Copying Someone's Style?

Adelle

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
How do you feel about people who you think are copying someone else's style?
Now I've seen people who simply remind me of other people. However, not everyone is the same. They all seem to have some quality that differentiates them from other people.

BUT sometimes I see people who just completely copy other people. For example, some people may edit their videos the same way. But when it comes to sound effects to transition, they may be different.
But I've seen times when people use even the same sound effects that a person before them has done! Or try to give off the same impression of humor!

I don't know if it's just me judging someone way too hard or if what I see is really going on.

What do you think about people who you find similar? Do you automatically think they copy someone else?

WizJager

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you really think about it. everyone copy everyone. if you be ur self then trying to be someone you not then will end up in a problem. Maybe youtuber use same songs, way how they edit, but they all different personality. you will never see next pewdipie.

Adelle

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
It's true that everyone has a different personality, but I see a lot of people who try to mimic personalities and everything that they do!
I suppose it's okay to feel inspired by them, but I don't think it's right...

WizJager

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i understand, but maybe copycat does better then the real person.

Adelle

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
I haven't looked at it that way XD
A copycat doing better than the original? That would be something!

DuncanT

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, I think everyone is copying everyone. I guess that us smaller YouTubers just watch a lot of bigger channels so we might even do things they do, but we don't really notice it or whatever. I don't know what I'm saying, but I think it's almost impossible to be TRULY 100% original in your content.

dreambridgelists

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
"There is no such thing as an original thought"
But how you change and adapt upon that thought is what matters, as long as you bring something new and fresh to the idea thats all that matters.

Reactions: Adelle

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
sometimes i can see people who are trying to copy, when people are inspired thy take the idea, and make it their own. Not take the idea, and slap their own logo on it.

got this recently:
rfmusic.jpg
hadn't heard of IHE before this, but using royalty free music that a big youtuber has used is no good XD that's his now

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've moved your thread to the strat / technique forum. :)

I think it's ok to be influenced by others and to take ideas and inspiration from others but blatant copying others is never a good idea IMHO.

bb109

Reaction score
I haven't looked at it that way XD
A copycat doing better than the original? That would be something!
Kim Kardashian was able to do it better than Paris Hilton so it can be done. :eek: