Changing a video title?

Deanishes

Reaction score
Hiya,

I've been contemplating going back and fixing some of my titles, adding some keywords and just making the presentation better title/thumbnail wise.

I was wondering what the repercussions of doing this would be? Does it affect anything to do with the search results or how people are able to find the video? I don't see it very often and there are rumours about what it does, but I haven't been able to really confirm anything from googling.

I'm going to spend today checking around forums and whatnot, but this forum has always been helpful, so I thought I would throw it here. If this is the wrong board, feel free to move it, ha.

Thanks all,
Dean.

Vidcast

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do it all the time, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes the thumbnails don't work but I think that's because the files are too big. Go for it, if anything it'll help :)

LeGenDaryPuLse

Rhythm Savage
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I don't think it will change much

Deanishes

Reaction score
I do it all the time, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes the thumbnails don't work but I think that's because the files are too big. Go for it, if anything it'll help :)
Reset your browser cache and you should be able to see the new thumbnails, that happened to me for a little bit, haha.

And in regards to the question, it's more I want to 100% certain it's not going to affect search results in a negative way, I've heard that it appears differently in google as it does youtube if there is a title change and things like that.

I just want to be 100% certain, haha.

TheKirkyLife

The Real James T. Kirk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I change the titles of some videos to see if I can rerank. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes not.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't know how much you need to change for this to happen, but when I've gone through and rewritten large parts of my description and tags, Youtube has reranked my videos in search...so, there must be some sort of threshold for this to happen, but I don't know what that threshold is.

Kirgle

"taking a swipe at everything"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey man, I do this from time to time. Sometimes people arnt searching for the words in the title, so I modify them to hopefully make it better.
It did work a little on one of my videos. Did a complete title change and it started getting found in more searches.

StacyPancakes

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've been doing this lately and like that the time nothing happens but the other half i get a lot more views. I changed some titles on some old videos that had been stagnant and they started getting views again and one of my newer videos only got like 100 views the first week so I changed the name and the second week it got 400 and keeps getting more. I definitely think that's because I changed the title to something more searchable.

BetaCowSSP

#cantstopwontstop
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do change my titles sometimes, but generally I try to avoid large discrepancies between the original and the altered title.

User_36336

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yup. Changing titles, tags and even description could change your position on the search results. But I often get lucky and make it into the first few pages of the search results on which I think is an EH :mstickle:

Reactions: Kyle GWG