Channel Review

ColletteisaBear

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys! So I was hoping to get an honest channel review from those of you who enjoy the style/beauty genre. Sometimes I feel like my channel is growing fairly slowly compared to others, but then sometimes I get suspicious that some people may have bought viewers or subscribers.

A few things that I'm not sure if I'm just being overly picky about or if they actually need to be changed or modified:

1. My user icon. Is it a clickable photo? Or should I try to find something different?
2. Thumbnails. Are they clickable? Or would you pass them by? If so, why, and what are things about other people's thumbnails that pull you into clicking them?
3. My actual on-camera presence: In some of these videos I feel like I excel more than others (mainly because of good days and bad days and also still getting used to feeling comfortable in front of a camera).
4. Upload frequency: I post every Thursday, but am slowly moving to posting Thursdays and Sundays. I post both days at 8 AM Eastern. I feel like the Thursday time and date has been working well, but I'm a little nervous about Sundays.
5. Anything else?

I appreciate any constructive criticism as I'm always trying to better myself. Thanks so much!

EDIT: I've since updated my banner and a few more thumbnails.

Last edited:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I like your banner.. simple but memorable. The thumbnails with you on them are more clickable! 'You' are your brand so maybe good to be on more of them. Same fro your user icon.. Best not to change it is my opinion, just keep your own picture on there. I like your editing and moosic choices.

Reactions: ColletteisaBear

ColletteisaBear

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I like your banner.. simple but memorable. The thumbnails with you on them are more clickable! 'You' are your brand so maybe good to be on more of them. Same fro your user icon.. Best not to change it is my opinion, just keep your own picture on there. I like your editing and moosic choices.

Oh, good idea with adding my face to more of the thumbnails! I shall definitely work on that. Thank you by the way!

Reactions: UhoohExtra

MentallyGames

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Other
1. My user icon. Is it a clickable photo? Or should I try to find something different?
It's fine. You could argue that something with a big smile could be more inviting, but it's not bad at all.

2. Thumbnails. Are they clickable? Or would you pass them by? If so, why, and what are things about other people's thumbnails that pull you into clicking them?
Preference thing, but they are too cluttered for my taste. I believe that people scan thumbnails, so I think most of them would skip yours on the basis of not 1 thing being able to grab their attention.

3. My actual on-camera presence: In some of these videos I feel like I excel more than others (mainly because of good days and bad days and also still getting used to feeling comfortable in front of a camera).
Your own analysis seems pretty spot on. Matter of giving it time and being critical of your own performance, which you seem to do.

4. Upload frequency: I post every Thursday, but am slowly moving to posting Thursdays and Sundays. I post both days at 8 AM Eastern. I feel like the Thursday time and date has been working well, but I'm a little nervous about Sundays.
No real feedback on this one. There are some researches out there that claim to have the best upload dates and times. You could invest some time and make a comparison of those studies (all easily found through google) and see if they line up. Otherwise, it always seems to be a bit of a gamble.

5. Anything else?
I hate your banner (no offence). It tells me nothing about your channel and it is a major contrast compared to your thumbnails. Why not put your upload schedule on there? some tagline that tells me what your channel is about? put your own face on it (you are not exactly ugly so it can only work out well for you). I would try to figure out 1 style for everything graphical and use that style in your banner and thumbnails, so that it's easier for viewers to understand that certain content is yours.

Reactions: ColletteisaBear

ColletteisaBear

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's fine. You could argue that something with a big smile could be more inviting, but it's not bad at all.

Preference thing, but they are too cluttered for my taste. I believe that people scan thumbnails, so I think most of them would skip yours on the basis of not 1 thing being able to grab their attention.

Your own analysis seems pretty spot on. Matter of giving it time and being critical of your own performance, which you seem to do.

No real feedback on this one. There are some researches out there that claim to have the best upload dates and times. You could invest some time and make a comparison of those studies (all easily found through google) and see if they line up. Otherwise, it always seems to be a bit of a gamble.

5. Anything else?
I hate your banner (no offence). It tells me nothing about your channel and it is a major contrast compared to your thumbnails. Why not put your upload schedule on there? some tagline that tells me what your channel is about? put your own face on it (you are not exactly ugly so it can only work out well for you). I would try to figure out 1 style for everything graphical and use that style in your banner and thumbnails, so that it's easier for viewers to understand that certain content is yours.

Thanks for the honest feedback! I didn’t think about putting the Scheduled times on the banner, that’s a great idea! (I changed the banner multiple times because I just never liked it anyways). And for the thumbnails, same thing. Graphic design is not my strong suit I was debating seeing if I could find some students in the area to help me out. But thank you! That definitely helps