Can someone give my concrete advice

OndaWire

Make me Happy & Follow me to get the REAL on tech
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hi Everyone. I do tech reviews and a company just sent me a product for free. I want to do a review on it but would that be considered sponsorship and do I have to check the box when uploading that the video that it was sponsored even though it was free?
Thanks for the help in advance

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's not necessarily a sponsorship but you have to disclose that they provided the product for free in exchange for a review.

Reactions: OndaWire

OndaWire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It's not necessarily a sponsorship but you have to disclose that they provided the product for free in exchange for a review.
When you say disclose, do you mean say it in the video, just put it in the description or just check the box that says sponsored, OR all 3?[emoji848]

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When you say disclose, do you mean say it in the video, just put it in the description or just check the box that says sponsored, OR all 3?[emoji848]
It is not ethical to review a product without disclosing that you were given that product for free by the manufacturer. Your audience needs to know.

OndaWire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
thank you all for the answers but let me clarify my question. I do product reviews and a company sent me a product without me asking for the product and nor did not ask me to do a review. They just sent it and said see if you like my product. I don't have to do a review but......... just in case I do want to do a review, either if its good or bad, do I have to say it was sponsored? I know this sounds crazy but there are days I go and check my mail and there are like 5-6 products from different companies addressed to me. Most (I mean 75% of them) don't ask for anything and have notes that say, "check out this product we sent you".
Some of the products I like and some I don't but I keep them all. They are not asking for anything in return and just sending things so I am confused how that's sponsored. Apologies for my lack of but, just want to make sure I am not violating any rules.

Last edited:

Bentura Madrid

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Probably a good idea to type in the description as well as say it in the video that you were given the product for free. If your audience sees that you have integrity they most likely won't even care that you were given the product. Also, if you didn't ask for the product and they just sent it to you out of the blue then you don't have to say that it was sponsored...

Reactions: OndaWire

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think it's considered sponsored but like others said, it's probably best to let your audience know that you at least got it for free. that's what I do.