OK sometimes).