Consistency Vs One hit wonders

ChilledAffinity

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is just some food for thought and id like to hear some opinions.

So on FB i have a group chat with a few YT friends. One of them had a review channel and when he went from doing movies to focusing on one series consistently his channel sky rocketed and he went from 200 subs to over 1k in only a few months. once he finished the series the interaction and sub count slowed down.
My other friend in the chat has a gaming channel and he was doing all kinds of games but gradually stopped them and focused on one game called "Heroes of the storm" .. since doing that he also went from 400 to 1.2k in about a week! insane growth for a small channel. my worry is what happens when he finishes the game?

But then there is the other side of it. My channel has consistency but not so focused on only one thing. my growth is steady but small (1-2 subs per day) and because i work with other channels whenever i do a colab i usually see fast growth (40-50 subs per day) On my old channel i was very lucky and had a viral video which shot me up from 500 subs to over 2k in only a few days.. however all the new subs wanted another video like the viral one. which i couldnt provide ..

My thoughts are. I enjoy what i do and have no intention of changing it. but i do wonder if i should narrow it down for some consistency..Im not sure .. I upload every thursday. sometimes its a vlog and other times its one of my series .. I dont much care for the vlogs but my viewers prefer them ... i was considering doing 2 uploads a week and making sure one is always a vlog and on the thursday doing my preferred content .. which also has the issue of work load ..

What id like to know is your thoughts on the subject.. Do you like consistent channels that only ever do the one thing so you know what your getting. or are you more likely to subscribe for the person behind the content and enjoy whatever they choose to make?

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
... he went from 200 subs to over 1k in only a few months. ...
HOLY CRAP! That's a good series of videos apparently.

... he was doing all kinds of games but gradually stopped them and focused on one game called "Heroes of the storm" ..
That's kinda the problem. Video games come and go. One minute they're popular, the next they aren't. You either stay up to date with the latest hottest games, or you fall behind.

I really just subscribe for the personality. One channel I subscribe to (@Crown please don't delete this post, this is just an example. I feel like I need to put this in all my posts.) called ClassicGameRoom. All retro games reviewed, but it's really just his personality that sells it. He is consistent, interesting and funny.

But yeah, if there was someone who just played Heroes of the Storm videos and showing every little trick there was in the game I wouldn't stay subscribed for very long. It would get old pretty quick. You gotta keep moving, changing and really stay focused on what part of your personality shines. Maybe you're a comedian and you need to stick with your jokes regardless of the material. Or, you're a history buff and like talking about the history of video games. Maybe you're a programmer and you talk about how complex a video game is.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's a good question! There are a few channels I follow that are tailored to specific things, because it's a niche they enjoy and know about. But I also subscribe a variety of people because I enjoy their personalities, so the mixture of content they upload is still enjoyable.
I think if you're genuinely passionate about a particular topic and know you can make good and enjoyable content based on that niche, go for it! But it's got to be something you know you'd almost never get bored of.

Plague Ephlik

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
In the gaming scenario I wouldn't recommend attaching yourself to 1 game that has its own community if you know you are doing alot of other things. If you start building a following from that first game then the minute you switch you are going to see the sub to view count ratio and its going to feel like you are starting over every time you do something new. Its a hard thing to pull off unless you are either big already or if people are there for you and not the game.

But since your channel seems to be more about you that is probably the safer bet in the long run. I would take the steady growth.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think being consistent in your videos can lead to more subscribers initially, but as you noticed, they can be extraordinarily fickle when you're not creating the content that they feel they have a right to. Plus, it can take a long time to get the videos that will resonate to be right for the types of subscribers you're looking to generate. The examples you showed were fast upticks, but honestly, what happened after they got a couple thousand subscribers? Did that taper off? Because the channels that really take off are the ones who go from 0-10K in a matter of months and then well beyond that, and those seem to be based on either an incredibly simple idea (I think the hydraulic press channel is a brilliant example of this...just crush things!) or have really attractive/charismatic hosts, or are very funny, or are something that very young kids can watch over and over and over again.

So it depends on your goals, really. I was thinking about experimenting with another channel that I don't connect at all to what I'm doing now, just to see if I could test some theories on video content and seeing if really chasing after something that might just catch attention based on what I think works (content you can watch with or without sound and super-simple, but kind of mesmerizing), but if it did take off, then what? It's not something I'd be terribly pleased to keep up with, just for whatever money YouTube would send over based on ad revenues, unless I did it for years and years, and I'm pretty well compensated at my day job, which I really love.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is just some food for thought and id like to hear some opinions.

So on FB i have a group chat with a few YT friends. One of them had a review channel and when he went from doing movies to focusing on one series consistently his channel sky rocketed and he went from 200 subs to over 1k in only a few months. once he finished the series the interaction and sub count slowed down.
My other friend in the chat has a gaming channel and he was doing all kinds of games but gradually stopped them and focused on one game called "Heroes of the storm" .. since doing that he also went from 400 to 1.2k in about a week! insane growth for a small channel. my worry is what happens when he finishes the game?

But then there is the other side of it. My channel has consistency but not so focused on only one thing. my growth is steady but small (1-2 subs per day) and because i work with other channels whenever i do a colab i usually see fast growth (40-50 subs per day) On my old channel i was very lucky and had a viral video which shot me up from 500 subs to over 2k in only a few days.. however all the new subs wanted another video like the viral one. which i couldnt provide ..

My thoughts are. I enjoy what i do and have no intention of changing it. but i do wonder if i should narrow it down for some consistency..Im not sure .. I upload every thursday. sometimes its a vlog and other times its one of my series .. I dont much care for the vlogs but my viewers prefer them ... i was considering doing 2 uploads a week and making sure one is always a vlog and on the thursday doing my preferred content .. which also has the issue of work load ..

What id like to know is your thoughts on the subject.. Do you like consistent channels that only ever do the one thing so you know what your getting. or are you more likely to subscribe for the person behind the content and enjoy whatever they choose to make?
Congrats on getting 400 subs! I am trying to collab as well

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
for games, i tend to just watch certain youtubers until the series ends on the game im interested in. if their personality has drawn me in enough through the series I will likely subscribe.

just subscribed to sips from his prison architect gameplay :)

ChilledAffinity

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
for games, i tend to just watch certain youtubers until the series ends on the game im interested in. if their personality has drawn me in enough through the series I will likely subscribe.

just subscribed to sips from his prison architect gameplay :)
What about non gamers, what makes you subscribe to them, is it if they do something different to whats out there already or is it more their personality ?[DOUBLEPOST=1469804750,1469804723][/DOUBLEPOST]
Congrats on getting 400 subs! I am trying to collab as well
Er.... im not sure you read my post properly haha xD[DOUBLEPOST=1469804819][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think being consistent in your videos can lead to more subscribers initially, but as you noticed, they can be extraordinarily fickle when you're not creating the content that they feel they have a right to. Plus, it can take a long time to get the videos that will resonate to be right for the types of subscribers you're looking to generate. The examples you showed were fast upticks, but honestly, what happened after they got a couple thousand subscribers? Did that taper off? Because the channels that really take off are the ones who go from 0-10K in a matter of months and then well beyond that, and those seem to be based on either an incredibly simple idea (I think the hydraulic press channel is a brilliant example of this...just crush things!) or have really attractive/charismatic hosts, or are very funny, or are something that very young kids can watch over and over and over again.

So it depends on your goals, really. I was thinking about experimenting with another channel that I don't connect at all to what I'm doing now, just to see if I could test some theories on video content and seeing if really chasing after something that might just catch attention based on what I think works (content you can watch with or without sound and super-simple, but kind of mesmerizing), but if it did take off, then what? It's not something I'd be terribly pleased to keep up with, just for whatever money YouTube would send over based on ad revenues, unless I did it for years and years, and I'm pretty well compensated at my day job, which I really love.

Anyway, I'm rambling.
Thanks for the in depth reply! id be keen to learn the results of your experimental channel! let me know how that goes friend =D[DOUBLEPOST=1469804906][/DOUBLEPOST]
In the gaming scenario I wouldn't recommend attaching yourself to 1 game that has its own community if you know you are doing alot of other things. If you start building a following from that first game then the minute you switch you are going to see the sub to view count ratio and its going to feel like you are starting over every time you do something new. Its a hard thing to pull off unless you are either big already or if people are there for you and not the game.

But since your channel seems to be more about you that is probably the safer bet in the long run. I would take the steady growth.
Thanks for the reply! yeah im choosing to continue on with my steady growth. i just hope my content appeals because i just make content for myself and if others like it well thats great haha[DOUBLEPOST=1469804977][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a good question! There are a few channels I follow that are tailored to specific things, because it's a niche they enjoy and know about. But I also subscribe a variety of people because I enjoy their personalities, so the mixture of content they upload is still enjoyable.
I think if you're genuinely passionate about a particular topic and know you can make good and enjoyable content based on that niche, go for it! But it's got to be something you know you'd almost never get bored of.
aha well i dont think i have a niche unless having fun and adventures is a niche xD but thanks for the feedback! ill continue to do what i do xD[DOUBLEPOST=1469805126][/DOUBLEPOST]
HOLY CRAP! That's a good series of videos apparently.

That's kinda the problem. Video games come and go. One minute they're popular, the next they aren't. You either stay up to date with the latest hottest games, or you fall behind.

I really just subscribe for the personality. One channel I subscribe to (@Crown please don't delete this post, this is just an example. I feel like I need to put this in all my posts.) called ClassicGameRoom. All retro games reviewed, but it's really just his personality that sells it. He is consistent, interesting and funny.

But yeah, if there was someone who just played Heroes of the Storm videos and showing every little trick there was in the game I wouldn't stay subscribed for very long. It would get old pretty quick. You gotta keep moving, changing and really stay focused on what part of your personality shines. Maybe you're a comedian and you need to stick with your jokes regardless of the material. Or, you're a history buff and like talking about the history of video games. Maybe you're a programmer and you talk about how complex a video game is.
Well i think the only thing iv got thats my Shine is my adventuring and fun haha..i wouldnt say im skilled or knowledgeable but i have fun doing it so thats what ill stick too xD thanks for the feedback

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
What about non gamers, what makes you subscribe to them, is it if they do something different to whats out there already or is it more their personality ?
non gamers?
well i tend to sub to animators after 1 great video.
musicians, after listening to a few,
vloggers have to be really funny or interesting because Im not too into vlogs at all,
reviewers, i also pick the funny ones, people like Ashens for instance.

ChilledAffinity

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
non gamers?
well i tend to sub to animators after 1 great video.
musicians, after listening to a few,
vloggers have to be really funny or interesting because Im not too into vlogs at all,
reviewers, i also pick the funny ones, people like Ashens for instance.
Hm, helpful feedback! thanks! see im not sure what my channel is cause i have vlogs and i do put effort in but i dont class myself as a vlogger... my contents a bit... adventurous ? so traveler might be more fitting?
ill try and make my vlogs stand out a bit more though! thanks for the thoughts friend ^__^