ContentID via MCN - PLEASE HELP!

GrumpyKitten

Reaction score
Hey guys, I registered on this forum a long time ago, but this is my first post, so please excuse me if I missed the appropriate place to post this!

Getting right to it. I uploaded a video 6 years ago, that has been very viral throughout the last few years. I have then partnered up with a MCN about 4 years ago. Since we realized that recently the video on my actual channel is only making a few dollars a month, whilst copies of this same video are making tons more, my MCN advised me to run ContentID on this video. And so we did. I was baffled to see there are hundreds of copies of my video on YouTube, the top ones making just below $1k per month. Let me emphasize that I never was a proper YouTuber that would upload content on a regular basis. I uploaded this video 6 years ago, it went viral, and that's it. However, I am pretty sure I am still getting ripped off, so I came here for help.

First of all, we are on a profit share of 80/20 for my channel videos (which are currently making close to zero earnings), and 60/40 for ContentID earnings, which sounds ridiculous to me? Also, they provide me with a list of all ContentID videos each month, and it is a real rollercoaster. For example, according to socialblade, this one copy of a video had just around 3M views for 2 consecutive months, yet in the first of these 2 months it made $1300, and in the second just around $700 (with roughly the same amount of views). Is that possible?

After talking to them, I demanded some sort of actual AdSense proof that these videos were actually making that much. Let's be clear here, I have no access to any sort of data on the ContentID part, except for the list that they send me at the end of each month, containing the name of each video and how much it made. Is there anything that can be done about this, do I have any right to any more data about this or am I left to their good will and am just supposed to trust them? Their response was simple, as in they cannot provide any more than what they're providing at the moment.

Also, I am from a pretty unknown European country. The reason I even went with a MCN was because I was unable to monetize videos directly through YT at that time. So, could you please advise me on alternatives, if I have any? If I terminate my contract with the MCN, what's the process of then running ContentID by myself through AdSense, would I have to provide any proof again that the video is actually mine to YT? I am completely lost in these waters and would appreciate any sort of help. I am pretty sure that all the copies of my video make tens of millions of views each month with thousands of $ coming in from ads. Yet, I feel I am not getting the rightful share here. I am obviously also willing to reward anyone with a % of these earnings if they provide me with further steps on how to improve my earnings.

Cheers!
A disappointed MCN user

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
There's a qualifying criteria you must meet in order to get approved for content ID. The most important one being that you have sole exclusive rights to the original video. Ie you're the copyright owner. You can apply for content id here https://www.youtube.com/content_id_signup

However generally I think they only accept large companies, for fear of being sued. It's not written any were that's the case though, but it's something to consider at least. You will need to provide a reference copy of the material so that the content id system can scan for copies and then action what you want I.e monetise, block or mute.

If your application is denied, your best bet is to file a take down notice on each video manually. You absolutely should do something about it as these people are making money off your hard work and that is theft. You could maybe contact each uploader and request a lump sum to use your work or that they remove it immediately. There's plenty of other ways you can make this problem go away without content id. All content id does it make the process easier if you have multiple videos that need protecting like large film companies.

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
this one copy of a video had just around 3M views for 2 consecutive months, yet in the first of these 2 months it made $1300, and in the second just around $700 (with roughly the same amount of views). Is that possible?
It is possible. The length of the video, retention, language, all play important roles. Even the time of the year can significantly change your CPM as one month is more profitable than other. I would not leave the MCN because the chance of you being accepted in Adsense CID is almost zero. You need to own thousands of different videos, music materials and so on to have even a small chance of being accepted. Maybe at 100k subscribers, when YouTube assign you a partner manager, you can somehow negotiate.

GrumpyKitten

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your replies.

Based on what you guys just told me, I guess it really is best to stay with my current MCN. Seems like my best bet is to just try and negotiate a better % deal once the contract expires. This will happen in a year, so I doubt the video will even be making much revenue then.

Cheers :)