Changes to Upload System?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Has anybody else noticed changes to the way videos are uploaded in the last few days?

I can no longer do certain things like add my custom thumbnail while the video is uploading, I must wait until after it had started processing...BUT my videos now get stuck at '0% processing' and often don't process until the next day. That means I now set a video to upload, leave it overnight, but then have to log back in the next morning and go and edit the thumbnail, and often other information too which has disappeared including the tags, the description, even the title.

Its incredibly frustrating, I used to just set my videos to upload, punch in all the details and then leave it overnight to do its thing, but now I have to check on it a few times to make sure everything is right.

So is this just happening to me or did YouTube legitimately change something?

Cvolton

I've Got It
Reaction score
YouTube definitely did change something, however if you're exporting your videos in some other format than MP4/H.264, there might be issues with processing while it's uploading, hence the waiting time. You could never change stuff before YT started processing the vid, however vids can start being processed while they're being uploaded already. What format are you exporting your videos in?

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I cant believe how ling your uploads take, like the guy above me said check your format. I am in the USA so I dont know if you are too but I havent seen any difference. By the time I have all my info in and thumb created it is ready to publish.around 30 min

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Like Zak indicated, based in US as well. I have noticed the times get a bit slower in general on my end, but nothing that crazy. The uploads go pretty quick. During the processing I sometimes get stalled at 95%, then 2 minutes later that clears up and it works.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My vids are all H.264 which is the same as they always have been, yet I've only been having these problems for the last 4 or 5 days.

I definitely used to be able to upload my thumbnails before it was at the processing stage. I would finalise absolutely everything on the upload page and then hit 'Publish' while it was still in the uploading stage.

I'm not saying it used to take all night to upload I'm just saying I used to start it before going to bed and then forget about it, that is how I know I uploaded the thumbnail etc. before it was at the processing stage because I was asleep by the time it got to the processing stage, yet the next morning when I checked my vid was complete, thumbnail and all. It would take maybe 2 or 3 hours to upload and process (my average video around 30 minutes long, HD). I'm in Australia btw.

The upload time itself has not changed, it just doesn't process for ages and I can't edit the things I used to be able to edit during the upload stage.

Last edited:

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have noticed here during my last few uploads that it wont save reliably, usually when i am punching in my tags it will start telling me it couldn't save my draft or whatever. If I give it a while it will eventually save.

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well that's strange, for its faster than ever. Maybe they fixed something in one place by breaking something else where ? :D

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
my videos take a few seconds to upload, a minute at most to process. with all the description writing, it might take about 5 minutes max.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Check your line speed. It may be the ISP.

I find that if MP4 causes problems a change to AVI fixes it. In fact I uploaded the last couple in AVI and had no problems.

Rob